Karl Lagerfeld, fat-hating fashion icon, dead at 85

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy

Sorry, tried to edit the misspelling of his name in the headline but could not edit the headline, only the body of the post. His name was "Lagerfeld."

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Edited the title.

Also - I think this is a slightly too harsh obituary for Karl Lagerfeld.

He was a high-fashion designer - how many of those do you know who are/were actually plus-size, let alone fat friendly?

Some are just more PC or hypocritical than others - and Lagerfeld at least was always honest. Malicious remarks, directed against anybody and everybody definitely were his daily bread - and his motto in life was "thou shalt not bore", so most things he said should be taken with a grain of salt.

The most beautiful dress ever made for Marianne Sägebrecht, with the most gorgeous pics taken - were both by Lagerfeld. I'll see if I can find them to share on here.

RIP Karl der Große

LeoGibson

Happy
I know little of his clothing line but his signature fragrance was one of my first forays out of the cheap “drugstore” fragrances and into the designer ones. And while I don’t wear it very often any longer I still keep a bottle of it and also regular old Polo on hand just for old times sake. RIP Karl and thanks for the many compliments I got wearing your signature scent!

Tracyarts

My first "real" fragrance was KL Chloe' in 1980. A friend of the family gave me a small bottle because she felt it was soft and feminine, appropriate for a "young lady". I've always kept a bottle for nostalgia and to wear now and then.

I know little of his clothing line but his signature fragrance was one of my first forays out of the cheap “drugstore” fragrances and into the designer ones. And while I don’t wear it very often any longer I still keep a bottle of it and also regular old Polo on hand just for old times sake. RIP Karl and thanks for the many compliments I got wearing your signature scent!

Shotha

It's sad that someone died but I can't say that I paid any attention to Karl Lagerfeld. In fact, up until the moment that I heard of his death in the news, I had actually forgotten that he even existed. He's entitled to his opinion. I approve of my fat body and my big belly. For me, what other people think of my body is irrelevant, because they don't have to live in it. I'm sorry to hear of his death and his family and friends have my condolences.

Reactions: Aqw

John Smith

Edited the title.

Also - I think this is a slightly too harsh obituary for Karl Lagerfeld.

He was a high-fashion designer - how many of those do you know who are/were actually plus-size, let alone fat friendly?

Some are just more PC or hypocritical than others - and Lagerfeld at least was always honest. Malicious remarks, directed against anybody and everybody definitely were his daily bread - and his motto in life was "thou shalt not bore", so most things he said should be taken with a grain of salt.

The most beautiful dress ever made for Marianne Sägebrecht, with the most gorgeous pics taken - were both by Lagerfeld. I'll see if I can find them to share on here.

RIP Karl der Große
So why are you bothered about such a harsh obituary? "Thou shalt not bore thou either" mate. :rolleyes:

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
So why are you bothered about such a harsh obituary? "Thou shalt not bore thou either" mate. :rolleyes:
The only thing that is really boring are monolithic opinions - so alone introducing another perspective is always worthwhile. And if there is something we should really value here at Dims, it is allowing a diversity of opinion.

Also there's that old Latin saying: "de mortibus nihil nisi bene" - which often does lead to absurd accolades. But just the opposite, namely bashing, doesn't do 99% of all people justice either.

Starling

I’ve always wondered how much of Karl’s fat hating was due to his own self-loathing. He *did* lose 90lbs to “look more like a designer” though I think his designs when he was chubby were more playful. He also had many muses (like Lily Allen) who, while they’e quite slim for “real people” are often lambasted by the press for being heavy. Fashion has historically been a sadly toxic environment though I think it’s moving in way more interesting and inclusive directions currently. I do see the death of Karl as the beginning of the end of an era for old school fashion.

BBW MeganLynn44DD

Perfectly Round
Kind of a rough and mean way to look at things.Never really cared for his style even if I could have fit into his clothes.Not everyone can appreciate our figures!

Reactions: Aqw

Killexia

I've always loved haute couture despite the size issues and Lagerfeld was a character. Lol I love Chanel's house style and he will never be replaced easily.

Shotha

I thought you were being snotty. Sorry to read that wrong. Lol
Thank you, whatever you thought, because you've given me an idea. There are plenty of blogs about how to dress and groom well as a fat guy. They are all obsessed with making us look slimmer. I'm planning on doing a blog on how to dress to emphasize the fact that we're fat. I'm not keeping this secret, because a little competition would make us serve our audience better and because it would be nice for women to have a blog like that.

Latest posts

Group builder