Quantcast

I REMEMBER WHEN...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I remember when the attraction of baby sitting was at least in part that they had a VCR and collection of movies that I could watch once I got the kids to bed, when my parents hadn't bought one yet. (I can still rrmrememthe moment of panic when I heard the key in the door and I was watching Risky Business)

PS shouldn't this thread be in The Lounge? (Alternatively, shouldn't The Lounge get merged with this board?)

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
I remember when the attraction of baby sitting was at least in part that they had a VCR and collection of movies that I could watch once I got the kids to bed, when my parents hadn't bought one yet. (I can still rrmrememthe moment of panic when I heard the key in the door and I was watching Risky Business)

PS shouldn't this thread be in The Lounge? (Alternatively, shouldn't The Lounge get merged with this board?)
My bad if I placed this in the wrong forum.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
My bad if I placed this in the wrong forum.
Not a big deal by any means.

Back on topic:

I remember when we got a computer (an Apple II 'clone') and a printer, and I discovered the wonders of even the most primitive of word processing. High school essays were never as horrible again!

AmyJo1976

DM Supporter
I remember the Apple computers! We had one in my sixth grade class in the back of the room. That was the first time I ever saw a computer. 1988 I think. I didn't have my own computer until I was 23 though.

Funtastic curves

I remember when you got cable on them huge satellite dishes. My God mother was the only one on our block to have cable. All the neighborhood children would gather over their to watch Gremlins. But I also remember after every movie they would pay a wham video "wake me up before you go". oh I was so in love with George Michael.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
All this talk about computers reminds me: I was the first person in my department to get one. It used DOS, and the only way you could connect with the internet was via the telephone line. I had to unplug my phone to go online. When I got a new computer, my boss wanted my old one, although I knew he was terrified of the thing (but he wanted to brag about his tech savvy to his fellow department chairs). So I gave it to him, and while he was at lunch I quietly unplugged it. I plugged it back in six months later, and he never knew. So much for Dr. Cutting Edge!

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Agreed - this thread belongs in the Lounge - so I moved it.

I remember when a fax machine was the "it" technology gadget in an office.

And I bought my first computer when I was 22 - and it was one of the first laptops.