Japan Thinks the New Godzilla Should Hit The Treadmill

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Iannathedriveress

Random Heroine
I honestly didn't know where to put this article on the forum, but I though it's an interesting article.

http://kotaku.com/japan-thinks-the-new-godzilla-should-hit-the-treadmill-1569153148

Hollywood's latest take on Godzilla is hitting theaters next month, and while we've already heard some of Japan's response to the new and improved giant city-destroying monster, that was before they got a full picture. So what do they think of him now?

What Do Some Japanese Think of the New Godzilla?
Hollywood is making a new Godzilla movie. The last time Hollywood made a Godzilla movie, many in Japan hated how the lead kaiju looked.

From Japan's largest internet forum, 2ch, while some think positively of the new design, the overwhelming response is that the king of monsters has been hitting the twinkies a little hard in his off time.

Did he get fat?

His neck looks like an American football athlete's.

Is this Sin from Final Fantasy X?

Out of shape Godzilla

He's gone Supersize Me.

That's what happens when all you do is eat and lay around.

Did he gain weight?

He got beefed up from the radiation at Fukushima

Metabozilla...

He's pudgy and cute.

He looks better than the previous Hollywood Godzilla

He's got no neck...

He looks like a komodo dragon
While the commenters are piling it on a little harsh about Zilla's figure, Matt Frank, artist for IDW's Godzilla: Rulers of Earth comic and long-time kaiju fanatic, had a counter-argument on the big guy's size. Said Frank, "It's a little ridiculous for anyone in Japan to complain that 'the American Godzilla is fat' - after all, he definitely had a heavy phase in the Heisei Era...."

... True that.

I guess we'll be able to pass final judgment when the new Godzilla movie hits theaters on May 16th.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
After I saw a commercial with a thin Santa Claus, I realized nothing is sacred.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
Godzilla is one of my favorite horror creature of my childhood (I talking about AD tho not BC.) I thrived on a weekly diet of horror matinees at my local picture show. My top five favorite monsters were:
1. Dracula
2. Frankenstein
3. The Wolfman
4. The boy in 9th grade English class who teased me constantly, and
5. Godzilla.

All of these creatures of the night (and day) took different forms from movie to movie. Look at how many time Dracula has morphed from one picture show to another. I don't mind the changes - we cult kids enjoy the variations. (Remember, my first Godzillas were men in rubber suits.)

My main concern was (and is) . . . . How does the reptile king behave? I expect Godzilla to -

1. Live in the sea and stay close to Japan.
2. Be at least as tall as a three story building,
3. On land the monsters loves to destroy the power grid and pull up electrical wires,
4. Fight and destroy other monsters (Kill All Monsters) such as Mothra,
In his (or her) spare time, Godzilla is free to take down human beings or destroy human homes & villages.

So my vote on the new Lizzard King will have to wait until I see how he acts. Action is more important than looks.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Honestly, he's an enormous, nigh-invulnerable fire-breathing lizard spawned from atomic explosions or something.

YOU go up to him and tell him he's out of shape.

I'll be back here with the Japanese scientist-looking guys speaking badly-dubbed English while they do science-y things.
Hiding.
:)

The Orange Mage

♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓
It's important to note that within the offical Godzilla canon, the previous American film's creature is called 'Zilla, and he's small and weak and a joke character easily dispatched by the more established kaiju.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
View attachment 114314

They're right. Fat fuck of a monster needs to workout....how can he possibly function with those thunder thighs?
FatandProud,

I resemble that remark about "thunder thighs". And all the girls that are with me know we can not only function well with thunder thighs but can do some really amazing Amazonian feats (bad and good) with this two God given weapons - and I'm not talking about kickboxing either.

Plus, I was under the assumption that the Japanese appreciated certain warriors with thunder thighs AKA sumo wrestlers.

What I worried about with the new Gozilla was its little head. I thought perhaps his brain would suffer. Then I remember that some dinosaurs had a second brain in their tails or their butt. I figured there is plenty of room there for a second, full sized or even mega mind brain.

Zoom

Rogue
THIS is what happens when they don't have Raymond Burr to kick around anymore!!

Forgotten_Futures

The *other* Holy Trinity
Although the 1998 Godzilla movie was, itself, relatively crap, I liked the design for Godzilla him/her-self a lot more than this new one. 1998's looked a lot more lizard-like, and the longer neck actually gave it some head play that this new one is going to lack. Overall maneuverability looks like it's going to be compromised by this thicker frame, though it will probably be stronger to compensate.

superodalisque

I liked the old tacky kitschy ones from the 50s the best where you could almost see the wires and they he looked like he was kicking my legos around :D

MillyLittleMonster

Shinigami
He looks so wrong proportioned.

He looks like this in the remake

When I always grew up with him looking like this.

He looks not very intimidating in the new film the old ones look pretty scary still with the old costumes and models.
That being said I quite liked the look when he was sort of like a Xenomorph from Alien.
Not really a fan of the big bulky muscular Godzilla.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
They're right. Fat fuck of a monster needs to workout....how can he possibly function with those thunder thighs?
How could he function WITHOUT them? Square-cube law, folks. Muscle and bone cross-sections scale as the square of height, mass scales as its cube.

That's not flab -- it's muscle and bone. Without increasing the diameter of his legs, he'd be unable to support his own weight or move.

Like Gamera, he's made of meat.

Incidentally, this also explains why he's relatively immune to gunfire and even artillery -- imagine how strong his skin has to be to prevent edema when standing up, given the height difference between his head and feet!

And, honestly, he really is fluffy rather than fat. Much of his torso would have to be occupied by disproportionately large lungs in order to achieve adequate blood oxygenation.

Wikipedia

The Biology of B-movie Monsters

FatAndProud

I think the fat, no-neck godzerra is cute and I can identify with him as I'm fat and I live up North where my skin occasionally gets dry and scaly from the frigid winters :wubu:

Latest posts