I need a makeover

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I tossed a bunch of clothes when we moved, and now I'm longing for a new wardrobe and makeover. I need to look more "grown up", and less thrown together. (for years I loved my thrown together outfits, but ready for big girl outfits lol)

I'm looking for business casual, dresses (PAST the knee) for both work and casual, and weekend wear.

I don't have a lot of money, but willing to take a look at anything.

Any ideas???

crayola box

Hmm well what do you like? what constitutes business casual where you are?

Coincidentally I just finished browsing for casual dresses online at LB, Torrid, Fashion Bug, Avenue, Target, B and LU, Eshakti,, Kiyonna and Nordstrom though I find those last two to have the prettiest things, they are a bit out of my price range for a non special occasion dress.

I totally love this one (though it seems kinda overpriced, but what else is new at LB) the polka dots are fun and summery but it looks weighty enough to be able to wear to work in the spring with maybe a super bright cardigan and accessories, maybe some tights

The easiest way I usually feel "grown up" but still casual is a nice structured grown up purse, jewelry, a cropped cardigan or jacket to pull the outfit together, and heels (only if you enjoy this particular form of foot torture). A pencil skirt right to the knee or an inch past also always makes me feel chic.

There do seem to be a lot of cute dresses out right now with spring approaching and in lots of different styles so maybe if you narrow it down we can point you to something more specific?

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
I tossed a bunch of clothes when we moved, and now I'm longing for a new wardrobe and makeover. I need to look more "grown up", and less thrown together. (for years I loved my thrown together outfits, but ready for big girl outfits lol)

I'm looking for business casual, dresses (PAST the knee) for both work and casual, and weekend wear.

I don't have a lot of money, but willing to take a look at anything.

Any ideas???
I wanted to do the same thing some years ago. I purchased a lot of grown up looking things, most of which were worn probably once and then never again. People commented that all I wear is black black black so I bought all these colorful items and prints to change my habits. It is very hard to deviate from who you are and assume a new identity. All those colors and prints, things that I just didn't feel comfortable in though everyone said they loved the pieces on me, I finally gave them away. Lesson learned. Don't go too far out to achieve a new look. That would be my advice to you. Try for "YOU!!: only more tailored/polished."

One thing I did keep was this last minute item I purchased on sale at Silhouettes.com - they were practically throwing them away. It is a wrap dress which I HIGHLY recommend everyone, men too. Wrap dresses look good on almost everybody, they're comfortable, stylish, can be paired with boots sandals shoes accessories. So versitile. Sadly, Silhouettes is no longer offering the wrap dress I bought but so many places sell them. I'd start with that.

I would recommend buying staple items that you can pair up with accessories. A nice pair of pants that look good on you, a dress, a jacket/cardigan or some such thing, a good pair of jeans. Then you can go crazy with accessories. Some nice earrings, a scarf, a nifty bag/attache, some nice shoes, a CBGB tshirt.. They can really pull a look together. You seriously want to avoid feeling like you are dressing from somebody else's closet. I've done that and it doesn't work.

ETA: If you have some photos of yourself in outfits that you like, that's a great place to start and a nice concept to build upon. I've often had items and hairstyles that I thought I looked smashing in until I saw myself wearing it in a photo. A photo finish can be very telling.

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I wanted to do the same thing some years ago. I purchased a lot of grown up looking things, most of which were worn probably once and then never again. People commented that all I wear is black black black so I bought all these colorful items and prints to change my habits. It is very hard to deviate from who you are and assume a new identity. All those colors and prints, things that I just didn't feel comfortable in though everyone said they loved the pieces on me, I finally gave them away. Lesson learned. Don't go too far out to achieve a new look. That would be my advice to you. Try for "YOU!!: only more tailored/polished."

One thing I did keep was this last minute item I purchased on sale at Silhouettes.com - they were practically throwing them away. It is a wrap dress which I HIGHLY recommend everyone, men too. Wrap dresses look good on almost everybody, they're comfortable, stylish, can be paired with boots sandals shoes accessories. So versitile. Sadly, Silhouettes is no longer offering the wrap dress I bought but so many places sell them. I'd start with that.

I would recommend buying staple items that you can pair up with accessories. A nice pair of pants that look good on you, a dress, a jacket/cardigan or some such thing, a good pair of jeans. Then you can go crazy with accessories. Some nice earrings, a scarf, a nifty bag/attache, some nice shoes, a CBGB tshirt.. They can really pull a look together. You seriously want to avoid feeling like you are dressing from somebody else's closet. I've done that and it doesn't work.

ETA: If you have some photos of yourself in outfits that you like, that's a great place to start and a nice concept to build upon. I've often had items and hairstyles that I thought I looked smashing in until I saw myself wearing it in a photo. A photo finish can be very telling.
Excellent advice. Thanks :)