Lizzo's Twerking Controversy

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

John Smith

Lizzo's Twerking Controversy - Or How a Fat, Apple-Shaped Black Woman's Contrarian "Clout-Trolling" Ever Challenges New Depths of Misogyny, Sexualization, Misogynoir & the Indignant Bigot in this Social Media Era

How spreading your cheeks at a sexualization-friendly cultural event full of sweaty musclebound men (mostly) of colour and full-bodied women in skimpy outfits while being Lizzo, keep unvealing us a way much lot about the flaws and lies that American society-- let alone Western society, keep telling to itself.

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
Anyone who decides to wear an assless dress and thong to a public event (regardless, of size, color, etc) is going to probably make people think "WTF?". Throwing in the twerking and your asking for the criticism. She is free to do what she wants but she is not free from the consequences.

And basketball as a sexualization friendly cultural event? Seriously?

I am a fan of Lizzo but it was a poor choice for the time and place. You can be sexy as hell but it does not require the world's focus to be on your ass all the time. I get that it is her schtick to be all about her ass (look no further than her performance at the MTV VMA this year complete with an inflatable ass that covered the stage. She runs the risk of her schtick garnering all the attention rather than her actual talent which is the real star of her act. Her beauty is just the cherry on top.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
Not sure I agree. The cheerleaders/dancers on the field are highly sexualized, small costumes, with boobs bouncing everywhere. It is like there is something sacred about being attached to the playing field. Would I make the decision to wear that outfit in that situation, no. But she shouldn’t be demonized for something that a smaller woman would only be chastised.

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
The typical NBA cheerleader costumes do not have cut outs over the backside with nothing but mesh covering the ass and a thong underneath. I couldn't imagine a cheerleading outfit like that being approved by the league. There was a line and Lizzo crossed it. If a smaller wore the same outfit in the same environment and did the same thing as Lizzo then the reaction would be the same.

I hope this doesn't derail her career because like I said previously, I am a fan. She is new to fame and is still learning.

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Not sure I agree. The cheerleaders/dancers on the field are highly sexualized, small costumes, with boobs bouncing everywhere. It is like there is something sacred about being attached to the playing field. Would I make the decision to wear that outfit in that situation, no. But she shouldn’t be demonized for something that a smaller woman would only be chastised.
*Healthy Debate*
You make a good point about the cheerleaders/dancers at a game. They are also highly sexualized. But there's a difference between a cheerleader doing her job, out on the court, with others that are paid to do what they do and some random person in the stands doing what Lizzo did. The cheerleaders usually have on a little (and I stress the words a little) more than Lizzo had on in terms of her rear showing. Second, there are children at the game and watching on television. Yes, those same children watch the cheerleaders, so no argument there. But parents know what to expect when they buy the ticket or sit down and tune into the game. I'm not sure anyone expects someone in the stands to start twerking in an attempt to: A) Make a socio-political statement, B) Shock and awe us with there nascent twerking skills, or C) Make a vain attempt to further their career or try to continue to be relevant.

Now, far be it from me to not appreciate a nice, full rump, doing it's best to hypnotize me. I am never going to deny myself the pleasure of such an act. Unless I've got a bunch of young and impressionable kids who will almost assuredly get the wrong message from such a scene. Just sayin'. ;)

Last edited:

Rojodi

So it's okay for the skinny chicks to show butt, not Lizzo, because of the kids?
*shaking head*

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Why does it always have to be about her size? Why do people assume that someone of equal celebrity status (Jlo is on another level entirely) but of dissimilar size would not be equally admonished? I disagree with that assumption. I think that if a performer who's only been in the public eye for a year or so did the same thing, the talk about career ending antics would be just as valid. When you haven't really established yourself (i.e. - cross genres, cross mediums, receive multiple accolades, etc.), one big mistake can break you (sometimes it can also make you but that's a story for another day).

I don't think society at large is upset about the size of her ass. It's about the way she went about it and the venue. I don't have a problem with her BBA, in fact I rather enjoy seeing one whenever I'm lucky enough (damn, it's been a while!). Sure there will always be haters, but it's less about who or what, and more about when and where.

Now we're up to four cents!

BBA = Big Beautiful Ass

John Smith

That’s exact.

John Smith

These people have no problem about scantily dressed thinner female celebrities of equal or greater fame status twirling around or about half-naked pompom girls or members of the staff shoving their buttocks or cleavage right to the faces of children, but when Lizzo does they’re losing their mind. Give me some break.

squeezablysoft

So it's okay for the skinny chicks to show butt, not Lizzo, because of the kids?
*shaking head*
No, that would not have been appropriate dress and behavior in that situation for anyone regardless of size. But admittedly Lizzo is probably unfairly getting more public backlash from it than a skinny woman would have.

Latest posts

Group builder