Just looking at email

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Barbsjw

UVM is aiming to do instruction f2f this fall. They're spending August getting the campus ready to have students/faculty/staff tested and instruction on how to be safe. It seems non-essential staff will have option to work remotely. Any advice on what I should do? (As a reminder I do diversity outreach and training. Roger is a professor)

Last edited:

op user

Would you be comfortable to carry a mask for the whole time spend at work?

op user

It is a kind of vicious cycle. You have the pregnancy and you need to be protected from contamination thus a mask is a good solution (if not the only one). But you need to constantly wear one.

Barbsjw

I sent my supervisor an email. In it I announced my pregnancy (revealed EDD), and let her know that I don't feel comfortable working onsite under the current circumstances.

Barbsjw

Joyce got back to me.

1. She's VERY happy for me about the pregnancy
2. Is VERY understanding about me not wanting to work onsite.

Roger unfortunately doesn't have the option to work remotely. Any advice to mitigate my risk?

Barbsjw

According to a Google search, the precautions I'm currently taking should be sufficient, BUT the data is VERY limited.

op user

From my US experience I can confirm the point of removing shoes as soon one arrives at home- maybe do the same with the outer layer of clothing (I don't want to go further on that).

Treat each food item as contaminated and keep clean it before consuming it.

Make sure you husband is as protected as he could be at work -wearing a full face mask all the time while at work.

Maybe I am talking nonsense so I will stop here

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
I work at a very large hospital on a medical campus in an inner city. Of course, all of the precautions that people know to take are helpful. However, there are some aspects of keeping yourself and your loved ones free of infection that people don't think about. I take a train to and from work each day so there are loads of places viruses can linger. I haven't missed a day of work since this whole thing started. I just take the prescribed precautions.

There are a few things a person can do to decrease their chances of catching any virus:

1. Be careful how you take your PPE (mask, gloves, etc) off. Always pull off (and put on) using the ear straps only. Touching the front part of the mask with your bare hands defeats part of the purpose of using it. If there is any virus in the air, it has probably stuck to the front of the mask.
  2. Avoid touching any part of your face when out in public. I have a bad habit of resting my face in my hands when thinking. I have to continually check myself on that.
  3. Carry hand sanitizer in your car. Put it on any time you enter BEFORE you touch anything else in the car.
  4. Washing hands goes without saying, BUT... Use the paper towel that you dry your hands off with to open doors on your way back to your area and then discard it in the trash.
  5. When you get home, take off your clothes immediately before you sit down anywhere.
Dealing with all of this can be done. It just takes extra effort on all our parts. Hope this helps.

op user

Add also that should gloves are worn they need to be remove first with a glove hand regularly grabbing the glove and then put an ungloved finger under the glove and peel it of.