Instant Pot Thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Epicurean
Apologies if there is an Instant Pot thread already, I didn't see one if there was.

So, I'm two weeks in using the Instant Pot. I'm hooked! I love food, I love cooking, but I'm admittedly super lazy when it comes to actually putting the effort in preparing food. This thing is so easy to use, and fast, it's removed laziness out of the equation. I haven't tried anything too fancy so far, just some basics, but I've been able to make extras for the freezer which I also rarely do.

So, who has one? Any good recipes? Thoughts?

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

Fantasist

I really want one of these. I’m not much of a cook, so I’m not sure it’d be worth the money. I want to get good use out of it. The more I hear from people the more interested I am.

MattB

Epicurean
Do it! I'd say if you aren't 'much of a cook' it's even more valuable. I'm still using mine constantly. So easy.

I found a cookbook for Kindle that has IP recipes that only use 5 ingredients or less, and I was able to make a decent risotto with chicken. "Decent" since I found it needed more spices after the fact, but I'll adjust that the next time I make it.

It's definitely a 'healthier' option since you can control the ingredients going in better than with processed food, but I'm actually eating more often now than I was before. Go figure.

MattB

Epicurean
Instant Pot month three...

I just realized I haven't used the stove since February, no exaggeration. I have about 5-6 recipes that I keep in rotation and make enough for leftovers, but I'm getting ready to branch out and will be attempting Indian food next week. This is a big step!

Seriously though, this thing is so much fun.

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
Staff member
Global Moderator
Glad you’re enjoying it! I haven’t made the leap yet. What kinds of things are you making in it?

MattB

Epicurean
I started with simple stuff, chili and stew mostly. Then I found a recipe for a one-pot spaghetti. That worked okay, you put the spaghetti noodles right in the pot, but when I tried it one time with macaroni instead it was even better so I do that now. I even use it for cooking hard boiled eggs, they turn out really good! Even just cooking chicken on its own it works great.

I haven't used it for any desserts yet though, but I will eventually once I get a cheesecake pan insert that's available.

MattB

Epicurean
Instant Pot update.

I'm getting gutsy with the recipes now. I have a good standard risotto recipe down pat, so I branched out and tried something new with some limited ingredients I had on hand. I sautéed some chorizo in the pot, then added some mushrooms, and let those cook for a bit. Then, I added the rice and broth right to the pot and pressure cooked it all together. It turned out amazing! Some of the spicy oils from the chorizo permeated the rice. It turned out so good, I'm going to put it in my regular rotation and see how far I can take it if I add more stuff.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
The greatest device I have ever encountered. Like MattB I use my instant pot (IP) more than almost anything else in the kitchen (microwave still #1). I'm curious how many of y'all have "burn"ed a recipe. I never rinsed my rice for the rice cooker prior to using the IP. I also have a standard rotation of successful recipes. As soon as I found out about making cheesecake in the IP, I bought the 6" springform pan to use in it. <--- Happy Fuzzy

MattB

Epicurean
I haven't had the "Burn" notification yet, but my rice recipe is a risotto so I'm using two cups of broth to one cup of rice.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
First time was a jambalaya that I mixed the uncooked rice with tomatoes which immediately burned to the bottom before the pot ever reached pressure. (Bad Fuzzy! Bad) And the second time was a repeat of a successful recipe using Ancient Grains Ziti, meatballs, and pasta sauce. I forgot the rule that you never let the ingredients mix before cooking. I mixed it all up and attempted pressurization before getting BURN'd. (Bad Bad Fuzzy)

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
Playing around with the slow cooker function on my IP. Many people have complained that the IP doesn't do the slow cooker role well.

MattB

Epicurean
I need to try something new in the Instant Pot. Laziness is creeping back in, as all my dishes are just becoming variations of the ones I mentioned up thread.

I want to try something ambitious like a pot roast, but it's been too hot to want to make anything too heavy. Maybe when the weather cools a bit I'll test my limits again.

I still love the damn thing though.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
Agreed on the too hot to cook thing. I've been making variations on a theme by cool or cold for dinner. Stuff like cold thai or vietnamese noodle salad or gazpacho or hummus wrap.

MattB

Epicurean
Just checking in to say that I'm finally trying a pot roast in the IP. I just sealed it, and now we wait. I'll let everyone know the results, good or bad.

But, while we're here, I've noticed something about online Instant Pot recipes. Google how to cook any recipe in the Instant Pot and, I kid you not, you will get thousands of results. All blogs, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM is written by the following variation...

"Hi, I'm a hard-working Mom with two crazy kids at home and a loving hubby. Subscribe to my blog!"

Then you get the recipe, eventually, but they ALL start like this...

" Well, I found myself rushing to make dinner at 4pm yet again! Thankfully, I have this SUPER-EASY Instant Pot recipe that the kids and Hub JUST ADORE!"

Then, instead of the recipe, you get numerous pictures, random Instant Pot tips, until finally way down the page (after numerous ads and pop-ups) you finally get to the recipe.

Don't get me wrong, I love me the Instant Pot, but don't tell me all of these blogs are by legitimate people. (Puts on tinfoil hat...) This has to be some sort of marketing plan by the Instant Pot people. There can't be this level of hive-mind going on right now, is there?

Anyways, I remain waiting for pot roast.

Group builder