Is it "Whoa!" or "Woah!"?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I know it's correct to type whoa but I always write woah anyway.. just used to that spelling. :]

katorade

While I would never claim to always speak correctly, I have to agree with this post. Unfortunately, I must spread some rep around before I can give this the boost it deserves.

Heh, I'm not the most eloquent speaker, either. I say "y'all" and can't pronounce the word "rural" to save my life. It always comes out "rrrrrrrl". I'm pretty good with spelling, but sometimes I love to add Es in words that end in -able when it should have been dropped.

There's another thread right there. The proper apostrophe placement in "y'all" is between the y and the all. It's a contraction of the words "you all", therefore the apostrophe takes the place of the "ou". Ya'll is incorrect because "ya" is technically not a word.

Then again, "y'all" is terrible grammar anyway.:p

olwen

Disco Bear
The correct spelling is w-h-o-a. Whoa.

Also, I have a bone to pick with both Wikipedia and online dictionaries. I have noticed in the past couple of years the disturbing trend of listing "accepted" and "nonstandard" spellings of words in the definitions of English words or as completely separate listings, such as "irregardless".

They point out that they aren't the standard or that they're used colloquially, but they rarely ever say that they are incorrect! That drives me freaking insane and there are a lot of people that will use that to argue that it makes the word acceptable. It's making America dumber.

Just because a sizable percentage of people are grammatically retarded and don't grasp rudimentary spelling and pronunciation skills (i.e. woah would not even be pronounced "wo") does not mean they are correct!

It saddens me that this is even debatable.

Yeah right! Irregardless isn't even a word. That drives me crazy too. I've also noticed with online dictionaries that they don't always include multiple definitions for some words, only the most common ones. What's that about?

Oh yes, and it's Whoa, which is just as ridiculous as woah when neither spelling reflects the actual pronunciation. That's one thing about the English language I hate - the spellings. Fucking dumb most of the time.

Blackjack_Jeeves

I'm a pepper, too...
I definitely consider Whoa to be more accurate... but that's not to say I don't see myself using Woah from time to time as well. It's more of a whim when I decide to use Woah. Besides, the way they are commonly pronounced, or at least the way I pronounce it, it has to be a Wh- sound, with a little bit of expelled air for the H sound in it. So I shall endeavor to use the Whoa spelling of it from now on, since that's more or less how I say it.

MissToodles

dead peasant
I definitely consider Whoa to be more accurate... but that's not to say I don't see myself using Woah from time to time as well. It's more of a whim when I decide to use Woah. Besides, the way they are commonly pronounced, or at least the way I pronounce it, it has to be a Wh- sound, with a little bit of expelled air for the H sound in it. So I shall endeavor to use the Whoa spelling of it from now on, since that's more or less how I say it.

If you listen very carefully, hardly anyone uses the "WH" sound in American English, it's practically extinct except for Southern English.

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
We need to get Whil Wheaton on the case as to the diction aspects.

Also are we talking a Keanu Reeves "whoah" or a Slim Pickens "whoa" or even an Al Pacino "whooaaaa". I think they could all be lumped in as variations on a theme.

Now if you'll excuse me, I will go back to beating this dead horse :p

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
Regardless of what you find on the "innernets", irregardless is NOT a word.

Try using it in a sentence (besides the sentence I used). :D

I actually hear people say irregardless all the time in real life, hence why I thought it was a word.

Spanky

Freakishly Normal
I actually hear people say irregardless all the time in real life, hence why I thought it was a word.

I think in all seriousness that it was mistaken for a proper prefix on regardless sounding like irreconcilable or irregular.

I always wonder where it starts. I think it is North Korea. Or Mars. Or the Food Thread here on Dims. :D

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I think in all seriousness that it was mistaken for a proper prefix on regardless sounding like irreconcilable or irregular.

I always wonder where it starts. I think it is North Korea. Or Mars. Or the Food Thread here on Dims. :D

Hah, maybe.

Latest posts