Quantcast

I really thought this would be good...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
... but it was utterly disgusting!!

Clipper brand organic liquorice tea bags. I took a sip and at the same time a horrifically overwhelming stench of... burnt charred plastic overwhelmed my poor nostrils. There was a wonderful sweet liquorice flavour in my mouth for a moment, then the aftertase was all smoky burnt plastic again. These f&*£$" cost me £2, or $4 and I can't ever use them again.

Actually Im tempted to contact the Clipper company, as the description does not match the horror product! Ugh

(ps. I know there is a similar thread somewhere, but after 30 mins searching, i cant find it!)

View attachment licorice.JPG

CleverBomb

On Space Out
LOL I LOVE Liquorice! just not burnt plastic :p
I don't quite get the licorice-hatred. It's not something I seek out, but if someone's handing some around I'll generally have a bit.
For those who don't like it, how do you feel about dark chocolate (another confection that draws strong reactions either way)?
Agreed that it shouldn't taste like burnt plastic. Perhaps the factory had problems while making this batch?

-Rusty

JerseyGirl07093

Stick a fork in me
I hate 'licorice' (as we call it here in the US) too. Yuck!
I can't even stand the smell of Sambuca (a liquor) because it smells like licorice. The smell alone makes me gag!
You should write to the company and let them know what happened with their product. Whenever I have written to complain about a product I have always gotten some sort of compensation. Let's just hope that they don't give you a coupon for a free box of the same tea! Maybe they'll give you a coupon for a free box of tea, hopefully they have other flavors you like.

sweet&fat

My aim is true.
Licorice (gross) and dark chocolate (heaven) should not be mentioned in the same sentence! lol!

I don't quite get the licorice-hatred. It's not something I seek out, but if someone's handing some around I'll generally have a bit.
For those who don't like it, how do you feel about dark chocolate (another confection that draws strong reactions either way)?
Agreed that it shouldn't taste like burnt plastic. Perhaps the factory had problems while making this batch?

-Rusty

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
So much liquorice hatred in one small place!! :p
I remember when I was little, EVERY year at Easter I would forget that the black jelly beans were licorice and automatically think "ooooh chocolate" and would cram a handful in my mouth ..so sad! LOL That also left me wishing that I like licorice because nobody else liked it and there was tons left that could be mine if only I enjoyed it!

ya know...when I write/say stuff like that, I understand what my Mom means when she tells me that I was a weird kid LOL

mergirl

... but it was utterly disgusting!!

Clipper brand organic liquorice tea bags. I took a sip and at the same time a horrifically overwhelming stench of... burnt charred plastic overwhelmed my poor nostrils. There was a wonderful sweet liquorice flavour in my mouth for a moment, then the aftertase was all smoky burnt plastic again. These f&*£$" cost me £2, or $4 and I can't ever use them again.

Actually Im tempted to contact the Clipper company, as the description does not match the horror product! Ugh

(ps. I know there is a similar thread somewhere, but after 30 mins searching, i cant find it!)
Aww thats a shame.. I love liquorice too.. and it was great to help me stop smoking..thought the REAL stick ones are a bit mental and i have to be in the right frame of mind to chew em. Sometimes tea doesnt taste like the actual thing and different brands taste different.. Like i LOVE "Twinings" Lemon and Ginger tea But there is another brand which is disgusting!! I cant actually remember which one it is cept that i got it from holland and barret but i just stick to my own brand lest i have to suffer shitty tea again!!..
I SO want to try that tea now though.. I'm one of those people who have to find out.. like if someone goes "smell this/taste this its disgusting" i'm like.. "oooh gez a shot"! lol.. strange and unfortuante really! lol

xmer

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Aww thats a shame.. I love liquorice too.. and it was great to help me stop smoking..thought the REAL stick ones are a bit mental and i have to be in the right frame of mind to chew em. Sometimes tea doesnt taste like the actual thing and different brands taste different.. Like i LOVE "Twinings" Lemon and Ginger tea But there is another brand which is disgusting!! I cant actually remember which one it is cept that i got it from holland and barret but i just stick to my own brand lest i have to suffer shitty tea again!!..
I SO want to try that tea now though.. I'm one of those people who have to find out.. like if someone goes "smell this/taste this its disgusting" i'm like.. "oooh gez a shot"! lol.. strange and unfortuante really! lol

xmer
LOL hooray for another liquorice lover! pm me your address and I'll send you the remaining 19 bags :happy: . Sounds like you're one of those people that says "it's really sore if I poke ..here" then you poke it again... lmao! Yes re the ginger and lemon, I love it, but now I just make my own. Hot water in a mug, squeeze of lemon and a tsp of ground ginger (I use a cup filter thing. That way I can adjust it exactly as I like it. It's not as "peppery" tasting though as the Twinings bags. I also love one of the .. i think its Typhoo ones.. the Cherry Blast ones, theyre delish, but they only come in a variety box, not a box of their own.

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

So much liquorice hatred in one small place!! :p

lol. But I want to love....every easter I would try a black jellybean just cos I wanted to love...but alas my gag reflexes rule. :)

Do they make proper jelly beans in the UK? And I'm not talking bout jelly bellys, lol, I'm talking the 89 cents a huge bag sort of jelly beans.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
lol. But I want to love....every easter I would try a black jellybean just cos I wanted to love...but alas my gag reflexes rule. :)

Do they make proper jelly beans in the UK? And I'm not talking bout jelly bellys, lol, I'm talking the 89 cents a huge bag sort of jelly beans.
I see jelly beans in corner shops, the ones that have displays of "Half pounders" - those bags of traditional sweets. I don't know if they are the ones you mean.

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
If I run into a bag of traditional jellybeans...I can only eat the black licorice beans. I never buy licorice, but, if someone I know has it around, I like a few pieces of it....with milk.

I think I like the milk with it, because I used to LOVE...LOVE...black licorice ice cream. Dear mother of Pearl...that was some good eatin'!:smitten:

MLadyJ

Oh please!! I have just eaten a wonderful breakfast and all this talk of licorice has made me sick to my stomach..seriously...I give up..just don't make make me eat any...lol..now dark chocolate might be quite the balm for almost every malady..

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I think I like the milk with it, because I used to LOVE...LOVE...black licorice ice cream. Dear mother of Pearl...that was some good eatin'!:smitten:

Ah, Mossy, you have revived some happy memories! Back in the days when Baskin-Robbins actually made 31 flavors of ice cream (instead of 1 flavor: corn syrup), they occasionally had licorice ice cream!:wubu: It looked like a slag heap, but it tasted sooo good...wish I could find some now!

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Ah, Mossy, you have revived some happy memories! Back in the days when Baskin-Robbins actually made 31 flavors of ice cream (instead of 1 flavor: corn syrup), they occasionally had licorice ice cream!:wubu: It looked like a slag heap, but it tasted sooo good...wish I could find some now!
I knew you were a reasonable man.

I remember my first licorice ice cream. There was a store named ' Yard Birds ', in Chehalis Washington. You could buy groceries...tires...jewelry...fabric...and, they had a photo booth, in which I did lots of teenage posing...in all my lip pouting glory. I am sure you did the same.

Here is a picture of the stores mascot. Last I heard, they are using the building as a craft mall. I give you........the Yard Bird.......

Latest posts