Is it "Whoa!" or "Woah!"?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Santaclear

User
Definitely "whoa."

I've seen people (even here, but not lately) spell it "woe." Which is disturbing.

BigCutieSteph

When you type both spellings and run spell check it says that "Whoa" is the correct spelling.

katorade

The correct spelling is w-h-o-a. Whoa.

Also, I have a bone to pick with both Wikipedia and online dictionaries. I have noticed in the past couple of years the disturbing trend of listing "accepted" and "nonstandard" spellings of words in the definitions of English words or as completely separate listings, such as "irregardless".

They point out that they aren't the standard or that they're used colloquially, but they rarely ever say that they are incorrect! That drives me freaking insane and there are a lot of people that will use that to argue that it makes the word acceptable. It's making America dumber.

Just because a sizable percentage of people are grammatically retarded and don't grasp rudimentary spelling and pronunciation skills (i.e. woah would not even be pronounced "wo") does not mean they are correct!

It saddens me that this is even debatable.

pdesil071189

Also, I have a bone to pick with both Wikipedia and online dictionaries. I have noticed in the past couple of years the disturbing trend of listing "accepted" and "nonstandard" spellings of words in the definitions of English words or as completely separate listings, such as "irregardless".

They point out that they aren't the standard or that they're used colloquially, but they rarely ever say that they are incorrect! That drives me freaking insane and there are a lot of people that will use that to argue that it makes the word acceptable. It's making America dumber.

Just because a sizable percentage of people are grammatically retarded and don't grasp rudimentary spelling and pronunciation skills (i.e. woah would not even be pronounced "wo") does not mean they are correct!

I still think the correct word is WOW lol

katorade

I still think the correct word is WOW lol

Wow is an entirely different word that occasionally has the same meaning, but are not fully interchangeable and have completely different origins. Its pronunciation is "wou". Whoa is pronounced "wo".

MissToodles

dead peasant
the latter spelling makes me think the word whoa and someone wanted to make it a two-syllable word.

smithnwesson

Drug dealer
Wow is an entirely different word that occasionally has the same meaning, but are not fully interchangeable and have completely different origins. Its pronunciation is "wou". Whoa is pronounced "wo".

If you're getting a blow job and you yell "WHOA" instead of "WOW", that could be a bad thing. Jes' sayin'. . .

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw

While I would never claim to always speak correctly, I have to agree with this post. Unfortunately, I must spread some rep around before I can give this the boost it deserves.

Latest posts