Quantcast

Just looking at email

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
As I expected, my situation is EXACTLY the type who can stay home. So I got the go ahead to work from home. Will need to install Zoom on my computer. If we're STILL remotely working during Spring semester, I'll have to warn them that: if you suddenly can't see me, it's because I'm doing something you probably don't want to see.
🎈Yay that you can stay home!👏

Just here to mention that i’ve read that very recent and current versions of Firefox allow running Zoom sessions within the browser without having to install the horrible (my opinion) Zoom software. Likely not as feature-rich, so if you want to do the thing with fancy backgrounds or whatever (if your system supports it), you’d need the actual Zoom app.

(This is based upon reading and helping my housemate/ex with her work Zoom sessions (ugh!). I am proud to share that so far i have not been in even one Zoom session for anything.)

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
TY @Sonic Purity! Do you think I'm overthinking people being bothered by what I'll need to be doing during meetings?
Overthinking? Nah: it’s pragmatic to think through new interaction scenarios before they happen.

Videoconferencing, or at least doing it most of the time for what have been in-person interactions, is new for most people. That newness gives everyone some leeway. Facility culture also is a significant factor, as that will set expectations.

Example: housemate/ex BBW Siber Hussy works at The Huntington Museum, Art Galleries, and Botanical Garden, in the latter department. Her Zoom meetings are department group meetings, with the department head running them and controlling things. She spends most of her time on both video and audio mute, watching and listening but not visible nor audible, which apparently is perfectly good in The Huntington botanical department’s culture. When she’s called upon or feels the need to interact, she’ll switch on at least her audio and i think also her video (i hear her more than see over her shoulder what she’s doing during meetings). Part of this is because she does not suffer fools lightly (if at all), and wants to ensure that any rants she may find herself falling into remain within the confines of this house. (The home edition of these meetings tends to be far more colorful and entertaining than the official shared version.)

You know what you’ll be doing and likely with whom you’ll be interacting and at least generally the expectations.

For me, having done almost no videoconferencing, if i needed to set up for this, i’d be spending some time doing test video sessions with a friend or family member or whomever else well before any official work events, to ensure all the software and hardware are working and so on. In my case i’d additionally need to adjust the camera position and lighting and things so i wouldn’t look (too much) like garbage on the video feed. If you have it all set up and dialed in with the software and hardware and location and everything else you’ll actually be using, you’ll likely come off like a seasoned video expert.

Barbsjw

Thanks for the thorough response! But I think I was being too subtle there: I'm wondering if me worrying about nursing during meetings is overthinking things. (We don't have any newish moms in our department) Hopefully they'll be understanding if/when they suddenly can't see me. On the upside: this won't be an issue until March.

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
Ah.
Is it possible for you to set expectations well in advance by only doing headshots of yourself? If you’re doing that from the get-go with everything below your neck out of frame, then once you start nursing it’ll be no change.

Barbsjw

Yeah, I was thinking either send a memo saying,"Don't freak out if you can't see me. I'm still here." Or I obviously could angle the camera collarbone-up.

Barbsjw

I realized something obvious: I could do occasional practice Zoom meetings while I'm on leave, both to get used to the format and work out the kinks of doing seminars while nursing.

Last edited:

Latest posts