Iron Foodee Challenge - November 2008

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
Becky and I want to thank everyone who voted! After "chatting" it over, we have come up with a seasonal favorite: SWEET POTATOES or YAMS.
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, we thought it would be nice to share some recipes that could be used for the upcoming holiday.

SO LET THE GAMES BEGIN! (Recipes can be submitted through November 30th.)

View attachment 0404%20sweet%20potatoes.jpg

JerseyGirl07093

Stick a fork in me
I would be terrible at this challenge because my favorite way of eating sweet potatoes is to just boil and eat them, maybe with some Thanksgiving turkey gravy on them. But I'm interested in seeing what you guys come up with.

katorade

Okay, this isn't as much a recipe as it is a type of preparation, but it's a little different than most traditional holiday dishes. I was never a fan of sweet potatoes because I found them to be a little oddly sweet. Like Splenda. A friend made these for a baby shower and I was hooked. I'm pretty sure I ate a sweet potato a day. I don't even care if I get any votes, I just want you guys to try it! It's that good.

For 1-2 people (depending on whether you want a side dish or a simple meal), wash and scrub 2 thin sweet potatoes, but do NOT peel them. Cube them into 1/2-1" pieces. I usually cut a 1/2" thick disk from the end and then cut that into 4 wedges. You can use larger potatoes, too, but I find them much harder to cut. Then again, my knives are doody and I'm a wuss.:p

Put the cubed SPs in a bowl and toss with enough olive oil to coat them, then sprinkle on about a teaspoon of salt, a few grinds of black pepper, and a half teaspoon of mild chili powder (I love chipotle chili powder, the smokiness meshes so well with the sweetness of the SPs). You can adjust any of them to your own liking.
Dump them into a glass pyrex dish or onto a non-stick cookie sheet and bake them at 400 degrees. Check them at 20 minutes. If the pieces are fork tender, they're done. Depending on the size of the pieces, they could take quite a bit longer.
My favorite way to eat them is on their own, piled high in a bowl. I can clear an entire pan on my own and still want more. They're also spectacular paired with steak in place of the traditional blob of mashed potatoes, or with barbecue chicken, or salmon, or...well, you get the idea.

You can definitely up the count, you may just need to use multiple pans. Thin layers seem to work best so that they can cook evenly, but they don't necessarily need to be seperated like french fries or potato wedges.

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
Okay, this isn't as much a recipe as it is a type of preparation, but it's a little different than most traditional holiday dishes. I was never a fan of sweet potatoes because I found them to be a little oddly sweet. Like Splenda. A friend made these for a baby shower and I was hooked. I'm pretty sure I ate a sweet potato a day. I don't even care if I get any votes, I just want you guys to try it! It's that good.

For 1-2 people (depending on whether you want a side dish or a simple meal), wash and scrub 2 thin sweet potatoes, but do NOT peel them. Cube them into 1/2-1" pieces. I usually cut a 1/2" thick disk from the end and then cut that into 4 wedges. You can use larger potatoes, too, but I find them much harder to cut. Then again, my knives are doody and I'm a wuss.:p

Put the cubed SPs in a bowl and toss with enough olive oil to coat them, then sprinkle on about a teaspoon of salt, a few grinds of black pepper, and a half teaspoon of mild chili powder (I love chipotle chili powder, the smokiness meshes so well with the sweetness of the SPs). You can adjust any of them to your own liking.
Dump them into a glass pyrex dish or onto a non-stick cookie sheet and bake them at 400 degrees. Check them at 20 minutes. If the pieces are fork tender, they're done. Depending on the size of the pieces, they could take quite a bit longer.
My favorite way to eat them is on their own, piled high in a bowl. I can clear an entire pan on my own and still want more. They're also spectacular paired with steak in place of the traditional blob of mashed potatoes, or with barbecue chicken, or salmon, or...well, you get the idea.

You can definitely up the count, you may just need to use multiple pans. Thin layers seem to work best so that they can cook evenly, but they don't necessarily need to be seperated like french fries or potato wedges.
YUM! They sound like a side dish served at a local resturant. You can get regular fries or sweet potato fries with your burger/sandwich. I always get the sweet potato fries with caramel dipping sauce! ;) Thanks for the great recipe! :)

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
INGREDIENTS
4 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup heavy cream (milk or half & half can be substituted)
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is crumbly, then stir in pecans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the sweet potatoes.
Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
My favorite sweet potato recipe uses only 3 ingredients.

Sweet Potatoes
Butter
Oven

Bake them and slather in butter. That's it, couldn't be better. I much prefer plain buttered sweet potatoes over the overly sweet mushy marshmallow covered traditional dish. Just bake and butter. MMMMM

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
I will be making sweet potato and pepper soup, but can't post til perhaps Monday, as groceries not arriving til Saturday night. Looking forward to trying it.

Pamelalois, I LOVE plain baked sweet potatoes with butter, and just a pinch of salt, deeeelish!

ValentineBBW

seeking Vegas
I would be terrible at this challenge because my favorite way of eating sweet potatoes is to just boil and eat them, maybe with some Thanksgiving turkey gravy on them. But I'm interested in seeing what you guys come up with.[/QUOTE

Have you tried baking them instead? I used only boil my yam/sweet potatoes but they always turned out so watery that I finally tried baking and love them baked so much better than boiled. Add butter, salt and pepper and I'm set.

I've never liked the dishes that added caramel or marshmallows. Yam/Sweet Potatoes are sweet enough on their own.

ValentineBBW

seeking Vegas
I will be making sweet potato and pepper soup, but can't post til perhaps Monday, as groceries not arriving til Saturday night. Looking forward to trying it.

Pamelalois, I LOVE plain baked sweet potatoes with butter, and just a pinch of salt, deeeelish!
Ruby, I am really looking forward to this soup recipe. Yam/SP are in season now and I'm really enjoying them baked, but would love to try another way to eat them.

JerseyGirl07093

Stick a fork in me

This is very similar to my one and only other way I make sweet potatoes but I didn't think it was much of a recipe either so I didn't post it. I think I stole the idea from Paula Deen. :p Basically, it's sweet and regular potatoes cubed, tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper and then baked. It's delish! The sweet potatoes seem even sweeter and are melt in your mouth yummy.

When I was a kid it seemed that no one else's family served sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving. I felt like they were such a treat since we never had them any other time of the year. My Grandma would tell me that she made them espcially for me. :happy: And as much as I love them I still mostly make them around this time of the year only. Once we had to do a project in school where we drew a picture of our favorite Thanksgiving food and had to write a little story to go with it of who we were and what we did for Thanksgiving. While most kids were a turkey or an ear of corn or something I was the only one who was a sweet potato! :D

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Tropical Sweet Potatoes:

4 large sweet potatoes
1 8 1/4 oz. can crushed pineapple, undrained
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp grated orange rind
1 cup canned apricots, undrained and pureed
2 Tbsp butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Boil sweet potatoes 20-25 minutes or until tender. Let cool; peel and cut into 1/2" slices. Arrange them in a lightly greased baking dish (12x8x2). Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup syrup. Combine pineapple syrup, sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, orange rind, and apricot puree in a saucepan; stir well. Cook sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Add butter, pecans, and pineapple, stirring until butter melts, and pour over the potatoes. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Serves 8.

NancyGirl74

I have a recipe that I haven't tried yet but I'm really psyched about it. I'm waiting until Thanksgiving and using my family as the taste testers (or guinea pigs ;) ) for my first effort with this dish. Should I post the recipe now or should I wait for the results/reactions and post after I've tried it out? Is there a rule about posting recipes you haven't personally tired? I may have asked this question before but I don't remember the answer. *sheepish*

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
I have a recipe that I haven't tried yet but I'm really psyched about it. I'm waiting until Thanksgiving and using my family as the taste testers (or guinea pigs ;) ) for my first effort with this dish. Should I post the recipe now or should I wait for the results/reactions and post after I've tried it out? Is there a rule about posting recipes you haven't personally tired? I may have asked this question before but I don't remember the answer. *sheepish*

No rules...at least not that I'm aware of. I'd post your recipe and then update us on the results! :D

NancyGirl74

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:
6 sweet potatoes, even in size and scrubbed
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, room temp.
4 ounces cream cheese, room temp.
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Place sweet potatoes on sheet tray and bake for 1 hour or until soft. Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.

3. Split potatoes and remove the flesh to a medium sized bowl, reserving skins. In another bowl, add brown sugar, butter and cream cheese and the all of the spices and mash with a fork or rubber spatula.

4. Add the butter and cream cheese mixture to the sweet potato flesh and fold in completely. Add the filling back to the potato skins and place on a half sheet tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

*Like I said, I haven't tried this recipe yet. I'm going to make it for Thanksgiving. I'll update how it goes afterwards. Hopefully, everyone will like it. :happy:

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
SWEET POTATO SHEPHERDS PIE-or COTTAGE PIE, depending on where you are from lol (POOR MANS PIE)

1 lb. ground beef
1 can peas
1 can sweet corn
1 medium onion, diced
1/3 c. sugar
8 medium sweet potatoes
Cinnamon, nutmeg or Pumpkin Pie Seasoning (optional)

Boil sweet potatoes, mash and season to taste with milk and butter. (Steve likes to add pumpkin pie seasoning to this, cinnamon and/or nutmeg works, too)

Brown ground beef and onion with salt and pepper. When cooked, add peas, corn, sugar. Let simmer until heated through.

In 13x9 pan place meat and vegetable mixture in bottom of pan. Cover with mashed sweet potatoes and sprinkle cheese on top.

Place in oven on BROIL until warm. ( I've never turned on the broiler in this apartment, I bake it for a while until it's heated through)

Sorry for the vague instructions. I never follow recipes when I cook lol.

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
In Remembrance
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:
6 sweet potatoes, even in size and scrubbed
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, room temp.
4 ounces cream cheese, room temp.
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Place sweet potatoes on sheet tray and bake for 1 hour or until soft. Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.

3. Split potatoes and remove the flesh to a medium sized bowl, reserving skins. In another bowl, add brown sugar, butter and cream cheese and the all of the spices and mash with a fork or rubber spatula.

4. Add the butter and cream cheese mixture to the sweet potato flesh and fold in completely. Add the filling back to the potato skins and place on a half sheet tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

*Like I said, I haven't tried this recipe yet. I'm going to make it for Thanksgiving. I'll update how it goes afterwards. Hopefully, everyone will like it. :happy:
That is making my mouth water! I wonder if that's something you can prepare in advance (like the day before) and then just bake for 15 mins on Thanksgiving....

NancyGirl74

That is making my mouth water! I wonder if that's something you can prepare in advance (like the day before) and then just bake for 15 mins on Thanksgiving....

So my Grandmother has decided to make her sweet potato dish (even though she knew I was going to make mine) again this year. This being the case, I'll just wait on trying out the recipe I posted. Maybe I'll get to it some time during this long weekend. But for today it's gonna be Grandma's sweet potatoes because Grandma said so. :rolleyes:

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
In Remembrance
So my Grandmother has decided to make her sweet potato dish (even though she knew I was going to make mine) again this year. This being the case, I'll just wait on trying out the recipe I posted. Maybe I'll get to it some time during this long weekend. But for today it's gonna be Grandma's sweet potatoes because Grandma said so. :rolleyes:
No worries. I'm making it. I didn't get to finish making it today, but I baked the sweet potatoes, scooped them out and prepared the filling. Tomorrow I will stuff them and bake them. And I'll post pics :)

NancyGirl74

No worries. I'm making it. I didn't get to finish making it today, but I baked the sweet potatoes, scooped them out and prepared the filling. Tomorrow I will stuff them and bake them. And I'll post pics :)

Well, I was able to make them tonight and the recipe totally lived up to my expectations. I like sweet potatoes but I wouldn't say I was a huge fan. However, these were amazing. Everyone loved them! Here is a pic:

View attachment 54487

Latest posts