I have a story about...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Lamia

Like OMG!!
(share your favorite stories about anything)

finding a treasure...

I am a huge fan of Duran Duran and I have collected a lot of memorabilia over the years. Finding Duran Duran stuff is like finding gold to me. I went to a privately owned music/head shop and I was with my friend Lori who likes to browse. I am more of a strike attack shopper. I zip in look for what I want if they don’t have it I leave. It was 1998 so well passed Duran Duran’s heyday of the 80s where you could find stuff everywhere. I am still haunted by the memory of a Duran Duran purse I saw pre-crazed fan stage so didn’t buy it.

I was waiting for Lori to get done looking around and my back was starting to hurt because I’m fat. So I was looking for a chair or some place to sit down and rest my back while I was waiting. I even contemplated sitting on the floor, but pride kept me vertical. I moved into a dark corner behind some racks and was giving some real thought to sitting on the floor. I decided to try leaning against the wall. I rested my hand on a ledge and my finger touched something soft. When I touched it I felt a tingle. I was expecting a hard surface, not something sort of squishy. At first I couldn’t tell what it was because it was the same color as the dust on the ledge. It was a little plastic baggie and was twisted in a knot. My finger had touched the knot part of the bag. I picked it up to look at it and felt metal inside. The bag was opaque with layers of dust. Clearly this had been laying there for a while.

I turned the bag over to see if I could see through the other side. When I flipped it over the vision of what lay inside almost caused me to faint. I couldn’t believe it. Simon Le Bon was staring back at me and behind his face was Roger’s and John’s. They were pins like I used to wear on my jacket except they were all Duran Duran. There were around 7 of them. I took them up to the counter to pay for them and the guy had no idea where they came from and didn’t know what to charge me for them. I think he overcharged me for something that probably wasn’t even their inventory. I like to think it was a fan who left if there and forgot it and I rescued it from oblivion all those years later.

Over half the buttons were Roger and as everyone knows that proper fan etiquette mandates that whomever has that member as their favorite has dibs. Roger was Lori’s favorite so I gave her all the Roger buttons.

It’s a favorite memory of mine. Such a strange twist of fate that I found those buttons and how I found them.

mel

This is My year!..again:)
Lamia...oh my gosh..I still have some of those pins!!! lol I wear them every year at work when we have our "80's day"

I had a friend was superuperduper obseesed with Duran Duran..I can remember being in her liactress Jennifer Barkering room watching DD on MTV ..when they 1st came on air ..and dancing around the room , her swooning and going nuts for Nick.

Sally was her name..

...great story!!

My story..About a year or so before I was divorced, my ex husband , daughter (8) and my son (3) were driving home from just picking up our daughter from a sleep over at her friends house. We were driving in a TransAm we had recently purchased and he was driving. As he pulled out from a stop sign, I saw a white van coming straight us ..down from a hill.The next thing I knew was waking up turned around, laying between the middle console and the backseat. I looked up and my daughter (who was on the side closest to the van) was not moving. Her head hanging down and bleeding. I started screaming for my husband to help her. I looked to the other side and my son was ok, crying of course. Immediately people started coming to the car and helping all of us. They helped my husaband out, pulled my daughter out, helped me out and then my son.
I can remember my daughter lying on the ground ..her head split open to the skull and obviously the worst feeling in the world in my heart.

(ok now I know this part hasnt been happy...but I had to tell that..to get to this..)
I thank GOD that at that very moment, there was a Dr and nurse (2 seperate cars) that stopped. There was another woman who stopped and helped me as much as possible. She was so kind, so caring, she held my hand, prayed with me, stayed with me..and as the paramedics were arriving, she put in my hand a gold cross necklace. She said my dad gave this to me to comfort me many years ago and I have always had it with me, now I want you to have it and keep it with you. I took it in my hand and got in the ambulance with my daughter. I never knew her name, never was able to thank her but have often thought of her.

From that day until this very day..(and from everyday I can forsee) ..I have worn that necklace. That has been about 13 years now. It's the one thing that I own that can strike fear in me, make me cry, make me smile and make me thankful.

You just never know who, what, where, and why things happen or people enter you life. You just never know.

and ...my daughter is a beautiful young woman now :)

Lamia

Like OMG!!
Lamia...oh my gosh..I still have some of those pins!!! lol I wear them every year at work when we have our "80's day"

I had a friend was superuperduper obseesed with Duran Duran..I can remember being in her liactress Jennifer Barkering room watching DD on MTV ..when they 1st came on air ..and dancing around the room , her swooning and going nuts for Nick.

Sally was her name..

...great story!!

My story..About a year or so before I was divorced, my ex husband , daughter (8) and my son (3) were driving home from just picking up our daughter from a sleep over at her friends house. We were driving in a TransAm we had recently purchased and he was driving. As he pulled out from a stop sign, I saw a white van coming straight us ..down from a hill.The next thing I knew was waking up turned around, laying between the middle console and the backseat. I looked up and my daughter (who was on the side closest to the van) was not moving. Her head hanging down and bleeding. I started screaming for my husband to help her. I looked to the other side and my son was ok, crying of course. Immediately people started coming to the car and helping all of us. They helped my husaband out, pulled my daughter out, helped me out and then my son.
I can remember my daughter lying on the ground ..her head split open to the skull and obviously the worst feeling in the world in my heart.

(ok now I know this part hasnt been happy...but I had to tell that..to get to this..)
I thank GOD that at that very moment, there was a Dr and nurse (2 seperate cars) that stopped. There was another woman who stopped and helped me as much as possible. She was so kind, so caring, she held my hand, prayed with me, stayed with me..and as the paramedics were arriving, she put in my hand a gold cross necklace. She said my dad gave this to me to comfort me many years ago and I have always had it with me, now I want you to have it and keep it with you. I took it in my hand and got in the ambulance with my daughter. I never knew her name, never was able to thank her but have often thought of her.

From that day until this very day..(and from everyday I can forsee) ..I have worn that necklace. That has been about 13 years now. It's the one thing that I own that can strike fear in me, make me cry, make me smile and make me thankful.

You just never know who, what, where, and why things happen or people enter you life. You just never know.

and ...my daughter is a beautiful young woman now :)
Awesome story I am so glad she's ok!! It's a shame you never knew her name.

More stories please everyone :)

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
that's a great story. Did you ever end up going to camp at all when you were older?
Hells no. It turns out I AM a mosquito god, so any attempts for me to go out of doors makes me a big feeding station. DEET only works if I lather it on at full strength, but at that point the temporary blindness and Tourette's side effects preclude my enjoying the festivities. Unless the camping is in a hermetically controlled tent with all insects being fried by UV before coming within 10 feet, I don't camp :p.

Weirdo890

I have a story about comic book conventions. There was a small one being held near Seattle Center that my friend and I attended. When I say small, I mean it was as big as a conference room. It was actually quite a quiet convention until my we passed a certain stand. THe curator of said stand (okay, it was a table) was a man approaching middle-age, dressed in all black. His African hair was fixed up in dreadlocks, with a Svengaliesque beard. To top it all off, he wore a cape.

He offered us a sample of his writing and comic strip, and then when it got weird. That's when he went on about the conspiracies. The one that truly caught my attention was that the US government had a program meant to euthanize all black people. He blamed the feds for his life. The man was 38 years old and he still lived with his mother. I nervously took a quick glance at his work then my friend and I quietly excused ourselves from the table. We made sure we avoided going by his table again.

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
Was the name of his book "White-Hatin' Coon"?

I have a story about comic book conventions. There was a small one being held near Seattle Center that my friend and I attended. When I say small, I mean it was as big as a conference room. It was actually quite a quiet convention until my we passed a certain stand. THe curator of said stand (okay, it was a table) was a man approaching middle-age, dressed in all black. His African hair was fixed up in dreadlocks, with a Svengaliesque beard. To top it all off, he wore a cape.

He offered us a sample of his writing and comic strip, and then when it got weird. That's when he went on about the conspiracies. The one that truly caught my attention was that the US government had a program meant to euthanize all black people. He blamed the feds for his life. The man was 38 years old and he still lived with his mother. I nervously took a quick glance at his work then my friend and I quietly excused ourselves from the table. We made sure we avoided going by his table again.

Latest posts