• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Labor Day!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saoirse

Growing up, Labor Day was just the day that signified the coming end of summer and the dreaded return to school. It was a weekend of parties and picnics and barbecues. It still is a day for summer fun and I love it! We had a cookout at my house yesterday and I ate like a pig!

But I just wanted to share something I posted on facebook this morning...

"Yesterday a friend said to me "Labor Day isn't even a real holiday." and that kinda struck a nerve with me. Labor Day is the day we celebrate, commemorate and honor the hard workers of this country, the people who gave blood, sweat and sometimes their lives, to build up and move forward the United States of America. We cannot forget the men and women (and children, especially before 1938) who toiled in the factories, mills, fields and homes of the wealthy, desperately trying to earn a living and simultaneously, bettering our country. We must also thank those who are currently doing labor and trade jobs. Without them, we wouldn't have homes or schools, roads, food... or anything else! To me, Labor Day is the essence of a real holiday. Its not based on religion or legend- its based on the *very real* hard work of the American people."

My father was a carpenter/laborer for almost 3 decades. He worked on many big projects, like schools and hospitals, but his real passion was bridges. I swear my Pa has worked on nearly every bridge in all of Western Massachusetts. He worked long, he worked hard and he worked smart. He spent all day long in the sun, the rain and the snow, making our passageways safe. He sweat and bled and pushed through injuries. He rose every morning at the crack of down, sometimes having to drive over an hour to a job site. He came home tired, but ready to get work around the house done. Fortunately in the past year, my father was able to retire, with good pensions and benefits. But he's not one to move to Florida and golf for the rest of his life (although he does admit, it sounds pretty sweet). Oh no. My daddy might be retired, but he's still working hard, helping friends and neighbors with renovations and such and doing the work on our home that had to be put off when he worked full-time. But as he says, now he makes his own hours! :p

We need our doctors, lawyers, teachers and the business-minded folks. We need the thinkers and the planners and the money-makers. But like my Momma told me- We'll always need those ditch diggers too!

Happy Labor Day, folks!

Latest posts

Back