Is it weird I don't like soup?

Discussion in 'The Foodee Board' started by squeezablysoft, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Sep 23, 2018 #1

squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft

Perhaps I should clarify, I'm mostly talking about the kinds of soups that are heavy on (non pureed) veggies. Which unfortunately is the kind my mom likes and makes. Canned chicken noodle or tomato soup, broccoli cheddar soup, or a thick, creamy potato soup (my mom's is too watery for me, maybe cause she uses 2% rather than whole milk?) is about the only soup I like. I'm especially mystified by the folks who say soup is super satiating or even call it comfort food. I'm sorry, I'll eat it as an appetizer but imo it doesn't really count as a satisfying meal on it's own. And I definitely need more calories and less liquid and vegetables to be comforted by my food. The worst part is my mom always makes a huge pot of it so since it's just her and I it takes forever for that soup to go away. :(

2. Sep 23, 2018 #2

squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft

To further clarify, no my mom is not a bad cook. Other ppl love her soup, I love most things she cooks, and I've hated soup other ppl made too.

BigElectricKat and Yakatori like this.
  3. Sep 24, 2018 #3

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

On a cold winter day, with the wind whistling through the walls (we live in an old house), a bowl of homemade soup is a lovely thing to contemplate. But I agree with you that it needs a little ballast, preferably in the form of a sandwich.

4. Sep 24, 2018 #4

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

I love any kind of soup on it's own or paired with a sandwich and fruit.

BigElectricKat likes this.
  5. Sep 24, 2018 #5

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Feel free to ask anything

So a hot bowl of Gumbo is out of the question, I suppose. Though technically, Gumbo isn't a soup but it can be rather soupy (depending on who is making it). Slow-Cooker-Spicy-Gumbo_6-FB.jpg

LizzieJones likes this.
  6. Sep 24, 2018 #6

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

The same is true of Thai curries made with coconut milk. We're getting into a gray area here...

LumpySmile likes this.
  7. Sep 24, 2018 #7

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Global Moderator

I hate to say it, but soups probably really are not your mom's forte - so you most likely never developed a taste for them. My potato soup is also made with 2% milk - and it's creamy, silky all the way. And very tasty - if I may vainly add - because I stir-fry the vegetable bouquet in olive oil until it is nicely browned before adding the potatoes.

If you like canned soups, then there probably is an additional problem - you've become hooked on their additives, mainly glutamate which reinforces certain taste elements. To get rid of that, you have to refrain from eating them and only eating your own homemade soups, where you can experiment with the taste and composition.

Being a winter child, I'm a total "soupee" - if such a thing exists. My grandmother was an awesome soup cook - I have friends who still miss her homemade chicken noodle soup (at best with fresh asparagus).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    SoVerySoft and LeoGibson like this.
  8. Sep 24, 2018 #8

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

I love soup! Vegetable soup is delish! Tomato, NE clam chowder, potato, almost any kind. True to the fact, a grilled cheese makes the meal! :)

9. Sep 24, 2018 #9

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

Looks like soup to me. I've never had any but it sure looks delish.

10. Sep 24, 2018 #10

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

You gotta find yourself a Cajun/Creole restaurant up there! grilled-shrimp-with-red.jpg

AmyJo1976 and LizzieJones like this.
  11. Sep 24, 2018 #11

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

Don't think we have any.

12. Sep 24, 2018 #12

MattB

MattB

MattB

Epicurean

Vietnamese Pho could very well bring us world peace.

da3ley likes this.
  13. Sep 24, 2018 #13

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

I'd almost be willing to relocate for that lol!

14. Sep 24, 2018 #14

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

I'm telling you, You have GOT to get you some real, honest-to-goodness, cajun red beans and rice. With andouille sausage and all. That stuff from Popeye's is decent but the real deal will change your life!

Colonial Warrior and LizzieJones like this.
  15. Sep 24, 2018 #15

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

@squeezablysoft Please forgive me for turning this thread into something it was not intended to be.

16. Sep 24, 2018 #16

LumpySmile

LumpySmile

LumpySmile

Town I used to live in had a new orleans style restaurant that incorporated local flavors. Their green chile gumbo was AWESOME. I don't miss that town much except for the food. Never lived anywhere else that had such a true local flavor and hometown feel.

But back to soup (although Dr Feelgood brought up Thai curry, and I would LOVE to talk about that too) I don't like too many of the "veggies in broth" variety either, unless it has a starch of some kind, noodles, beans or potatoes.

I've since learned starch is a key ingredient in soup, and not all starches are equal.

My mother often made a soup called "hamburger soup" which was just browned ground beef with a bunch of canned veggies in it, sometimes some macaroni, and heavy on the canned tomatoes. It was so acidy I always got heartburn (and often got sick when I was little) and have never made it myself as an adult. Even with a little dried macaroni added, it wasm't starchy enough. If I were to try making it, i think I'd go with some canelini beans for the starch

Fast forward a few years and my ex taught me how to make AMAZING chicken noodle soup and I learned the secret is all in the pasta. Dried pasta doesn't work for the soup. According to her grandmother homemade noodles are the only way to make it, although in her declining years even my ex's grandmother began using frozen noodles and agrees Grandma's Egg Noodles from the freezer aisle makes pretty darn good soup. good for me because I don't know how to make homemade noodles, but I can always find Grandma's Egg Noodles!

I just wish I'd have learned from my ex how to make her incredible split pea soup before she flew the coop....

LizzieJones likes this.
  17. Oct 10, 2018 at 2:03 AM #17

da3ley

da3ley

da3ley

I love soup as well. My grandmother used to make a simple "caldo" which we still make today. She took ground beef, potatoes, onions, and garlic and made a wonderful soup that we used to eat with a buttered tortilla.

18. Oct 10, 2018 at 4:39 AM #18

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

I didn't like soups, except for the Lipton''s chicken noodle soup with slices of boiled eggs and ham with a grilled cheese sandwich.

I also love ramen noodles but not in soup. I boil them until they are tender and then I move them to a pan as lo mein!!!

da3ley likes this.
  19. Oct 10, 2018 at 4:41 AM #19

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

I love that Cajun red beans and rice as a side dish with fried pork chops. It tastes so delicious!!!

20. Oct 11, 2018 at 3:17 AM #20

da3ley

da3ley

da3ley

I miss the Mrs. Grass' chicken noodle soup with the "golden egg". It was really good.

Colonial Warrior likes this.