Quantcast

How fat is too fat to fly coach ?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
I am 6'2" and about 325 and flew Southwest a few weeks ago. They are social distancing on all their flights right now which meant a seat in between everyone. I didn't require a belt extender but it was tight. No one next to me meant no issues with room. Southwest does have a policy on costumers of size that allows you to buy 2 seats and if you can use two seats without preventing another passenger having a seat, you get a refund for the second seat. With the social distancing measures right now, the purchase of a second seat may not be necessary.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
I fly with 5'9 and about 330 lbs - carrying on belly, thighs & butt.

(Well I also do all other things in life with that weight too obviously ;))

No one ever raised any concerns when checking in.
correcting weight... about 380 recently.
On my flight last week I had the extender in red which is normally used for infants on the regular seatbelt.
20200718_091501.jpg

With armrest up or in normal position part of my thigh overflow to the neighboring seat.

Flying with family so it was ok.

svenm2112

FA who is embracing his attraction to ssbbw
Frank
I don't know how much time you have to travel from New York City to Las Vegas. How about taking the train? And you can get a room. New York to Chicago and then. Chicago to Los Angeles then on Las Vegas. I think be a little bit more than a plane ticket. But I think you'll be more comfortable. And you get to see the country. And it's a suggestion. Because they don't have no seat restrictions

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
Frank
I don't know how much time you have to travel from New York City to Las Vegas. How about taking the train? And you can get a room. New York to Chicago and then. Chicago to Los Angeles then on Las Vegas. I think be a little bit more than a plane ticket. But I think you'll be more comfortable. And you get to see the country. And it's a suggestion. Because they don't have no seat restrictions
"two souls, alas, are housed within my breast"

Traveling by train is a good thing. But I'd prefer airplane travel when available and reasonable concerning fares and total travel time.
As I usually get the information where I could find my life vests during security presentation because I am often traveling over the sea there is no train option.

op user

correcting weight... about 380 recently.
On my flight last week I had the extender in red which is normally used for infants on the regular seatbelt.
View attachment 136760

With armrest up or in normal position part of my thigh overflow to the neighboring seat.

Flying with family so it was ok.
Dear @DazzlingAnna you know that EASA (and FAA) rules require the arm rest to be down during take off and landing. Aviation geek here willing to break a few rules

How was the flight back?

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
@op user : Armrest was down during take off and landing, on both flights. According to rules ;) (not comfortable though but rule is rule ...)

And surprisingly on the flight back I ordered an seat belt extender when entering the aircraft (as usual) but I didn't need it! Apperently the older aircrafts B737/8 (this one was 10 years old) are more spacious than the one on my outbound flight which was 5 years old. Even the seats were wider - not as much overflowing to my neighbor than a week ago ;)

Shotha

DM Supporter
@op user : Armrest was down during take off and landing, on both flights. According to rules ;) (not comfortable though but rule is rule ...)

And surprisingly on the flight back I ordered an seat belt extender when entering the aircraft (as usual) but I didn't need it! Apperently the older aircrafts B737/8 (this one was 10 years old) are more spacious than the one on my outbound flight which was 5 years old. Even the seats were wider - not as much overflowing to my neighbor than a week ago ;)
Ah, the good old days...