Lizzzzzzzzzo

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

waldo

HHMMM!!!??? Is Lizzo alluding to certain male celebrities cavorting with fat chicks like herself 'in the shadows'? It is not like there is no precedent.
The basis for the classic song "Whole Lotta Love" is apparently from Robert Plant having 'gotten it on' with a plus-sized female fan.
Then there is Bon Scott's classic "Whole Lotta Rosie".
I am not sure what to makes of the band Queen's classic song "Fat Bottomed Girls" after Freddie Mercury turned out to be gay, but maybe it was an ode to the fatties by one of his bandmates!?

I still wait patiently (OK not so patiently) for at least one major celeb or superstar athlete to come out as fat admirer!. Damn I hope it happens before I die (I feel like a Cubs or Red Sox fan hoping their team would conquer the curse before said fan dies)😔

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I am not sure what to makes of the band Queen's classic song "Fat Bottomed Girls" after Freddie Mercury turned out to be gay, but maybe it was an ode to the fatties by one of his bandmates!?
I know it's a bit of a tangent, but as a Queen fan, I can answer that one. Firstly, Freddie was bi rather than gay; he certainly appreciated beautiful women and was known to date men and women that were heavier as well as thinner ones. I do remember him doing a live show once and dedicating a song to "Anybody with great big tits and a great big arse" as a compliment, so I think that speaks for itself, hah.

Fat Bottomed Girls itself was written by Brian May though, one of his bandmates, like you said. It actually wasn't about plus sized women at all, it was just a metaphor for women who aren't perfect/model stunning. He did an interview once where he explained this. The band did also say that they never explained the meaning of their songs to each other though, so I'd be surprised if Freddie knew it wasn't actually about girls with big butts, because he sure sang/performed it like it was, hah!

waldo

I know it's a bit of a tangent, but as a Queen fan, I can answer that one. Firstly, Freddie was bi rather than gay; he certainly appreciated beautiful women and was known to date men and women that were heavier as well as thinner ones. I do remember him doing a live show once and dedicating a song to "Anybody with great big tits and a great big arse" as a compliment, so I think that speaks for itself, hah.

Fat Bottomed Girls itself was written by Brian May though, one of his bandmates, like you said. It actually wasn't about plus sized women at all, it was just a metaphor for women who aren't perfect/model stunning. He did an interview once where he explained this. The band did also say that they never explained the meaning of their songs to each other though, so I'd be surprised if Freddie knew it wasn't actually about girls with big butts, because he sure sang/performed it like it was, hah!
Thanks so much for clarifying regarding the song from Queen (a great rock band if ever there was one), and apologies for mistakenly characterizing Freddie as gay, versus bi (I realize it is VERY different as I have my own bi tendencies). I don't know, maybe it was coming out of the 'Twiggy' era when super thin got a big tail-wind. Anyways, their song along with the others I mentioned (especially Bon's AC/DC classic) will always be favorites for me!

Latest posts