• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Land of the Beautiful People?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuriousKitten

Absolutely Adorable
As she timidly posts.... be nice I'm new...

Here is an article I wrote for a local newspaper. I'm still waiting on approval but I wanted to share it with you all.

Iceland: Land of the Beautiful People?​

When you hear the word “Iceland” most people think of glaciers, geysers, lava fields, and the blue lagoon. When you hear the word “Icelander” most people think of tall blond physically fit Vikings, or in the female case, supermodels. Perhaps Magnús Scheving aka Sportacus from the hit children’s TV show Lazy Town comes to mind. Or perhaps one thinks of Jón Páll Sigmarsson, the Icelandic bodybuilder who won a myriad of contests including World’s Strongest Man four times and placing three additional times. Or perhaps you think of Unnur Birna Vilhjámsdóttir, winner of the 2005 Miss World Pageant. Clearly, Iceland is the land of beautiful people.

If you live in Iceland, perhaps you have heard of Egill Einarsson aka Gillzenegger. He even wrote Biblía Fallega Fólksins (The Bible for Beautiful People.) While this book did not receive a serious reception, it’s anti-nerd tendencies and pro-hnakki ideals have much to say about the current status of body image in Iceland. Wiktionary defines hnakki as: (slang)one of a stereotypical grouping of people (esp. teenagers and young adults) who are (purportedly) into sports, fitness, tanning, etc., dress lightly and often have their hair colored blonde; a jock.

In an article in the English newspaper The Grapevine Erik Davide writes in his article entitled Look like a Local (Issue 12 Fri. Aug 11 2006) “In Iceland, however, if you are a “chunky junky,” it might be hard to find a date.” The article is all about the gyms in Iceland and the pressure he felt to join. So it would seem that Iceland is full of beautiful people and the pressure to be an Adonis or supermodel is great. So all Icelanders should love their bodies, right?

Insert reality. In a poll I conducted for this article, NONE of the recipients of either sex reported that they were happy with their body image. When asked about what the view of Icelandic bodies were today, one recipient aptly replied: “Icelandic people think that they should look like this super slim, overly makeup-ed, and tanned person with all the designer cloths. Everyone is so worried about their bodies because they wanna look like that “ideal look” that they forget to be happy.”

So the question is, would Iceland, with all its preconceived ideas of beauty be open to a fat acceptance movement? The poll showed that people either were unsure or thought that it was about damn time someone promoted this. Being a firm promoter of the BHM FFA movement, I focused on the reception of such a movement in Iceland. For those who are unfamiliar with the terms, BHM means Big Handsome Man or an overweight man, and FFA means a female fat admirer which is a woman who prefers overweight men. According to statistics, currently 13% of all Icelandic males are obese. 53% of males ages 24-34 are overweight. The number jumps to 61% in the 35-44 age group. These statistics show that despite the notions of beauty in Iceland, the reality is that the majority of the population do not fit these ideals or come remotely close.

The point of the BHM FFA movement in Iceland would be to break down those stereotypical ideals and instead focus on helping BHMs accept their own body image and boost their self esteem. It would also give closet FFAs a boost to come out of the closet and admit to their preferences of finding larger men attractive.

Currently as an active member of the BFC (http://www.bhmffaconnection.com), I encourage all beautiful handsome large male Icelanders to join our site and check it out as well as all the wonderful female fat admirers. Currently the BFC has 4 Icelandic members.

The poll showed that the majority of people seek a mate or date in a bar or club setting. This can be very overwhelming or depressing for larger men who have to compete with their buff peers and can be frustrating for those FFAs who are only hit on by men they aren’t attracted to and are too shy to approach the men they do like. To facilitate matching more BHMs with FFAs, I have decided to host regular BHM FFA nights at my bar. All BHMs, FFAs, and those who are friends of the fat acceptance movement are invited to attend. The first Sunday of every month we can all hang out at Pool@Bar in Keflavik Iceland. The start date will be announced on the BFC along with any further information and directions.

And to conclude on a note of irony, Gillzenegger, promoter of beautiful people, was caught with this on his website:

Sp: Hvað finnst þér um stórar konur (ég ekki að meina hávaxnar) og hefur þú einhverntíman prófað að setja í eina svoleiðis?

Sv: Sæll og blessaður nafnlaus. Ég hef alltaf sagt að það að persónuleikinn er númer 1,2, og 3. En auðvitað spilar útlit alltaf SMÁ hlutverk í þessu. En Harry félagi minn hefur t.d. mjög oft tekið þunga gæja með sér heim og hann vill meina það að fólk sem er í þyngri kantinum leggi sig meira fram á skeiðvellinum en annað fólk. Þannig ef þú varst með einhverja lænaða upp sem er í yfirvigt þá bara kýldu á það. Endilega láttu okkur síðan vita hvernig það var. Kv, G-Maðurinn

Translation

Q: So what do you think of big women (and I don’t mean ‘tall’), did you ever have sex with one? (his wording is a bit more crude)

A: Hey there anonymous. I’ve always said that personality is number 1, 2 and 3. But appearance always plays SOME role. My buddy Harry has, for example, often taken some very overweight guys home with him, and he says that it’s often the heavier people who make more of an effort in bed than others. So if you have one lined up that happens to be overweight, I say go for it. And please tell us how it was.

G-Man
So in conclusion, would you rather be one of the beautiful people or better in bed?

Curious Kitten (c) 2008​

Back