I just Quit drinking

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

petersmyth79

I have been an alcoholic for quite a long time and I have just quit 2 days ago. I have gotten to a point in my life where if I continue to drink I will alienate all my friends / associates and they will all want nothing to do with me. I just thought I would put this "out there" so if you are in a similar situation to me and you are an alcoholic I wan't you to know that you are not alone.

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent?
Staff member
Global Moderator
I have been an alcoholic for quite a long time and I have just quit 2 days ago. I have gotten to a point in my life where if I continue to drink I will alienate all my friends / associates and they will all want nothing to do with me. I just thought I would put this "out there" so if you are in a similar situation to me and you are an alcoholic I wan't you to know that you are not alone.
Good on you! I think that there is nothing better than taking control of your life and making that positive change. Keep at it.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
Gonna throw my support in here as well. There was not a part of my childhood and most of my life that was not impacted by alcoholism. I hope you find the right plan, the right program and the right support. May your journey be with hope in your heart and an eye to a better future.

petersmyth79

Thanks all for your lovely comments, I totally forgot about this post as we had to move out of our house due to drug taking renters that used to live in our street (those rentals are now privately owned). I did not stay sober permanently following a friend loosing his life at his place of employment. But tomorrow is always another day and better decisions can always be made. I had been absent for so long I had forgotten how friendly dims is :) ps. the company where my mate lost his life in got a massive fine and his fiance got looked after so she could buy a house and live as normal life as possible

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, that sounds absolutely awful. Best wishes to his loved ones. I'm glad his fiance doesn't have to worry about financial issues for a while, at least.

Like you said, tomorrow is a another day and we learn in this journey through life. Life is never a straight line forwards, it is always up and down along the way. I'm sure you'll be able to achieve your goals though!

petersmyth79

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, that sounds absolutely awful. Best wishes to his loved ones. I'm glad his fiance doesn't have to worry about financial issues for a while, at least.

Like you said, tomorrow is a another day and we learn in this journey through life. Life is never a straight line forwards, it is always up and down along the way. I'm sure you'll be able to achieve your goals though!
Thanks, he died about a year ago in an accident at a factory he worked at that makes particle board (that factory was well known in our town as it was not the first accident) but it was the event that started me drinking again

mamyers

A day at a time. All we have is today.
Don't pick up no matter what
Stay Sober Today!
24 hrs. Hang in There!

Lastminute.Tom

Write on!
Thank you for sharing your struggle brother, I'm glad you've found the supportive community here.

I am an addict over the course of my life it's manifested as an alcohol problem, a weed problem and a substance problem.

I've been alcohol free for over a year now but that was because I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I think if I didn't have that diagnosis I'd probably still be drinking, I guess most of my adult friendships have revolved around being at bars or parties just places with flowing booze, in my rational mind I know that I'll still have friendships without the alcoholic component it's just my fear of being alone that likes to capitalise on that.

My partner and I recently discovered Grace and Frankie and we love it, and I think it's representational to have a character that is an addict, there's one scene between Coyote (the addict character) and Martin Sheens character (who's just come out of surgery) which is very touching, I've tried to find the clip but to no avail, if you want to skip to that scene it's season 2 episode 2 19 minutes in

Mom is another great series that specifically deals with generational trauma from addiction, if you've had dealings with alcoholic parents it might be a bit much at first, also there's a problematic weight gain plot line at one point but on the whole its excellent

there's also a really interesting Ted talk on addiction, I'm sure there are more up to date ones but I remember being really surprised by this one:

petersmyth79

Thank you very much for your reply, I will have to check the video out :) My drinking has always been a coping mechanism due to external influences like trauma, stress, restlessness and insomnia. But in my case the clock is ticking as I do it for longer and longer. I have hardly drank anything in the last week so I consider that a win. I think I can do more to minimize stress by spending less time on facebook and more time relaxing and I'm Not sure if I'm alone in this but I don't find facebook relaxing at all

op user

I just (a couple of days ago) started my dry month. A fun activity while one wants to go out some nights with friends.

op user

It is more expensive to have an alcohol free night out than a beer drinking one!

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
It is more expensive to have an alcohol free night out than a beer drinking one!
I'm curious, how so? Over here, soft drinks are cheaper than alcoholic ones. Is it because you drink them faster/more of them because they aren't alcoholic?

op user

This is from my usual watering hole during last week's visit: I usually drink a large glass of lager it is 400 ml (13.526 fl oz ) or a pint (19.21520 ). They are priced I think at 5 €. As I wanted/needed something alcohol free I ordered a pink grapefruit with soda. The bottle was at 200 ml (do your own calculations for the US units) at 4 €. Fortunately in came with a glass with a plenty of ice so it did last some time but it was a disappointment.

Next time I

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I'm british so no problem with ml, that's what I understand best.

That honestly seems kind of extortionate for drinks in general. 600 ml cider over here is maybe £3.20 and 500 ml of coke would be about £1.80. Usually on draft rather than bottles, and you can get it without ice to ensure a full pint full. Though, uh, considering british drinking culture, perhaps it isn't too surprising that our drinks are cheap. I don't exactly go to fancy bars or anything either, so that probably helps.

op user

loopy, I wanted to provide a scale for our overseas readers.

It is an issue with the specific drink. It costs about two Euros in a super market and it unreasonably priced - maybe it is priced as a fancy drink rather as a staple.

Group builder