Lookism and #MeToo

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by Cynthia, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Dec 17, 2017 #21

quantumbits

quantumbits

quantumbits

It depends how you respond too. Is the person exploiting you in a threatening way? I once was spanked at work by female coworker. I imagine some peolpe in my position would have filed a sexual harassment claim??? Either way, I was young and the feminist movement wasn't even on my radar. I. Was. Unafraid. Of. This. Lady. She was no threat to me. In fact, it kind of made me feel good because maybe it made her feel good? Anyway, nothing heppened. Same thing happened at another job, but it was more of a friendly pat. Sometimes I wonder if some people take these things toooooooooo seriously. Like they're willing to DESTROY that other person merely because they maybe went too far being friednly or dumb? So it's ok to almost destroy a person's career for making a goof?

Understandably, REAL sexual assault is a big deal. Sexual predators are a real thing and pursue prey--sometimes underage--over decades of time. And nobody should be too casual about touching others. It's a private space you shouldn't cross carelessly. Still, we're not robots. Is that what we're trying to be? I can already see how this is going to cause some people to be too private and essentially it probably erodes relationshpis and marriages. Because if people are living in fear or inexperience, they might not participate anymore. Why take risks when you can put up walls and live more safely? Forget it. Retreat! It's a battle not worth fighting. Government will have to scramble to keep reproductive rates and society togehter before they crumble.

I want to add I've NEVER touched anybody else that way. Wouldn't dream of doing that. I'm probably going to be single for the rest of my life. I just htink we shouldn't overdo the rules. Go after the people who deserve it. But we're sexual social beings. Life is already stacked against us. Do we really want to make it even harder? Umm, some people are barely hanging on. There're so many threats in hte world right now. In terms of change, not just disaster, I'm not sure any peoples in Earth's history ever confronted more. Yes there're some big events in history to compete with modern times. Like hte eruption over 70,000 years ago. Or firemaking a million years ago. The ice age. But we're approaching a time period when we will be able to change our genetics directly, being able to do in a short time what otherwise required millions of years. With the right sequence of events, we could devastate all life on Earth and wipe out most of hte mammals. Millons upon millions of years of evolutionary progress would be lost. Even without that kill switch, 30% or more of species could be lost in the next 50 to 100 years just to our presence alone. Are we prepared for all this? Whne have we ever been? It's always been a struggle. Everytime we're thrown down we get back up. But how long will that last?

2. Dec 17, 2017 #22

John Smith

John Smith

John Smith

The best question is rather : "why you are you somehow comfortable with the perfect opposite of this phenomenon, in another instance "silence" ?" .

3. Dec 17, 2017 #23

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

I think people find it unsettling how pervasive it is. Much more comfortable to just assume it’s rare and ignore it.

4. Dec 17, 2017 #24

Tracii

Tracii

Tracii

One high level Facebook employee (ex employee) admitted FB was always about division and keeping people at each other throats.
    I rarely respond to stupid bickering on FB or click on articles. I keep up with friends and family but thats about it.

If someone sees two people arguing on FB they won't know which one is the idiot so I choose not to get involved and look like the idiot.

5. Dec 20, 2017 #25

petersmyth79

petersmyth79

petersmyth79

This I think is actually right on the money and from my own observations I am sure facebook is about division. I hate the things people use facebook to "fight for", There is for certain a need to acknowledge that some people for sure engage in behavior that is immoral and sometimes illegal, but I really don't always need to be bombarded with negative stuff/hate and yeah arguments between people that often don't even know each other about everything. The problem I have with especially FB and twitter is that everyone using them always seems to have an agenda; we can't just look at even mostly positive things when looking at our fb feed. I am not saying things shouldn't be talked about but on social media we're not really talking about anything anyway we are just having an opinion or having a vent/unload or using facebook to (deliberately or subconsciously) work out who believes the same things we believe and seek to change the mind of everyone that does not agree with whatever belief. Sorry for going on a tangent

6. Dec 20, 2017 #26

Tracii

Tracii

Tracii

I just don't want to view all the hate on FB to be honest.
    I don't care what anyone believes in as far as religion or political affiliation you are free to believe what you want but don't get mad at me if I don't agree with you.
    I don't have to agree with you and you need to understand that.
    I don't like to argue with people over petty things like that.I would rather be friends.