Japan...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Russell Williams

It was a long time ago and things have probably changed somewhat but in the late 70s or early 80s a friend of mine and her sister went to Japan for awhile. My friend was about 5’9” and weighed between 300 and 350 pounds. Her sister was under 200 and about 6 feet tall. My friend said that when the two of them went out a lot of Japanese people looked at them in apparent wonderment.

More recently I and two fat female friends were in the Smithsonian. The friend who weighed over 400 pounds reported that an Asian man was stalking her with his camera. She went into a gift store and somehow managed to sneak up behind him. When he started to turn around she raised her arms to look even more imposing and yelled “boo”. According to her the man ran from the gift shop and she did not see him again.

collared Princess

It was a long time ago and things have probably changed somewhat but in the late 70s or early 80s a friend of mine and her sister went to Japan for awhile. My friend was about 5’9” and weighed between 300 and 350 pounds. Her sister was under 200 and about 6 feet tall. My friend said that when the two of them went out a lot of Japanese people looked at them in apparent wonderment.

More recently I and two fat female friends were in the Smithsonian. The friend who weighed over 400 pounds reported that an Asian man was stalking her with his camera. She went into a gift store and somehow managed to sneak up behind him. When he started to turn around she raised her arms to look even more imposing and yelled “boo”. According to her the man ran from the gift shop and she did not see him again.

Thats to funny

Jes

is oddly aroused
i remember being surrounded by a group of japanese men..or was it koreans?...anyway, they were huddled around me taking photos and my husband had to chase them off with a tiki torch!

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation
were you eating cake at the time?

i remember being surrounded by a group of japanese men..or was it koreans?...anyway, they were huddled around me taking photos and my husband had to chase them off with a tiki torch!

kioewen

Is this a sign of improvement for Japan? I received this from a Twitter I subscribe to. You know those "dating sim" games that are so common in Japan? Well, a new one features a plus-size (almost BBW) character:

http://twitter.com/judgmentofparis/status/6494613608

It's cool that the game creators at least think someone that curvy could be a love interest, especially given that you NEVER see larger girls in anime (as far as I know).

Reactions: Keb

Keb

Princess
Is this a sign of improvement for Japan? I received this from a Twitter I subscribe to. You know those "dating sim" games that are so common in Japan? Well, a new one features a plus-size (almost BBW) character:

http://twitter.com/judgmentofparis/status/6494613608

It's cool that the game creators at least think someone that curvy could be a love interest, especially given that you NEVER see larger girls in anime (as far as I know).
That's so cute!

fanofdimensions

she was on some program about beauty and fashion or something. she was treated fine, but a lot of it was how amazed they were at her size and that she was a fashion model and photographer.

another friend of mine went to Japan a while back, she's 5'9" and about 350+ lbs and dresses very goth/alternative, and said she wasn't treated poorly per se, but that she was always getting stares and looks, and many people, especially slender petite women, were asking to get their pictures taken with her and would compare the size of her (rather large) hips and butt to theirs.

Franklyn

I live in Japan!

Have for the last 7 Years (^^)

For the most part, Japan is not up on size acceptance... Women are considered 'fat' even if they way 50 kg... It's a bloody shame if you ask me (^^)

Any questions about life over here, feel free to drop me a line!

- Franklyn

smiley55

hey great thread! i hope it is still active somewhat. i grew up in japan for most of my life and been living in the states for about 8 years now. i was happy to see a forum like this and even more people i can relate with :). anyway, if anyone is still curious about what life is like in japan i hope i can give you some insight on what its like to live/visit there. i recently got back from a 3 month trip there and had a blast. also thinking about going back there this august for a month.
thanks!

cheers and have a great day!

s.

LordSheogorath

"Merc'! Merc'!"
My friend Kembo is Dutch American/Okinawan and Mexican. He's roughly 6'2 230lbs and the guy is as strong as an ox (broke a man's femur in two in combative training @ his basic training school in Augusta, GA.). His family were Okinawan farmers and weren't very small stature people. His family from Japan now resides in Kobe Bay and from what he's told me are still very stout and large. I've heard different stories from different people on how the issue is regarded there... some positive, some not so positive (my buddy says they think of fat people there, especially the women, as almost like monsters)... But my brother thats was stationed there in the Corps said that there were lots of chubby/larger women where he was at.

KuroBara

"She Coo"
I'm so jealous of people who have lived in Japan. I wouldn't care how I was treated, I just want to be there!! However, the market is saturated and I'm 30, so I'm too old to teach. There are always vacations. I went twice last year, and I was not treated badly, or I didn't notice it. Much better than South Korea.

superodalisque

i loved Japan. yes there is a definite sense of people being awestruck. being black on top of it makes you really surreal. i think people thought i'd break out singing. i was stared at a lot and even touched on the train:eek: but i never felt hated. i know that Japanese people really hate fat on themselves. i feel very sorry for them for that. but there was only lively curiosity for me. i was able to meet sumo and geisha while i was there because of my friends. i'm an artist as well. so maybe there was also this idea that my body was my art form that gave me a certain amount of license. i can't wait to go back since i enjoy the culture anyway.

and yes, there are quite a few very pent up FAs over there

collared Princess

We went to Japan in December and was on a show called unbelivable..they treated me like royality..It seemed everywhere I went people were taking pictures of me on thier cell phones..The biggest woman there seemed to be 200 pounds..
I couldnt tell if I was being treated so well because I was on a major tv show or if it is just the way of life there..
The taxi driver took me to a 1 yen shop and he bought me a calender..I asked if taxi drivers usually bought gifts for the passengers and they said no..
I was able to meet some sumo wrestlers and they stared at me for a while because I was bigger than them and they wernt used to that..
It took us a few months to get Japan out of our system..We were almost home sick to go back..oh and lets not even talk about the sushi there:eat1:

Shosh

Susannah
My sister went to Japan for two weeks earlier in the year, and she loved it!:)

BigCutieClaudia

I have a serious love of Japanese culture and language so i was very VERY curious about this thread. I am going to try to travel there within the next year and i will be black, fat and happy :-D I just wish i could fit their fucking amazing clothes!

Lamia

Like OMG!!
My friend and her husband went to Japan and they loved it. She showed me her scrapbook. She said while they were taking pictures people were taking pictures of them. So in her scrapbook she had lots of pictures of the people who were taking pictures of them. She said she didn't know if it was because of their size or ethnicity, or both. She said it didn't keep them from having a good time and it was kind of funny.

She did say that everything was so much smaller they had a few problems here and there. They went to a play and had to be seated in a section reserved for sumo wrestlers she said that was kind of embarrassing.