Kevin Smith Ejected From Southwest Airlines

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by BigCutieSasha, Feb 14, 2010.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Feb 18, 2010 #141

RJI

RJI

RJI

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

I work for Amtrak and if I had a dollar for every customer that compared the price of an Airline flight to the cost of a Train ticket I would be retired in Maui!
    After I explain to them how much of their tax money is given to the Airlines and how little goes to the Railroad they usually lighten up.
    Just so you know Obama is pumping some new money into the Railroad and several high speed rail projects have been green lit and funded so things will be improving hopefully. Vice President Biden is a huge Amtrak buff so thats a nice thing for me at least.

Virgin is breathing down the U.S. rails neck and dying to get its high speed trains on our soil so more money needs to be put into U.S. high speed rail development or else it will be taken over by a foreign company.

2. Feb 19, 2010 #142

superodalisque

superodalisque

superodalisque

i'll be really glad when this happens especially in regards to what fathiker said about the marketplace realities of the airlines. i think we need to have more ways to be responsible for getting our own fat bodies from point A to point B. so, if one way does not work we have many more broad economic alternatives so that we don't end up making ourselves look like the enemies of the thin and having fat drama follow us whenever we travel. for the most part i find that people are really outraged about having to pay for the additional seat simply because they just don't have the cash. so, definitely fat people need a cheaper alternative and thats probaly not going to be the airlines because the cost of fuel is too high. lets face it, if my ass is twice as wide as the norm and i weigh twice as much as the norm its not totally outrageous for the airlines to ask me to buy 2 seats. i'm not mad at the airlines for catering to the norm. i'm responsible for how much i eat to get the size that i am and i don't expect the world to manage itself based on the choices i make that put me in the population of the rare. and no matter how many tantrums we throw at the airport it probably won't change much overall unless the airlines can find an alternative fuel. bring on rapid rail-we are waaay overdue.

3. Feb 20, 2010 #143

99Haints

99Haints

99Haints

Exactly. Also, having one shared armrest-for two arms-makes the line between the seats pretty sketchy. Being in the middle, you could have two, one, or zero armrests for yourself. It's an especially troublesome spot for a "customer of size" because you can't lean away anywhere. Anyone whose sides press against them could be accused of encroaching into someone elses' space, and there's no way to argue otherwise.

4. Feb 20, 2010 #144

Will S

Will S

Will S

Well I would not mind having a bbw encroach on my space if I could lay my head down on her and make myself comfortable. There several ladies here for which the pleasure of being on long flight with them, would be all mine.

5. Feb 24, 2010 #145

Duniwin

Duniwin

Duniwin

rebmeM sdrawkcaB

Just had to post this:
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, this example of the enforcement of the their policy is inhumane and unfair.

6. Feb 28, 2010 #146

mithrandirjn

mithrandirjn

mithrandirjn

That's one of the more underrated aspects so far since the start of the Obama Administration; I really can't wait for Amtrak and the American rail system, in general, to improve and rejuvenate itself. I rode Acela for a trip to Boston from Newark over the summer and very much enjoyed it, including the scenic views along the way in Connecticut.

As for Kevin Smith (my Jersey homeboy), what the whole issue highlights more than anything else is that, regardless of whether one thinks a fat person should have to buy a second ticket or not, airlines absolutely MUST get their crap together when it comes to a straight forward, hard and fast rule on the subject. Enough dancing around it, enough halfway-ing things, just comes to a conclusion and stick to it.

7. Feb 9, 2011 #147

ThatFatGirl

ThatFatGirl

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?

Kevin has lost 65 lbs. He was on The Joy Behar show last night talking about his experience on SW Airlines and his weight loss . Joy cracks me up, "Are you on amphetamines?"

(From popeater.com)
    "I sympathize far more with heavier people than I ever will with thin -- I'll never be thin," he told the host. "Let's be honest, I've lost 65 pounds, but nobody's going 'I wanna sleep with you!' They're just like, 'Keep going, you look better.'"

He's still furious about being thrown off the flight last year, and "felt at that moment 'I'll lose the weight, but I'm not putting on thinner clothes.' I'm still the same person I was when I was 65 pounds heavier." He added that "sometimes a fat dude has a lot to offer, if [you] can just get past the blubber."

[​IMG]

8. Feb 10, 2011 #148

PunkyGurly74

PunkyGurly74

PunkyGurly74

History wonkette

I freakin' love Kevin Smith - Dogma is one of my top 10 movies..he is brilliant and funny.

I am flying to Florida on Monday and I specifically did not choose SouthWest because of his experience. I was afraid the same thing would happen to me!!

9. Feb 10, 2011 #149

AnnMarie

AnnMarie

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰

It's really too bad his body image is so low, but given the world he lives in, it's certainly understandable.

10. Feb 10, 2011 #150

PeanutButterfly

PeanutButterfly

PeanutButterfly

I wish we could recruit Kevin James to Dims. He seems like such a nice guy and he's funny as hell. But mostly I love his attitude about losing weight. It mirrors a lot of how I feel. No matter what my size is I'll always be a big girl at heart. Like others said, I wish he knew just how cute he is. :smitten:

11. Feb 10, 2011 #151

Isa

Isa

Isa

In search of....

His body image has always been low. The cruel statements he makes about himself are often beyond cringe worthy. It is worth noting that he's been on many diets in the past and always falls off of them due to is love of eating. I really need to get caught up on his podcasts to hear how he's going about it this time and his thoughts in general about the weight loss.

I really hope it wasn't just a knee jerk response to the SW debacle.

12. Feb 10, 2011 #152

HeavyDuty24

HeavyDuty24

HeavyDuty24

Come on rise up

Kevin Smith is AWESOME! screw Southwest Airlines.JERKS! :mad:

13. Feb 10, 2011 #153

mossystate

mossystate

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad

Less shame about the weight, whatever it is...and more shame for wearing those jerseys.

shuefly pie likes this.
  14. Feb 10, 2011 #154

Christov

Christov

Christov

Unpopular opinion time; Kevin Smith hasn't made a movie or written a comic book that was any good in years, and he's only vaguely interesting when he's getting pissed off about something.

Also his opinions on indie film are based entirely in fiction, and marketing his latest film as one is entirely bogus because it's pretty much assumed his friends at The Weinstein Company are booking the theatres and sorting his shit out.

15. Feb 10, 2011 #155

AnnMarie

AnnMarie

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰

I don't disagree. I like some of his stuff, but unless he's ranting now, it's all about promotion and it's boring and grinding. Following him on Twitter was painful waiting for "real" time between endless promotions (which I get it, it's his Twitter, yadda, yadda). But I had to stop following because I couldn't take it.

16. Feb 10, 2011 #156

Fish

Fish

Fish

Artist of stuff

I'm not going to comment on your opinions of the quality of his more recent work, since they ARE opinions, and I half agree with them and half disagree, but that's neither here nor there.

Concerning "Red State", the last I'd read, the Weinstein's chose not to provide funding. But even if they booked every theater, it wouldn't make the film any less "indie". And while plenty of people choose to define indie films with very loose and usually very personal definitions, what essentially makes a film "indie" is financing. "Red State" is an independent film as it's funding does not come from a major studio. Distribution is not a defining factor.

How is it that you choose to define "indie" in this case that you're saying that it's "bogus" to call "Red State" indie?

17. Feb 10, 2011 #157

Christov

Christov

Christov

Yes it bloody does.

Half the battle with independent film is getting it into theatres. When you've got people with leverage like the Weinsteins doing that stuff for you, it essentially removes half the trials independent films have to go through. Yeah, the film wasn't funded by a huge studio, but neither was The Passion of the Christ, and that's hardly considered an independent film either. This would be entirely a non-issue if he didn't make such a big deal about how big studios fuck people over and how he's sticking it to the man by making an indie film.

Smith's comments about the state of independent film are entirely hollow, whining about how it's 'so hard' and that people 'shouldn't bother getting into the industry'. The fucker held a faux distributor action to attract attention and is having the Weinsteins do everything besides wiping his ass when he defecates himself during a Twitter rant.

He's a smug condescending fuck.

18. Feb 10, 2011 #158

Fish

Fish

Fish

Artist of stuff

No it bloody doesn't! There, I'm faux-cussing. Does it make my point more right then yours that way?

While distribution is a major hurdle for many indie filmmakers, that isn't what defines a film as independent. And the Weinstein Company IS an independent one anyway, so they could "wipe his ass" 24/7 and it wouldn't make "Red State" any less independent.

While YOU may not consider it an independent film, I hate to break it to you, but it absolutely WAS an independent film. It was self financed and self distributed. That's the absolute definition of independent movie whether you like it or not. Hell, as a matter of pure technicality, every STAR WARS film after the first were independent films that, while distributed by 20th Century Fox, were financed by Lucas' own company and bank loans.

Your personal opinion of a film or it's artistic merit isn't a factor. While many "art" films are "Independent", that's not a criteria for classification.

Which means nothing in this issue. You can hate him 6 ways from Sunday, and none of that changes the definition of "independent film".

19. Feb 10, 2011 #159

Christov

Christov

Christov

Heading into deli-territory there, Fish.

Not going to dispute that it had independent funding or meets the standard requirements to be an indie flick.

I've already made it clear that my own problem is that he's acting under a sense of self importance and is using the term 'independent film' as a way of spreading a holier-than-thou attitude he has towards big studios. Let's face it, he's an established director who had his fans finance the film and is letting the Weinsteins handle all of the business, he has absolutely no right to complain about how hard indie films are to make when he's had the funds handed to him on a silver plate by one of the many cronies at his SModcastle.

These are the reasons why I don't consider it an indie film. He's circumvented a far too much of the process and cheapened the credibility of it with his whining bullshit.

But remember, it's just an opinion. You don't really have to agree, but while you may state it meets the classic requirements to be an indie film, the circumstances regarding the details leaves that open to dispute and interpretation.

20. Feb 10, 2011 #160

Saoirse

Saoirse

Saoirse

Who the fuck cares. Don't watch his stuff.