Hunger of the Night - by Nexis (~BBW, Supernatural)

Discussion in 'Fantasy/Science Fiction Archive' started by Nexis, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1

Nexis

Nexis

Nexis

~BBW, Supernatural - A tale of a special kind of vampire

Author’s Note: After a long dry spell, I finally got my writing itch back up and running, and with Halloween coming up I felt it was time to write up an apt story for this lovely season. As such, the works of Mary Shelly's 'Frankenstein' and Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' influenced the creation of this harrowing tale that I hope you enjoy as I continue along with it.
    ----------------------------------------

Hunger of the Night
    By Nexis

Day 1
    6th month, 13th day of year 1622

To whoever finds this journal, know that these are the recounts of Father Dimitri of Holy Roman Catholic Church, of St. Ezekiel’s Parish. As of last night I am now on a pilgrimage ordained by Bishop Makarov to hunt down a creature of the night that has plagued not only our town but is now making a path across the countryside. While others may feel that beings of darkness are only tales to scare children to behave, I know that there are indeed demonic presences that hunt through our mortal realms; for I have seen the creature firsthand, and she is a vampire unlike that I have ever imagined before.

The previous night I was performing my duties of keeping maintenance of the church, until the silence of the night was interrupted by a shrill cry in the night. Dropping my broom, I rushed out into the courtyard, the light of the full moon illuminating the garden and stone fountain, and upon two figures that were casting shadows upon the ground. Muttering a prayer to the Holy Lord, I noticed the limp and gasping form of Sister Elena, a woman of soft heart and softer frame…however now she seemed like a ghost of her former self; her body was as thin as a fresh sapling, her habit hanging loosely on her and her eye wide in horror, trickles of blood trailing from two holes on her neck. Lowering her emaciated body onto the fountain’s stone was the figure of a woman, whose girth was unlike anything I could imagine; clad in a black and dark red dress of satin and lace, her pale upper arms and bare back gave a nearly otherworldly glow in the moonlight, thick with fat as the tress seemed tightened on her figure, her waist and stomach visible as I viewed her from behind. With a quick turn to see me as she heard my footsteps, my blood went cold as I saw her fully now; her chest and stretched out the confines of her corset, pale flesh overflowing top and bottom as her thick legs were encased in black boots at the bottom of her dress. But it was her face that truly chilled me; a waterfall of ebon hair framed the fullness of her moon-like face, a sliver of a diagonal scar the only marking on her near porcelain skin, dark eyes shining and piercing, and crimson thick lips like rose petals, stained with fresh blood. ‘My God, she’s draining her blood…and her body,’ I thought as I held the lantern up, staring at the demonic woman in slight horror as she stared back with her dark eyes in slight surprise to see me. Standing to her full height, her ringed fingers flicked as her body became encased in black smoke until it shot into the night sky to the east, leaving me and Sister Elena as I rushed to her side. Luckily she was still breathing as I brought her inside, waking up as many as I could with my yells of help as my mind was mixed with fear for her safety, and the fear of seeing the massive woman that had caused this.

As Elena was being taken care of, Bishop Makarov asked me of what had occurred to cause the Sister’s body to shrink as much as it did. Recanting what I saw to him, a grave look came upon his face as he informed me that this was not the first time that he was aware of the existence of vampires, let alone creatures such as her that I had encountered; a ‘fatpire’, a woman of the night who feasted both on the blood of their victims but mostly from the girth of them, transferring it to their own body and leaving their victims barely alive. As I heard the last part the Bishop assured me that Elena would be fine thanks to me getting to her as quickly as I did, but was concerned at the creature’s escape. He knew that unless she was stopped, there would be more victims like Elena throughout the countryside. Eventually, I requested from the Bishop that I be the one to find the fatpire and bring her to justice, to which he warned that it would be a long journey to find her, and that I may not return. However I simply replied that if I did not go, then like he said there would be more victims like Sister Elena, and after seeing her face, I knew it was my duty to find her.

Realizing that I was set in my conviction, Father Makarov and the other brothers of the clergy began to prepare for my pilgrimage as I rested for the night, awakening for breakfast and a farewell from my fellow brothers and sisters, filled with prayers of safe travel and care. Father Makarov brought me aside as he gave me a sack filled with rations, a bag of coins, papers of travel that allowed me passage and sanctuary throughout the countryside, and the tools of vampiric exorcism; holy water, a gold cross, a stake, and a crossbow and short blade if I needed to defend myself, which I prayed wouldn’t be needed. After thanking him, he gave the blessings of St. Christopher, patron saint of safe travels, I gathered my belongings and made my way to the carriage station for the next town, which I am now riding in. As I look out across the passing countryside, my hand gently clasps around the pendant around my neck as I pray to the Lord that I may save the potential victims of this woman of darkness, and that the next time we met my own life would be protected from her. While I myself am a man of rather thin build, I have no doubt that the look she gave me was that of hunger, or of something more which I may find out about upon our next confrontation.

May God watch over me and all of His lost sheep.

2. Oct 9, 2011 #2

Nexis

Nexis

Nexis

Day 4
    6th month, 17th day of year 1622

It has been some time since I had wanted to continue my journal entries, but not much had occurred during my carriage ride to the town; however once I got there that was another story. Upon reaching the lakeside town, I thanked the carriage driver and made my way to the mayor’s office, presenting myself as a brother of the cloth with my seal as the mayor was rather grateful to hear my reason for coming. The mayor informed me that outlaying towns beyond my original traveling path had similar situations such as Sister Elena, women who were once callipygian of figure accosted in the night by a woman of wide waist and sharpened fangs, leaving them weakened and as thin as a scarecrow. The mayor was worried that the women of his town may be attacked sometime soon, given the dark woman’s path of feasting and the fact that there were some women of larger expanse, such as the local baker. After receiving a free room at the local lodgings from the mayor, I thanked him and made my way through the town, the townsfolk busy with their daily duties as I asked for directions to the bakery until the smell of fresh bread eventually lead me to it.

Upon entering the store, I could see why the mayor spoke of her as a possible target; the baker was indeed a woman who appreciated her craft, her hefty stomach and wide hips confined in an olive dress and apron, her fat arms carrying a wooden tray filled with baked sweets as she placed them on the counter to cool. Wiping a bead of sweat from her full face, she adjusted her auburn hair in a bun as she smiled to me, asking how she could help me. Greeting her with a bow, I explained who I was and how I was following the claims of a vampire along the countryside, and how women of larger figure had been her target. ‘Well I suppose that means you believe that I’m the next ‘victim’, or that she’s grown fond of sweets as well’ the baker chuckled, her tone of slight skepticism which I felt was understandable. Assuring her with a smile that from the smell of her food alone would draw many to her store, I continued to inform her about Sister Elena’s attack, which caused her dubious smile to lower. Upon realizing that the danger was real, the baker sighed as she folded her arms over her wide chest, pondering out loud how she was going to protect herself when all she had for weaponry was a rolling pin.

I assured the full figured woman that I would gladly serve as vigil tonight for her, since I had suspicion that the fatpire would be coming to this town for her next meal. Adding to my assurance for her I added that I would mark the doors of her bakery and her bedroom with holy water to prevent her from entering; even if vampires could only enter a house if they are let in, we agreed that having extra precautions would be for the best. Informing her that I would keep watch during the night, the baker accepted these terms, feeling more relieved that she had a ‘guardian angel’ watching over her. We decided to meet at dusk as the sun was beginning to set and I still needed to drop my bags and prepare for my night watch as we bade farewell as she went back to continue her baking as customers came in to buy her wares.

As the sun set over the woodland horizon I made my way to the bakery, stopping at the front door as I made the sign of the cross across it with my bottle of holy water until the baker let me in, handing me a cup of apple tea as she looked at the short sword hanging awkwardly from my belt. I stated that this was another precaution in case it was needed as she laughed ‘Well with such a well-armed guard I’ll be able to sleep soundly tonight.’ She kept me company for some time until she retired for the evening, leaving me to my own as I opened up my journal and has left me to this moment; for now things are calm, but I shall keep vigil and hope that the night-

Day 5
    6th month, 18th day of year 1622

It seems that my luck as a guardian angel was short-lived as my unfinished entry from last night can attest. As I was writing the sentence, I had heard the baker moving from the other room and opening the window, hearing silence for a moment and then the groaning of the floorboards, yet no footsteps. That was when I had realized something that made me jump to my feet; I had not covered the baker’s window with a water cross. Dashing to the back room, I slammed my shoulder into the door with my blade drawn as it swung open, raising my blade as my heart jumped once again at the familiar sight.

The fatpire was staring at me once more, a blood-dripped smile from her lips as she held the much thinner form of the baker against her fatter frame, larger than the last time we met as her dress showed more of her pale flesh, the ample adipose spilling from all openings as she dropped the baker onto her bed. I was frozen as I held the blade shakily in my hand, staring the massive woman whose pale stomach rested to her knees as she spoke with a honey coated tone that shook me to the very core. ‘It appears that you are persistent in ending me, or is there more to this, Father Dimitri?’ she stated, licking her blood stained lips as she slowly walked forward, forcing me into a corner as I held my blade forward, causing her to laugh. ‘Oh there’s no need to be afraid, I’ve had my fill for the night, and you’re hardly a threat to me’ the fatpire told me, one hand slowly pushing my hand away as the other gently traced the spherical pendant on my chest, moving close to me so that her engorged front pressed into my lithe frame. I began to pray for God’s strength or His salvation of my soul, I stared into her eyes as my heart began to beat faster as she moved close to my ear as she whispered ‘If you wish to end this one way or another, continue your quest to Castle Vildikhov and enter my domain; however, it’s a long travel there and I will get hungry, so feel free to try and stop me then. Until then my dear priest, I look forward to our next meeting, and my next meal.’ Leaving with a kiss on my cheek that sent an icy chill down my spine, she covered herself in her darkness once more and escaped through the window, leaving me still holding my blade as I dropped it to tend to the now slightly plump baker, her unconscious body otherwise in stable condition as I went to find the mayor.

And now I write this as I wait for the carriage out of the town, after making sure that the baker had recovered. When she awoke in the mayor’s home after receiving proper care, she apologized to me for falling for the fatpire’s ploy as she had piqued her curiosity at the window. I assured her that it was not her fault, and the fact that she was safe mattered more than who was right or not as she nodded and chuckled, stating how she’ll have to work more to have her former figure back. ‘After all, it makes more sense to buy baked goods from a full-figured one than a thin one’ she chuckled, relieving me that her spirit was not drained as well. After saying my farewell to her and the mayor who wished me good hunting, I now find myself on the trail once again, with a destination and conviction to find the fattened female before more innocent ones become her victims.

…or before she comes after me for whatever view of prey she has for me…

3. Oct 10, 2011 #3

Kenster102.5

Kenster102.5

Kenster102.5

GAAAAAAARRRRRRR...moar....moar...please. Man I like the month of October, great stuff comes out.

4. Oct 10, 2011 #4

Nexis

Nexis

Nexis

Day 7
    6th month, 20th day of year 1622

For the last two days my nights have been…uneasy to say the least, for the peaceful embrace of the night’s rest has been anything but for me. Ever since the previous encounter with the fatpire, my dreams have been filled with, rather haunting and vivid dreams. The most recent one seemed to be fairly normal in the beginning; I had begun to prepare for the evening sermon at St. Ezekiel’s, lighting the candles around the altar as the fire’s glow illuminated the stone pillars and pews of the sanctuary. As I lit the last candle and clasped my hands together in a quiet prayer, my ears were accosted by a soft and familiar whisper that chilled me to the bone. ‘Do you really believe that your God can protect your flock Father? No, those delicious lambs are ripened for the slaughter, and your vigilance will only lead those lovely morsels closer to me, no matter how hard you try’ she cooed, the candles flickering out one by one as I spun around to search for her, muttering prayers to as many saints as I could recant as a haunting laugh echoed through the chapel.

‘What’s the matter Dimitri, are you frightened for your ‘children’? For yourself? Or…do you feel something more in regards to me?’ the last question was whispered into my ear as I felt the caress of her fingernails gently scratching across my cheek as I whipped around to see the last of the candles flicker out, calling out ‘I will not let you haunt me, predator of the innocent! You may try to trick me with your wiles, but I will not let you harm another woman, nor will you claim my soul!’ ‘Oh sweet, innocent Dimitri, how can I claim your soul…’ the fatpire called out as I ran through the darkness, frantic as I turned to see her, face to fat face, her soft hand on my cheek as her cold breath whispered ‘when I have always had it?’ I awoke in a cold sweat, my heart pounding and my hand clenched over the pendant on my chest as I looked at the night sky from the window. I now write this page of the journal by moonlight, my heart finally calmed down as I plot my next point of travel, fearing that the next time I slumber may be perversed by her once more. I pray that my next meeting with her outside the realm of sleep I can end this madness, else I may receive more than a simple scratch from within my own dreams and more women will fall to her.

Day 10
    6th month, 23rd day of year 1622

The past few days I have been passing through small settlements along the carriage’s path to our destination, hearing whispers and tales of the fatpire’s attacks. It seems that as I make my path further to the carriage’s last town stop, she has been making her own sojourn across the countryside, feasting on more women as her hunger seems almost insatiable. Perhaps that is why my dreams have been so vivid as of late, perhaps she stalks me as well as I rest, her dark magic allowing her to penetrate my mind so that she could further torment me. What foul force could have done this to a once normal woman, to turn her into a hunter of humans that feasted on the living and large? Even if I halt her, would there be others to take her place, other women who crave for the blood and bulk of their former kind, let alone the vampires who hunt purely for the life flow that the Lord has given us?

No, I cannot falter in faith, not in the Lord’s strength and his choice to make me his messenger of hope, nor in my own strength of will. I chose to go upon this pilgrimage to save her future victims, yet I will be of no use if I cannot save myself from her temptations. She may hunt me along with her prey of hunger, coming at me from within my mind and as I travel, but I will no longer falter. This voracious vampire will not see me as her plaything, even if she may use her charms of the dark to try and claim me. My heart will be steadfast and my faith will be the compass that guides me to Castle Vildikhov to end this madness and protect her next target.

…I will not lie though, I do feel apprehension in meeting her once more even with my steeled resolve. Her voice, it is a siren’s call that chills me to the soul, both seeped in darkness, and yet soothing like a gentle lover’s caress. It chills me to think that her enticements are so strong, that her dark powers are able to stir these buried feelings within my heart, and her figure, even if it is a testament to her siphoning of size, allures my mortal urges as well. But I know I cannot fall prey to her spider’s web, for if I let the darkness of her seduction and hunting beckon me into it, I may never see the light of life once again.

5. Oct 10, 2011 #5

IrishBard

IrishBard

IrishBard

womble/leprechaun hybrid!

this is great stuff. please, feed my literary hunger!

6. Oct 10, 2011 #6

Nexis

Nexis

Nexis

Thanks for the kind words so far folks; I should have the next chapter rolling along in a couple of days once things calm down schedule-wise and my creativity gets back as well.

7. Oct 21, 2011 #7

weightedalternatives

weightedalternatives

weightedalternatives

Weighted Alternatives

Love the supernatural elements of the story mixed with fat description. Good stuff. :eat2:

8. Oct 22, 2011 #8

Nexis

Nexis

Nexis

Day 14
    6th month, 27th day of year 1622

My nights have been slightly more at ease ever since my more recent nighttime encounter from the huntress of hunger, aside from the last night, which truly was…perhaps I should explain what it was about to divulge into what its effect was on me. Last night’s solace was one of my past, before I was a man of the cloth and lived a simpler life in my home town, a young lad enjoying what the world had blessed me with. The times spent with my family, helping my mother taking care of the house, traveling with my father on his merchant runs, playing in the fields, my first love’s kiss taken under a moonlight sky, even as I touch this pendant I am reminded of the warmth that my young heart was filled with in those simple moments of life.

And yet, that is all they are now, moments in the past, only to be remembered, and to be reminded of that fateful eve when it was taken away from me. The dream returned to that moment, where I had meant to change my life for myself, and for her; Morgana, friend since my childhood, voice of reason when my path turned astray, and the woman who brightened my world with her very presence. Her radiance and beauty always brought me to awe, her fair skin untouched by any form of disfigurement, emerald eyes that reflected the very life of nature, and ebony locks like silken night, Morgana’s presence truly was a blessing from the Lord to be with such a man like myself.

That night of the dream’s setting was the night that would change it all in my life; with my earnings granting me a band of gold, I had gathered the courage to finally ask Morgana to be my wife. However, as I traveled to her home under the light of a blue moon, I felt something as I reached the open door; a dark, malicious power, one that creeps through nightmares and spreads fear through the hearts of mortals, punctuated by the scream of Morgana from within. Rushing into the house, I saw to my horror my beloved, a fresh slash across her cheek among broken furniture struggling against the figure of another woman, one cloaked in black and her head covered, but the dark eyes and sharp fangs made it clear what she was; a vampire. Fear gripped me momentarily until Morgana screamed out my name, causing my body to dart forward to save her. The vampire laughed as she snatched Morgana up, my hand grasping for my love but only clasping at her pendant as the dark fiend pulled her through the window and me along with it, the chain snapping as I fell to the ground below, the last sounds of the night was the last I heard of Morgana, calling my name as she was taken into the darkness, never to be seen again.

My life was a shell of the happiness I once took for granted, all that was left of it being the pendant symbol of the light of my life, and the band of gold, a promise unfulfilled that I still carry to this day. Seeking guidance when my heart had been filled with sorrow, I turned to the church for solace, devoting my life to the people and to the Lord to feel like I was still capable of doing something worth meaning in a world where life was so fragile. And now here I am, years later as a man of the cloth searching for guidance for my soul and for the people. My life’s journey to this point was born from losing a loved one to the forces of darkness, and now I trail after another to stop her blight from spreading. I…am aware that it will not bring her back, but if I can stop this fatpire, then maybe I can finally forgive myself for not being able to save her years ago.

Morgana, my love, watch over me…

Day 16
    6th month, 29th day of year 1622

While I have made it to my next destination, a riverside town full of hard-working people, my mission took an, unexpected turn to say the least. Upon finding residence in the local inn, I questioned the owner about any disturbances in regards to the creatures of the night, to which he replied that the only real information people had was a scholar who had collected tomes and volumes in regards to the devil’s disciples for use by the clergy to counter any foul fiends. Thanking the inn keeper for the directions, I added to the conversation about my current mission, and the possibilities of who may be the next target. Cleaning a pewter mug, the inn owner scoffed slightly as he added, “Friend, the only one in this town even close to that would be the countess, and that’s just because she’s been stuffing her fat face with our hard earned taxes. Frankly I’d prefer seeing her knocked off that high horse, even if it was by one of those cursed bloodsuckers.”

The fact that the other bartenders raised their glasses to this should have been enough of a foretelling of the rotund ruler’s notoriety, but I still felt bound by my duty to warn her of the perils that may lie ahead. Walking through the streets I could see what the bar patrons meant; many of the villagers seemed worn physically and spiritually, life’s hard work weighing on them as they continued on with their daily activities while the manor of the countess lay ahead, large and regal in its presence.

After waiting for some time in the main lobby as the servants relayed my wishing to meet with their mistress, I eventually was allowed into the dining room, to which I found that the villager’s description of the countess was not off at all. Surrounded by plates and goblets both empty and filled, the countess indulged herself in a seemingly endless feast, her figure surpassing even the mass of my target. Clad in a regal blue dress that clung to her figure, her form truly was immense, a stomach pressing her thick legs aside as it never seemed to be satiated by its owner’s hunger. A large tablecloth adorned over her generous chest, showing that even in her gluttony her manners were still prevalent as her plump fingers used it to dab sauce from her jowls. Taking a moment to have a long draught from her goblet, the countess stared at me with her amber eyes, adjusting the bun of golden hair behind her head.

“So priest, my servants tell me that you wish to protect me from a beast of the night, despite the fact that I am aptly guarded as you can see; tell me, why should I bother with the musings of fairy tales from a holy man?” the countess laughed, clearly skeptical of my warnings. “My lady, while it does seem rather unbelievable, I implore you that the warning I carry is real. I have seen this fiendish woman’s work firsthand, and I have no doubt that she will-“ my reasoning was cut off with a wave of her ham-hock hand as she scoffed “Enough! Save your talk of black magic and divine intervention for one who would fall for it; I have no use for such nonsense, so begone, I have a meal that you have interrupted.”

Dejected despite my best intentions, I was ushered out of the mansion and back out to the streets, realizing that the corpulent countess would most likely not let me in again, despite the danger which would be looming over her in the near future. Resigning to at least prepare myself for when I would be facing the fatpire again, my wanderings followed the inn keeper’s advice to a large building on the outskirts of town, owned by a small sect of monks that kindly greeted a fellow son of the Lord. Upon stating my ordained duty, the monk I spoke with lead me through the halls of their library by candlelight to a section filled with tomes and volumes dedicated to the fight against the unholy army of the underworld. After thanking the monk and making myself comfortable at a table, I began to do research in the origin of the vampiric curse, predominately in regards to the fearsome fat female that has been toying with me as a cat plays with a mouse, before the kill.

As I write these words under the light of the moon, I have found more about the origin of the fatpire through a tome from the days of the early church. As it is commonly known, a mortal may be turned into a vampire in a way akin to the manner from which they are drained, known simply as the ‘Dark Ritual’; by placing a part of their essence into their victim, a vampire may create another rather than leaving an emptied husk of a person.

This tome however has revealed to me that there is another form of transformation born from these sinister dark arts. If a woman is turned under the glow of the orange moon, the ‘Moon of Hunger’ as the phase is called, then their transformation is altered by this effect, changing the mortal not only into the creature they become, but what they prey upon. They gain the hunger of the night, feasting on the blood and bulk of women to satisfy their own bulk, ever prowling from their ‘nests’ for their next meal, their dark magic allowing them to travel as swift as a crow in the night when they become profound in their proportions. Furthermore, it states that while they carry many of the weaknesses of the vampire (despise for sunlight, holy water, and the like) they are physically and magically stronger than their blood-drinking kin, able to stalk and haunt mortals in the realms of the wake and the dream, as I can attest to. However, there is a particular passage that speaks of a theory; that in the glow of the Moon of Hunger, a fatpire slain may return to her mortal form to live once more, but only during that time and by a hand whose determination and will are absolute.

It is here that I stop to wonder; what should I do with this information that I’ve garnered from this ancient tome? Can I truly bring this woman back from the clutches of darkness, back to the realm of the living, or is this only speculation and wishful thinking? And even if it were to be true, would all the suffering and strife that she has caused, does she truly deserve such atonement? No, I cannot think such thoughts; even if I despise those of her kind for what they’ve done, the chance for reconciliation is something that everyone should have, even someone like her. And yet, will I have the chance to when I reach her castle, for even if the moon will change in the upcoming days to that fated glow, will I have the strength to face her when she has already invaded my mind, and perhaps my heart as well? Much ways upon my mind, perhaps stepping out for some fresh air might do my heart some respite…

Day, there is no need for this, for it is still the same as the last entry…
    By the grace of God, I…I can barely comprehend what, I…I need to calm myself, write down what I saw, so that I can prove that this happened…

After my last entry, I had made my way through the town, past the pathway to the dimly lit mansion of the countess, most likely consuming more of her people’s earnings gotten by greed. Putting it past my mind, I eventually reached the riverside, the slow moving waters easing my mind that was torn with indecision. How often did I seek solace outside of myself, to look to the sky in search of the answers that so eluded me in my daily life? How often did I just find comfort in the stars of the night, dreaming of the past, of her…?

“Looking for the answers in the stars? Well if you were searching for me, look no further Dimitri,” came the icy chuckle I have come to know, her voice deeper now as I turned to face her in shock. The fatpire had most likely claimed the countess, for her form truly was immense, pale flesh flowing from her dark outfit that gave an eerie glow of light against shadow. Her stomach rested to her thick knees, barely contained in her dress and corset, the top of which held back a deluge of flesh that peaked to a full moon face, dark trickles of blood alongside her thick lips, curled into a devilish smirk as she licked it off.

“I must say, I’m partially surprised that you weren’t at that mansion waiting to get me; then again, that boorish baroness didn’t seem to appreciate your warnings until they were too late. To be honest though, she did taste a bit bitter, too spoilt rotten from draining her people dry, so why not return the favor?” she chuckled, causing her body to shake as I put my hand to my belt, cursing my luck that I had left my equipment back in the library.

“So this makes you some form of vigilante then; stealing from the corrupt to make yourself even more such?” I replied calmly as she simply flashed a fanged grin “Oh I’d say it was more of doing what comes naturally; after all, I am something that few or either our kind could comprehend. My powers are beyond whatever you or your church could fathom, the very essence of the night is at my beck and call…but, even a queen of the dark needs a king. I can see it in your eyes and heart Dimitri, your mind has been all but filled with me, be it in your dreams or in your waking moments. Oh you may deny it, claim that you’re stronger than this, but deep down, I know you desire me” she said with a bone-chilling smile, my fists clenched and teeth grit as I remembered who my heart belonged to, and what took her.

“I will not yield to your temptations! You claim that you know me and that you know my soul, but I know what you are! A predator, feasting on those you deem lambs for the slaughter, just like I have seen in the past! But you will not take me, I will not lose myself to the abyss that took her away from me!” I yelled, the pendant of my love gleaming in the light of the stars as the fatpire was taken aback by my outburst.

Staring it around my neck, she simply stated “So, after all these years you have kept it, even when she was taken from you like a wisp of smoke in the night; to care for her even now, those truly were the eyes of a man bent on saving his soulmate I saw long ago.” “You…you were the one who took her…you took Morgana that night…” I hoarsely said, shock gripping my very core as the fatpire closed her eyes and chuckled slightly “You are half correct, but that night your love was taken…”

“…but from that night, I became something more than the woman you loved, my Dimitri…”

The world seemed to grow mute around me, my pulse stopping as I heard what this woman had told me. Staring into her eyes, into her face that had softened into a slight smile, the diagonal scar on her cheek bringing me back to that fateful night when she received it, my hand clenching the metal around my neck. “No…it, it cannot be, Morgana…why…” I barely whispered as I soon began to hear the voices of the countess’ guards across the townside, looking for their mistress’ assailant.

“All will be answered at Castle Vildikhov, but know that you must make a choice now” she said, ponderously walking towards me as black mist began to envelop her, planting a soft kiss on my cheek as the flood of memories those rosy lips brought back came fresh as she whispered “Do you chose your Order, or your love? I will be waiting for you Dimitri, one way or another we shall have absolution; until then, farewell my beloved,” as she faded into the darkness of night, leaving me where I stood as I fell to my knees, the weight of it all crashing on my shoulders as the noise of the guards seemed like a distant hum in the night.

…and now it has come to this; after the countess’ guards found me, more understanding for my purpose now that their mal-hearted maiden was unfit to rule the town in her emaciated state, I returned to gather my belongings from the monks’ library and rest at the inn. I cannot fathom what to do now, how to proceed with such a torn heart as my own. How can I bring myself to face Morgana as I had intended, to confront the woman who has been blighting me these past weeks only to find out that I am ordained by my church to slay my love? And if I am to, will I be able to do it on that fated moon, so that I may fulfill both my duty and my heart? No matter the decision, my final destination awaits me, as does my destiny…

…and whatever path I take, may God have mercy on my soul, and on Morgana’s…

9. Oct 30, 2011 #9

Nexis

Nexis

Nexis

Day 23 (final day)
    7th month, 6th day of year 1622

…It has finally come to this…for better or worse, this will be my last journal entry; if anyone is to find this not on my possession, then know that these are the last words I speak…

After reaching a trading outpost 4 days ago, I have decided to travel on foot for the rest of the journey. I had passed through a town on my way to the castle, and many of the inhabitants of the small town forewarned me of the darkness and horrors looming in the walls that even God has forsaken. These warnings fell on deaf ears however; I simply gathered supplies and continued onwards, my heart and mind still battling over what my ultimate decision will be as I entered the path through the dark woods.
    As of now I can see in the horizon the looming spires of Castle Vildikhov rising across the cloudy night sky…which means that I will not be blessed with the light of the moon if the legends were to be true. It’s strange, but even though the villagers said that the woods were cursed from the castle’s influence, I have felt no such presence. It’s as if…she’s watching me, guiding me to our fated meeting…

Why must it come to this Lord? Have I not been devout in my penance and obligation, why must I be tasked with such a tormenting choice of love over duty? I do not doubt your wisdom, but for a broken mortal like myself, I feel that I am only being tormented further. To have to slay the woman that I loved, who I thought to have been lost forever, only to return tainted by the darkness, it is more than a man’s heart can bear. I want to save her, to bring her back from the abyss that has taken her, but am I strong enough? Will my heart be able to make that decision, even if it is to end her life after all these years? And yet, if I do nothing then more people will suffer, and more of her kind may be created…or I may fall to the darkness myself…

It seems that no matter what path I take, once I step past that doorway into the castle, I will not come out the same, or even come out at all. But I know that I cannot turn back, I cannot leave Morgana knowing what has happened to her, and what she will continue to do if left unchecked. Whatever happens to me, may the Lord accept my prayers of forgiveness for my weak soul, and to Morgana…if you read this, then know I have always loved you, and always will…

With a heavy sigh, the priest closed his small leather-bound journal, placing it back on his person as he gazed at the opened steel gates to the stone steps for the castle’s entrance. Checking upon his person the engraved white wood stake and his cross, Dimitri’s footsteps take him closer and closer up to the ominous bastion, the large wooden doors standing before him as he reaches for the handle with a shaky hand. However, the door slowly opens before his hand touches the brass, causing him to step back and his eyes widen in surprise as he saw the ethereal form of Morgana…or rather, Morgana from his childhood, smiling at him. “You’re late Dimitri, you always have the worst sense of time you know that?” the girl chuckled, turning to run into the castle as the form disappeared into dark smoke, the memory of his past from when he heard her say that phrase to her. Shaking off the apparition, he entered the castle, the doors closing behind him as he further walked through the torch-lit hallways, ornate armors and tapestries lining the dark walls.

The castle truly was impressive within its walls, the dimly lit passages leading to multiple rooms and passageways until he reached the main dining hall where he gripped the hilt of his blade, expecting to see his transformed love once again, but yet he once again came face to face with another apparition sitting at the large table, looking to him with a plate that had a pastry on it. “Happy birthday Dimitri; I know it’s a little bit burnt, but trust me, it’ll taste delicious” the teenaged Morgana smiled sheepishly as he walked closer, her form once again turning to wisp with the pastry, leaving him alone with the sound of the roaring fireplace. “Why, why do you keep showing me these, why must I relive the past?” he muttered, sheathing his blade but still holding to his stake as he turns to the adjacent hallway to find the real Morgana.

Finally, Dimitri reached the engraved doors of what he believed to be the master bedroom, the priest’s heart racing as his hand pressed against the door handle, pushing it open as he saw yet another apparition, before she was taken from him. Sitting at the bed, Morgana smiled to her as she said “Tonight really was such a wonderful night Dimitri, even if the weather wasn’t perfect. Thank you, I truly am blessed to be with such a man that I love” as with one last smile, she faded into the air. Tears welling in his eyes, Dimitri grit his teeth as he called out “Is this what you want Morgana?! How much longer must you torment me?!? Was losing you once not enough heartbreak for me to bear, that you must further drive the knife into my heart with these visions of the past?!”

“Is that not what you planned to do with that stake and my heart?” came the familiar voice as he turned to the open archway leading to an overlook of the courtyard, the fatpire standing before him. Her body truly was massive now, gravid with her feasts and yet still carrying her womanly figure amongst the adipose contained in her dress, the full moon of her face staring at her lover. Wiping the tears from his eyes, Dimitri pocketed the wooden instrument as he stared into Morgana’s red eyes “I…I want to know what happened, why you became this, why you didn’t try to come and find me.” Closing her eyes with a heavy sigh, her face softened from the predatorial gaze he was used to as she beckoned him to follow, moving out into the courtyard under the cover of the clouds as Dimitri followed her swaying and undulating backside.

“The night that I was taken, the vampire had injured me enough so that she could take me to here, her castle home. She kept me alive, hiding in the day with me bound and slowly draining me of my blood. It, was tormenting, like a cat playing with a mouse before the kill, my soul wavered in my will to live, until that fated day when we arrived at her castle” she said somberly, reaching a wide stone bench by a fountain that she lowered herself onto, filling out the space as the water reflected only the darkened sky. “I had wondered why she had kept me alive for so long, and then she finally revealed it to me when night came; she wished to turn me into one of her kind, a creature of the night to drain the blood of the living to their demise. As weakened as I was, I could do nothing but think of you…of the life that was going to fade away as I gazed to the sky while she bit me one last time. And then I saw it, the orange moon, and its light burning into me as the transformation began. It was unlike anything I had ever felt; searing pain, a rush of energy, and the hunger, a hunger as if I had not eaten in months as my body took the physical changes.”

“When it was over, I became a creature of the night, while that blighted vampire laughing over me as she asked ‘So how does it feel to be like me now?’ I simply said ‘hungry’ and returned the favor to her by biting her neck. I drained her not of blood, but of her flesh, my anger and newfound famine clouding my mind until all was left was a shocked husk, her body turning to dust as I saw the effects of my attack on my body. I felt power, not just from draining her, but from what I had become, a being that had transcended both mortal and vampire, and while my waistline would widen it mattered not to me; the hunger and the feeling of being more than alive was worth it…and yet, even then I felt empty. I began to think of you, of the life I had before it was taken from me, and I knew that I had to see you once more. Having to travel under the dead of night, I returned to our village to not draw attention, only to find that you had left to join the Holy Order. I knew that it would have been too much for us both to see each other again, so I fled back to Vildikhov where I took residence as the vampire of this land, or fatpire as others have called me. Until that fateful day, when our paths crossed again and lead us to this moment” Morgana said, her plump hands resting at the edges of her bloated stomach and thick thighs, looking up to her mortal love with saddened eyes.

Dimitri looked at her, his own face saddened at her tragic tale as she said softly “All these years, I had thought that you were dead Morgana, my heart felt like it would never heal from the scar of that night, of not being able to save you from-“ as the bloated blooddrinker held her hand up “Please, don’t do that to yourself; I do not blame you for what happened, and seeing my pendant makes me realize that you still hold onto me. Dimitri, I don’t want this to end with more tragedy, we can make this right.” “What do you mean?” he asked as Morgana slowly rose to her feet, the dark wisps of mist around her skirt brushing against the ground as she smiled “Join me, stay by my side and we can live forever; I have powers of the night that can make you more than you are now, and we can finally be together, ruling this land with powers that either the church or the vampires could ever imagine! Come my dear, let our hearts become one in the darkness” as she held out her hand that had a dark mist wrapping around it.

Backing away one step, Dimitri shook his head as he muttered “No…I cannot, I cannot dive into the madness that took you from me once; think about what you are saying, Morgana, you’ve become what took your past away! The Morgana I loved, the one who cherished life, who would never think of harming her fellow man, I know that she’s still in there, buried in the darkness. Let me be the one to save you, to bring you back!”
    Morgana’s face slowly turned to a fang-beard scowl, her hand clenched to a fat fist enveloped in shadow as she retorted “There is no going back for me, no ‘salvation’ as you call it. I am a hunter of the night, a fatpire, and if you will not join me Dimitri, then you are against me” as she thrust her hand out, a blast of dark magic knocking the man to the ground. Coughing and staggering to his feet, Dimitri was once again accosted by dark mist as it wrapped around his neck, bringing him to his feet as Morgana slowly walked to her, tears streaming down her fat cheeks. “I could have made you immortal Dimitri, I could have made it so that we could live forever, just like we were meant to be; you said that you loved me, you said that we would always be together!” she yelled through her angry sobs with her fangs bared.

“I…do love you, and, I always will…and I never, got to prove it, that fateful night…” Dimitri gasped as he struggled for air, his hand reaching for his pocket…and for the ring that he had kept from years ago. The angry woman’s face became softer in shock, the dark fury fading as quickly as the dark magic binding Dimitri as he fell to his knee as he coughed from his choking. “You…you were going to…ask my hand in marriage?” she said in a soft hush, her plump hand over her mouth as Dimitri stayed at his kneeling position, looking up past the expansive front of Morgana, the night sky slowly clearing around them.

“I told you, I always will love you, enough to travel through the darkness to bring you back, to do whatever I could to save you from this torment, so that our souls would be together. You’re the light of my life Morgana, and no matter what my heart will be your’s” he said, holding the ring out to her. Tears slowly rolling down her cheek, Morgana held her plump hand to him as he slid the ring on, the metal band surprisingly fitting over her plump digit as he helped her lithe lover into his embrace as she began to weep openly.

“I’m so sorry Dimitri, I’ve, I’ve caused so much pain, and to you so much suffering, more than you ever should have to bear. I do not deserve your kindness, your love, I only deserve death as the monster I have become” Morgana sobbed as Dimitri reached his arms around her as much as he could, sinking into her expanse with tearful eyes as he said “I do not blame you my love; you were lost in the darkness, but I always knew you were there. I love you Morgana, and I will always be your beloved.” Gently taking his hand, Morgana placed it on her plump cheek as she smiled softly and kissed him, moving his hand down to where he kept the stake as she whispered softly “I am ready to come into the light Dimitri, thank you, for never stop loving me…” With tear-filled eyes, the couple embraced in a kiss one last time underneath the light of the moon, the darkness finally lifted…

To Cardinal Dominico,

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that villagers from the outlaying country have heard that Brother Dimitri is now at the side of the Lord, falling in his duty in the battle against the forces of the Devil. While it is truly saddening news, his end was not in vain, for news also tells that the vampire that he was tasked to bring to justice is no longer in our world as well. Our countryside will no longer be plagued by the darkness of the night hunter, and those who have been attacked by her are now recovering. It is a bittersweet victory for our Lord’s work, and the hearts of all in our church feel the loss of Dimitri. His sacrifice shall not be forgotten, nor will the kindness that he has shown to us all in the time that he was with our clergy. I request that his work be archived in the main church, so that his sacrifice may not be forgotten for others of our order. May his soul find rest in the arms of the Lord and have eternal peace finally.

Your brother in Christ,
    Bishop Makarov

Epilogue

Slowly opening the door of a bedroom, a small figure slowly creeps towards a man sitting behind his desk, writing in a journal as his free hand traces over a pendant on the desk. The figure silently moves closer and closer, crouching until within leaping range with a gleeful shout “Gotcha!” and the young girl latched onto the man’s back with a happy laugh. “Did I scare you papa? Did you know I was there?” the dark-haired girl said with a toothy grin as the man laughed “You truly surprised me, little Valentina; I never even knew that you were there, you truly are quite the sneaky little girl.” “Well momma is good at sneaking up on you, so she taught me how to be a ‘night sneaker’” she grinned, hopping down onto the ground as she looked at the journal and asked “You still use that old book?” The man placed Valentina onto her lap and smiled, closing the leather-bound book as he smiled “Why yes, I’ve had this journal even before you were born, back before your mother and I lived here. Today’s the anniversary of when we first came here, so I felt that it’d be nice to reflect on all that’s happened since then.” “That sounds so boring though! Can’t we go outside to the courtyard instead? Momma sent me to get you anyways, and I wanna go and see the flowers” she pouted as he chuckled and placed his daughter down “Alright alright, I wouldn’t want to keep her waiting; come on, let’s go see her.”

Taking his daughter’s hand, Dimitri walked out of the bedroom and through the castle hallways; in the past years, Castle Vildikhov had become a more peaceful structure in the eyes of the surrounding villages, the curse of its dark owner having been lifted. The wealth that the original vampire had accumulated from her victims was used by Dimitri to gain servants and staff that he treated like an extended family, making ‘Count Dimitri’ a benevolent face to the people of the area. The afternoon sun lit up the courtyard as young Valentina dashed from his father’s hand and called out “I found him momma! He was writing again in that old book of his instead of coming out to play.”

“Yes, he does have a habit of going into his books, doesn’t he?” her mother chuckled as she hugged her little girl as Dimitri chuckled “You’ve known for years that my memory can be a bit sporadic, it helps to keep me focused.” “Oh come now dear, you’re not an old man yet, even if Valentina may say otherwise” she chuckled as the girl giggled and walked off to see the flowers around the fountain, leaving her parents to sit together on the stone bench. “It always amazes me how much she looks like you, she even has your smile” Dimitri smiled as his wife smiled softly and added “Yes, teeth and all; I’m grateful that she hasn’t inherited those other traits that came with those teeth, at least for now.”

“As you can attest for the past 6 years, you’re as normal as any other woman Morgana, just with a bit of magic in you and a rather large appetite” Dimitri chuckled as she smirked and playfully punched her husband’s arm, her flabby arm jiggling in her summer dress as she retorted “Well most women aren’t as big as I am or have had such a colorful past as me.”

These words rang true for the massive maiden; on the eve of her ‘death’ as a fatpire, the light of the Moon of Hunger proved true in its legend, bringing her back to the realm of mortality, but not fully changed. While her skin regained its hue and her eyes gained their emerald glow, her body still retained the girth from her past life, along with traces of her magic that allowed her to live like a woman of much slimmer build. In the time following that fateful night, the couple wed as the last act of priesthood for Dimitri, choosing to settle in the castle to make their new life for each other.

“That may be true, but I could think of no other woman I would wish to be with” Dimitri smiled, wrapping his arm around her back as he leaned into her and gave a gentle kiss, causing her to smile and reveal her sharp fangs. As the couple watched their daughter chase butterflies among the flowers, Morgana sighed softly as she asked “Do you think Valentina will have a truly normal life when she grows up? Her mother was a creature of the night after all, and I do not know if she’ll inherit my hunger and powers, or if she will face hardships as we did.” Placing his hand on her love’s soft digits, gently caressing the ring on her finger, Dimitri looked his wife in the eyes and smiled “If she does have powers, then we shall do all that we can to help her become used to them; she is a gift of life, our cherished little dove who’ll spread her wings someday, and I know that just as we did in the past, we’ll make sure that the light shines upon her.” Morgana smiled, kissing her husband as Dimitri returned the gesture, watching Valentina play as the dark nightmares of their past a distant memory in the hopeful light of their future.

Well here is the last chapter of our harrowing story, it definitely has been an interesting ride weaving this tale together, and while I feel that this final chapter may have been a bit off at some points, but I feel that this was a good way to close this book. I may some day touch again upon the concept of the fatpire, but for now I hope that you all enjoyed this story.