How many people are there over 500lbs?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

shazz2602

doing that think you do
I was just sat here wondering how many men and women are actually out there that are my size and bigger,

I am around 560lbs and 6ft tall and i somtimes feel like im in the 1% of the worlds smallest minority,

So exactly who else is out there??

Ernest Nagel

is old
I recall reading or hearing that there are approximately 3 million people in the US over 550 lbs. No idea where that stat came from, sorry. I've met a number of women much larger than you in my lifetime but I usually had to look to find them. My suggestion would be don't compare yourself to others so much as to who you want to become. There are few objective measures of human beings (ht, wt, wealth, etc.) that mean much in the long run. Lovely people come in all shapes and sizes, that I know. :bow:

steely

Well,I used to be but since my diabetes diagnosis,I've lost around 50 pounds now in the past three months.So,I think that puts me around 450 now.I'm 5' 11".I go back to the doc in a couple of weeks,I'll have a better determination then.If this keeps up,which it most likely will,I'll keep losing.

I'm not exactly happy about this and it's causing me a fair amount of distress.Having a chronic disease and losing weight is tough to take at one time.

So,I still feel like I weigh 500 pounds but I don't.I always will in my head I think.

Ernest Nagel

is old
Per a PM, I have no idea if the statistic I mentioned above is valid or where it came from. It seems high to me, too. Anyone care to proffer a better documented number? I expect someone may have simply extrapolated a standard distribution from the increased number of morbidly obese people? That would have all kinds of problems, obviously. My point that it's basically irrelevant still stand though. :bow:

Zandoz

Highly irregular
If not over 500 (most likely), teetering on the edge.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
You should all wear tee shirts or buttons that say 'Top 1%'

shinyapple

crunchy in milk
I'm in that group with you as well, Shazz....though quite a bit shorter at just under 5'4".

imfree

In Remembrance
I'm 445, and always drifting up. I'll probably join the
500 club in a year or so.

SSBBBWVeuveJenCoBu

I'd rather be at the BBC Proms in London, UK
I'm pretty certain I'm there too, Shazz. Except I'm 5'5.5" tall [aka vertically challenged]. Wish I were taller. What are they feeding kids nowadays? Giraffe milk?:doh:

Ciao hon.:bow:

shazz2602

doing that think you do
It's soo good to know im not the only person on there that is above 500lbs!

I dont know where i get my height from lol maybe it was giraffe milk lol

So how do you all feel about being in that top percentage?

collared Princess

I think its pretty darn cool being in the 1%..I tell skinny chicks all the time that there isnt anything special about them to make them stand out...they are just one of millions like a cookie cutter..I tell them you are just like the next girl and can be replaced very easy by another cookie cutter..but trying to find someone over 500 pounds even in NYC is a rare find...
I think it is great to be us!!!!

Emma

I think its pretty darn cool being in the 1%..I tell skinny chicks all the time that there isnt anything special about them to make them stand out...they are just one of millions like a cookie cutter..I tell them you are just like the next girl and can be replaced very easy by another cookie cutter..but trying to find someone over 500 pounds even in NYC is a rare find...
I think it is great to be us!!!!
I think it's pretty shitty to think you are better than someone because you weigh more (or less). Everyone is one of a kind and you shouldn't look down on others or say unkind things. It's just as bad as picking on people because they're fat. Shame on you! :p

MK3

This website for BMI, though it won't calculate numbers over 440lbs, says that if I weighed 280 pounds I would be in the top 1 percent of society. As such, I'm guessing that being over 500lbs you'd be in the top .01 percent.

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

I suppose 3 million people in the world makes sense but 3 million in the U.S. would put 1 out of every 100 people at +500. According to the statistics from that site the actual number would seem to be nowhere near that.

Group builder