How fat is too fat to fly coach ?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
I am 6'2" and about 325 and flew Southwest a few weeks ago. They are social distancing on all their flights right now which meant a seat in between everyone. I didn't require a belt extender but it was tight. No one next to me meant no issues with room. Southwest does have a policy on costumers of size that allows you to buy 2 seats and if you can use two seats without preventing another passenger having a seat, you get a refund for the second seat. With the social distancing measures right now, the purchase of a second seat may not be necessary.

DazzlingAnna

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Supporting Member
I fly with 5'9 and about 330 lbs - carrying on belly, thighs & butt.

(Well I also do all other things in life with that weight too obviously ;))

No one ever raised any concerns when checking in.
correcting weight... about 380 recently.
On my flight last week I had the extender in red which is normally used for infants on the regular seatbelt.
20200718_091501.jpg

With armrest up or in normal position part of my thigh overflow to the neighboring seat.

Flying with family so it was ok.

svenm2112

I am a ugly man
Frank
I don't know how much time you have to travel from New York City to Las Vegas. How about taking the train? And you can get a room. New York to Chicago and then. Chicago to Los Angeles then on Las Vegas. I think be a little bit more than a plane ticket. But I think you'll be more comfortable. And you get to see the country. And it's a suggestion. Because they don't have no seat restrictions

DazzlingAnna

Supporting Member
Frank
I don't know how much time you have to travel from New York City to Las Vegas. How about taking the train? And you can get a room. New York to Chicago and then. Chicago to Los Angeles then on Las Vegas. I think be a little bit more than a plane ticket. But I think you'll be more comfortable. And you get to see the country. And it's a suggestion. Because they don't have no seat restrictions

"two souls, alas, are housed within my breast"

Traveling by train is a good thing. But I'd prefer airplane travel when available and reasonable concerning fares and total travel time.
As I usually get the information where I could find my life vests during security presentation because I am often traveling over the sea there is no train option.

op user

correcting weight... about 380 recently.
On my flight last week I had the extender in red which is normally used for infants on the regular seatbelt.
View attachment 136760

With armrest up or in normal position part of my thigh overflow to the neighboring seat.

Flying with family so it was ok.
Dear @DazzlingAnna you know that EASA (and FAA) rules require the arm rest to be down during take off and landing. Aviation geek here willing to break a few rules

How was the flight back?

DazzlingAnna

Supporting Member
@op user : Armrest was down during take off and landing, on both flights. According to rules ;) (not comfortable though but rule is rule ...)

And surprisingly on the flight back I ordered an seat belt extender when entering the aircraft (as usual) but I didn't need it! Apperently the older aircrafts B737/8 (this one was 10 years old) are more spacious than the one on my outbound flight which was 5 years old. Even the seats were wider - not as much overflowing to my neighbor than a week ago ;)

@op user : Armrest was down during take off and landing, on both flights. According to rules ;) (not comfortable though but rule is rule ...)

And surprisingly on the flight back I ordered an seat belt extender when entering the aircraft (as usual) but I didn't need it! Apperently the older aircrafts B737/8 (this one was 10 years old) are more spacious than the one on my outbound flight which was 5 years old. Even the seats were wider - not as much overflowing to my neighbor than a week ago ;)

Ah, the good old days...

bellyman

Even if certain aircraft types are wider than others it still depends on the different seating configuration. For example: for B737/8 it is quite common to have 180, 186 or 189 seats.
Whatever the win in width is will probably result in a loss of legroom.

[edit=typos..]
I was in one of those planes this week. At least I think.. It was a 737-800 I believe. It was so small! By that time on my trip i this was my last leg home. 4th airplane in a week. And it was by far the smalllest. Another plane had less legroom. My knees were buried in the seat in front of me and the lights above were literally inches above my head. This plane however was smaller in width, both the isle was noticeably more narrow and the seat was smaller. I barley got the seatbelt shoved in as i pushed back hard on the seat. My heart pounding thinking I was going to have to ask for a seat belt extender for the first time. I was inches before clasping but I forced it. Problem is i guess I had too much good southern food on my trip. When I arrived home, my scales showed I had gained 16 pounds and was 313.

DazzlingAnna

Supporting Member
Asking for a seat belt extension is the first thing I ask the crew when entering the aircraft. I don't see anything shameful about it. I never had a negative experiences with crews about it so far.
(I only gave it back once because for some strange reason I could use the "normal" seatbelt.)
Traveling should be as comfortable as possible. I cannot change the legroom and my knees usually hurt too.
In case the seatbelt is too tight I always use the extender to make it more comfortable.

At first I felt embarrassed to ask for an extension, but now if I need it, I ask. After all, I paid enough for the ticket! Unfortunately not flying much these days 😞.
Not only that, but during one of my recent shifts at the airport, I noticed that some of the female flight attendants are heavier than they used to be. Is this a new trend?

Latest posts