Hurricane Irene

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by tonynyc, Aug 27, 2011.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Aug 31, 2011 #61

BigBeautifulMe

BigBeautifulMe

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.

Nothing has been said in local news in VA, either. Sorry moore.

2. Aug 31, 2011 #62

NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74

I went to work Monday thinking "That wasn't so bad." I knew other places had been hit pretty bad but (except for some minor flooding) we were ok locally. It turns out that Irene seemed to skip and jump around leaving some places barely touched and others nearly devastated. Many families still don't have power and we've had to absorb kids from other centers (I'm a teacher in a childcare center) because they are without power and can't open. Predictions are varied as to when they will get it back...a day or two, a couple of weeks. I had heard a big bang on Sunday but when nothing came of it I didn't think about it any more. A block from my house is without power and has been given the word not to expect it back until Sept. 6th the earliest. Just one block away. Meanwhile, casa NancyGirl is just fine. Not even water in the basement. Crazy. My best to those who are still struggling with the aftermath of Irene!

3. Aug 31, 2011 #63

shinyapple

shinyapple

shinyapple

crunchy in milk

I'm not there, but I am hoping they were fortunate. I did hear from a friend in NC that the wild horses on the Outer Banks have all been accounted for, so perhaps these animals will be as lucky.

4. Aug 31, 2011 #64

ThikJerseyChik

ThikJerseyChik

ThikJerseyChik

Sweet & Salty ;)

...it could have been much much worse.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the DIMS members and their families affected by Irene and her wrath.

NEVER underestimate the power of nature.

5. Aug 31, 2011 #65

Forgotten_Futures

Forgotten_Futures

Forgotten_Futures

The *other* Holy Trinity

Power just came back on (went out 11 PM Saturday) about 20 minutes ago. Fortunately, cable came back with it. *attempts to hug the internet*

6. Aug 31, 2011 #66

GlassDaemon

GlassDaemon

GlassDaemon

I'm in central Maryland, my house lost power for about 30 minutes the morning after the storm, but my work lost power the night of the storm at around 7pm and just got it back this morning at around 5.

I work in a hotel and guest were drinkings and apparently smoking weed the night of the storm after the power went out. The next morning we found a dead snake in the hallway that looks like they tried to skin it.

I was here in the morning since I stayed the night in the hotel, and I went around with the manager to check rooms at noon (check out is at 11) there were still three people in house, we told them, in nicer terms, to get out. We came back at 1 and there was still one person left, laying in his bed, we told him, well I told him, he had to leave or I was callin the police. About 1:30 my manager called the non emergency police. The dude was MESSED UP hilariously so, until he bashed his head on the wall and I jumped out of my skin, sure there'd be blood on the wall, there wasn't. He had five empty bottles of vodka in his room along with a bag of at least four different kinds of prescription drugs, all in his name but of course they were the ones that say "May cause dizziness" "Do not take with alcohol" ya know. He wobbled and stumbled down the hall and his knees gave out and that was when he cracked his head on the wall, he tried to sit up and fell again.

Anyway, I definitely have a crush on the police officer who showed up, he had a stick that looked like a chair leg and he beat on the door with it, his VOICE goodness, he was so commanding and sexy. He was a hell of a lot older than me... but I'll take Corporal Stick Man for a sugar daddy. XD

Anyway, for the next two days it was so amazing driving to and from work, near my house it looked unaffected, but in the twenty minute drive to work I was dodging fallen trees and stopping at lights that were completely out. I get off at night so driving home was creepy, where once there were tons of lights and flashy signs, it was just darkness.

7. Sep 1, 2011 #67

moore2me

moore2me

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank

Thanks BigBeautifulMe and shinyapple for the pony info (even if it was null). We'll keep checking. M2M

Misty_of_Chincoteague_cover.jpg

8. Sep 1, 2011 #68

Forgotten_Futures

Forgotten_Futures

Forgotten_Futures

The *other* Holy Trinity

LillyBBBW likes this.