Loopy's Lusciously Lavish Lair

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by loopytheone, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Mar 4, 2019 #61

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

2. Mar 7, 2019 #62

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

So, Meg is going for an operation on tuesday to remove one of her lumps that is causing her pain; wish her luck!

meg snooze2.jpg

Also, for those of you that follow dog showing, you might be aware that Crufts is on currently. They have a special competition called the Vulnerable Breed competition where the top winning dog from each vulnerable (rare) breed gets to compete. The past five or so years, we have been represented by Barney, the grandson on my girl Luna and daddy of our current doggo Kiki. Well, it finally happened, for the first time ever a Skye has won the Vulnerable Breeds class!!! I'm so excited I could burst! <3 Barney and his sister Rosie were the only grandpups of my Luna and I have always viewed them as one of the family. I've known them both since they were tiny lil worms and watched them grow up and win everything. For added excitement, it is Barney and Rosie's birthday today too! <3 Happy birthday to the terrible twins! <3

Keep your eyes open on Crufts coverage for Barney's beautiful face, he will be competing in the breed classes on Saturday and we will, of course, be there to cheer him on!

barney.jpg

3. Mar 7, 2019 #63

ODFFA

ODFFA

ODFFA

Look at those two cuties! Wishing them both luck <3

loopytheone likes this.
  4. Mar 7, 2019 #64

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

5. Mar 12, 2019 #65

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

It's been an interesting few days.

Finally got to meet baby Baylie (Barney's daughter/Kiki's sister/Luna's great-granddaughter) at Crufts and she won Best of Breed and represented the breed in the group stage, at only 15 months of age. Very impressive! She's the first Skye I know of to get a Junior Warrant as well. Barney also got RCC. I got to see lots of other Luna-lings too, including Rosie (lovely as always), Feebee and a mysterious litter sibling of Baylie that I don't know the pet name of. I also got to meet Lucy, Kiki's younger sister, who looks and acts like Luna/Rosie and slipped her lead and escaped from the ring twice! :p Bobby, Kiki's litter mate, should have been there too but he went in for a routine kidney scan the week before and they shaved half his fur off! I did get to see his owner's other baby, Evie, who will eventually be Bobby's girlfriend.

After my sister got home from Crufts, Freedom slipped through the baby gate into the room where Kiki is and she jumped on him and attacked him. My mum and sister managed to force them apart, but Free was fighting for his life and bit both of them in the panic. Freedom himself has some nasty damage to him, with a puncture wound in his mouth, above his eye and his neck, and a lot of soft tissue damage to the ear, neck, face and shoulder. My sister only got one puncture wound on her wrist (she was wearing a metal watch, thankfully) but my mum got caught pretty badly. It was only one bite, but she wouldn't treat it and she lost a lot of blood and it got very infected. She has been in the hospital for the last few days and they have had to cut open her wounds to remove the dead/infected tissue and clean it. She seems to have avoided bone or tendon damage, the infection was the real problem. Hopefully tomorrow or the day after she should be able to come home.

We've decided not to breed with Kiki after all. We were going to, this season, but... she attacked Free for no reason. He didn't even see her and without warning, she launched herself on his neck and started shaking. We had to prize her jaws apart and Free is an old boy, he can't defend himself. He even wet himself, poor boy. That kind of violence with no reason or warning... we love Kiki, but that's not the temperament we want passing down in the breed.

Also, today, Meg went in for an operation to remove her lump. I'm still waiting to hear if she is okay, hopefully I will get a call soon.

squeezablysoft likes this.
  6. Mar 12, 2019 #66

Starling

Starling

Starling

Oh no, I’m so sorry all this is going on! It’s a lot to deal with. Sending good thoughts.

loopytheone likes this.
  7. Mar 12, 2019 #67

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Update: Meg the Smeg is home and doing well! Her operation went well and she is bright and active. She's been eating and even done a little zoom around the cage. I'm so so so happy and relieved!

DragonFly, squeezablysoft and Jay78 like this.
  8. Mar 13, 2019 #68

lille

lille

lille

Oh wow! That is a lot going on in one short period of time. I’m glad to hear that Megan is doing well and I’m sorry about Kiki and Free. It’s a hard decision to not breed a gorgeous dog especially in a rare breed, but temperament is paramount and it sounds like you are doing the best thing for the dogs. I would love to get more involved in Boston’s but I don’t know if I will ever be brave enough to breed.

loopytheone likes this.
  9. Mar 14, 2019 #69

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

It has been pretty crazy. We are all really disappointed about not breeding with Kiki, because this was going to be our last litter in the breed, as my sister wants to look at another breed and I don't have the funds to own dogs/do dog showing. But I couldn't willingly breed puppies with unpredictable temperaments like that. Kiki will be spayed after this season coming up.

Breeding is amazing, but it is hard work. It's so much harder than you imagine to let the puppies go, because you fall in love with all of them. It's a very weird feeling that of the only litter I bred, only one of them is still alive now and he's very old. I watched those babies be born, grow up, have babies of their own, have grandbabies, get old, get sick and pass away. I cried over every one of them when I heard and tried to stay in touch with all the owners. I still advise some of them on how to handle their new dogs. It's an amazing feeling though, watching them go out and live their lives, and knowing a part of your dog is out there doing you proud.

As it happens, Free is the one from that litter that is still alive, so Kiki couldn't have picked a worse target if she tried. Trying to seriously injure Freedom is an automatic 'no' on breeding from all 3 of us.

10. Apr 29, 2019 #70

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

So, my sister judged the Skye Terrier open show for the first time last weekend, which was amazing. Got to see all my friends and their doggos and got to be treated first class as part of the judges party. Also managed to sit through an AGM without getting stressed and leaving half way through, for once.

My mum also got her guinea pig, Rusty, home from the farm and he's doing well.

You may notice my tone is a little flat and I've not been around much the last few days. Freedom, our old boy, may have to be put to sleep tomorrow. He's had congestive heart failure for years but these last couple of months it has been getting worse and worse, especially with the fluid build up. This morning I got a phonecall telling me to get dressed because my family were taking Free to the vets, expecting him to be put to sleep. He can't really breathe, and he's coughing up a lot of clear liquid from his lungs, as well as throwing up anything we try and feed him. This morning he went to the toilet and just sat down and couldn't get back up again.

The vet has quadrupled his water tablets to try and get some of the water off his lungs and abdominal cavity. He says that by tomorrow morning Free will either be feeling a lot better, or it wont have worked and there will be nothing else to try. I'm honestly surprised the vet didn't put him to sleep this morning, he was so sick, but we will see what happens. He still managed to sit up and give me a kiss when I got in the car this morning and I bought him some cake. We lay together for a few hours today, his temperature control is too messed up to sit with people but he appreciated the company. We will have to see what tomorrow brings.

11. Apr 30, 2019 #71

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

Sending good thoughts your way.

12. Apr 30, 2019 #72

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

Loopy,
    My heart is with you. Loosing an animal is the same as loosing a human.

My wife and I have a 12yo terrier mix. Had her since she was a bit too young to leave her mama. She is healthy now. But when she does go.....I tear up imagining the pain that we will feel.

Stay strong for Freedom and know that he loves you.

13. Apr 30, 2019 #73

ODFFA

ODFFA

ODFFA

I'll be thinking of you today, Loops <3

14. Apr 30, 2019 #74

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Thank you everybody.

Freedom is still with us today. There was no improvement over night, but this morning he coughed up a lot of a glue-like substance from his lungs and felt a bit better. He did a roll on the sofa and barked for food and wasn't afraid to be on his own anymore. It's enough of an improvement to justify keeping him alive a few more days to see if he picks up more. His usual heart rate at rest is 60-80 bpm but right now it is 100, and very weak. His breathing is 30 pm rather than 20 as well, and he is still coughing, still pale and still sleeping constantly/struggling to move. He could very easily crash again with no warning.

The next couple of days will be important. Either he will continue to improve and we look into managing the water tablet dose, or he doesn't improve. If he doesn't improve further, we will have him put to sleep whilst he is still somewhat happy and stable. He was so frightened on monday when he was that ill and he's so tired. I love him so much, I don't ever want to go through that with him again.

wrenchboy likes this.
  15. Apr 30, 2019 #75

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

My heart and best wishes going out to you and Freedom. It is so hard.

loopytheone likes this.
  16. May 1, 2019 #76

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Freedom died today.

I've had to stay strong for my sister, who is his owner, but now I'm back home on my own my heart is broken. I loved him so, so much.

17. May 1, 2019 #77

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

(((you)))

18. May 1, 2019 #78

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

19. May 1, 2019 #79

Shh! Don’t tell!