Losing weight

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ruffie

Is it just me or do people find that when people lose "too much weight" they do not look attractive anymore? I was thinking that when watching a segment on TV with the Biggest Loser winner ths year. I remember tunng in here and there and seeing her losing weight part of the way through and she did look good at that point, a little more shape to her body curves, heather glow about her and started to see some muscle. However looking at her now I just say where did that cute girl go? Is it perhaps my own ownership of my fat body that makes me think she needed a bit more meat on her bones? We have seen it with many famous folk as well who I thought looked better mid way through the process. Yet I do think that there are many beautiful thin women too. NOt really sure why I make that judgement, whats your take?
Ruth

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Lifetime Supporting Member
DM Supporter
It depends, but for me it can go both ways. I've seen people put on weight whom might not appeal to me as much as before, and vice versa. I think it has a lot to do with what I perceive as natural and non.

And what Soleil said is a good point too.

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
I agree Ruffie. Not everyone looks better fat, not everyone looks better thin. I know the ranks will march in here with the "we shouldn't comment on anyone's looks" comments, but the woman is on a TV show about how she looks, she's put herself in that place.

So yeah, I agree, she was really cute, but her mouth now... it's HUGE, she looks funny. I think she was cuter heavier. It's not all people, and I certainly see plenty of attractive thin people.

I sort of see it like this... freeing yourself to find fat attractive (ever) means that you can honestly judge if someone looks improved or not by loss or gain. Yeah, it's superficial to be summing people up that way... but hey, part of life. I'm not saying the "Loser" is now worthless or less nice or anything, but yeah... I'll agree with you, I think she looked better bigger.

And yes, I know she feels better now, and I'm happy for her... this is a completely different issue.

soleil3313

Just keep swimming.......
I think that's a valid point Ruth, but imo, it's all about self esteem. If you are comfortable with your fat, as both you and I are, then we're happy, but if you feel horrible about yourself and feel like you need to lose weight to feel good about yourself, then by all means do it. You have to feel comfortable in your own skin regardless of weight.....something I've struggled with FOREVER! And I'm sure many of us have.

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
I suppose it all centers around how you feel about yourself. There are people who see me and think I look terrible. Personally I feel that once you pass a certain point weight wise you've stretched your skin to a point of no return. Dramatic weightloss would not look good but there are people who don't feel that way at all. They love the way they look now and prefer it to being fat. In the end what I think doesn't matter, it's what they think and what is best for them all around. But in answer to your question, yes. I do feel there are people who look worse after weight loss. That doesn't mean they shouldn't do it though if they can do it in a healthy way.

And don't even get me started talking about Biggest Loser and the way they get these people to lose. :mad:

bbwlibrarian

possibly revolutionary
When reading this all I could think of was Star Jones:eek:.
Ohh yeah. She REALLY aged whenever she lost all of her weight (which she finally admits was a product of WLS, NOT magical will-power, or diet and exercise). She was a pretty lady before she lost the pounds, but now she looks just...shrunken... in a lot of ways, flattering and non.

I caught a bit on Comedy Central one night (by a comedian whose name currently escapes me) about how a lot of people in 'After' shots on weight-loss product advertisements simply look like starved fatties, or horrible shadows of their former selves, i.e. they look unnaturally thin for their body frame. Since this comedian was, as I recall, average-sized, I don't think the opinion is exclusive to those who are currently overweight and feel they look better this way.

Shosh

Susannah
I suppose it all centers around how you feel about yourself. There are people who see me and think I look terrible. Personally I feel that once you pass a certain point weight wise you've stretched your skin to a point of no return. Dramatic weightloss would not look good but there are people who don't feel that way at all. They love the way they look now and prefer it to being fat. In the end what I think doesn't matter, it's what they think and what is best for them all around. But in answer to your question, yes. I do feel there are people who look worse after weight loss. That doesn't mean they shouldn't do it though if they can do it in a healthy way.

And don't even get me started talking about Biggest Loser and the way they get these people to lose. :mad:

I think the weight loss regime and methods used by programs like The Biggest Loser are downright dangerous. I hate that show.:mad:

ThikJerseyChik

Sweet & Salty ;)
I look the best at around 180. A few years back I went from 260 to 150 in less than a year and everything just hung...my face looked very drawn...it was too much too fast and it showed. I put back half of it and looked much healthier.

Chimpi

into the shining sun
One of my co-workers (my supervisor, actually...) watches The Biggest Loser regularly and comments on how great and wonderful the contestants do on the show. He also tends to comment on how much more attractive - or "hotter" - certain female contestants become through their weight loss.
My personal opinion is that he's entitled to that opinion, but attraction (or being attractive) is not a universal term. It means something different to every person. Obviously groups of people will have very similar tastes when it comes to someone appearing to be attractive. However, I do not personally think that people can lose or gain attractiveness due to weight loss or weight gain (or any other facet of body modification or change). I might have my personal opinion of that person, but some one else may find a person attractive even after I am no longer as physically attracted to them as before (or vice versa).
One persons trash is another persons treasure.
I generally feel that I have some what of an extremist view on such things, but I'm aware that it's just different than quite a few other people. I have no idea who we're referring to on The Biggest Loser, but I do also agree with Lilly with "I suppose it all centers around how you feel about yourself." Not an absolute, but a large portion, methinks.
In example, ThikJerseyChik may think she's most attractive at 180 pounds, but other people might not think the same thing. It's relative to the viewer.

/My opinion

KHayes666

Go away
Is it just me or do people find that when people lose "too much weight" they do not look attractive anymore? I was thinking that when watching a segment on TV with the Biggest Loser winner ths year. I remember tunng in here and there and seeing her losing weight part of the way through and she did look good at that point, a little more shape to her body curves, heather glow about her and started to see some muscle. However looking at her now I just say where did that cute girl go? Is it perhaps my own ownership of my fat body that makes me think she needed a bit more meat on her bones? We have seen it with many famous folk as well who I thought looked better mid way through the process. Yet I do think that there are many beautiful thin women too. NOt really sure why I make that judgement, whats your take?
Ruth
The problem is if someone loses a vast ammount of weight in a short period of time, their skin hangs and it doesn't look good at all. The ones that take time to do it are the ones that look good.

JayInBuff

Keyser Soze
Is it just me or do people find that when people lose "too much weight" they do not look attractive anymore?
I watch "Biggest Loser" and definitely agree. The one girl Ally was cute at her original weight and was still cute until a certain point and started looking really sickly. Another girl, Brittney was really pretty at first and when she left her face was so bony and angular looking. I think most of the men look good. Of course I find big women sexy so what the hell do I know.

QuantumXL

Well, Weight loss is a dependence on who it is. A love of peeps just do not look good at all, but some do. Star Jones for example. lol i'll let you guys stir up on that.

RevolOggerp

It depends, but for me it can go both ways. I've seen people put on weight whom might not appeal to me as much as before, and vice versa. I think it has a lot to do with what I perceive as natural and non.

And what Soleil said is a good point too.
I agree. I've seen it on people.

I've known a lot of people who were a few pounds overweight, but they would work their butts off that they are a lot of pounds underweight. Now, they're skinny and bony. Sometimes, I'm afraid to hug them with fear that I might snap them in half. *shudders*

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene
Ohh yeah. She REALLY aged whenever she lost all of her weight (which she finally admits was a product of WLS, NOT magical will-power, or diet and exercise). She was a pretty lady before she lost the pounds, but now she looks just...shrunken... in a lot of ways, flattering and non.

Yeah, I always thought Starr Jones was amazingly beautiful before- a true role model of how attractive bigger women can be. Now, she doesn't show anything of her former self, not to me anyway.

ksandru

"PHAT" Not "Fat", Got It?
When reading this all I could think of was Star Jones:eek:.
You read my mind!

When she was fat, she was GORGEOUS!!!! But WLS has made her look like she has been smoking crack as a diet supplement. I don't mean to be so crass, but I think one can lose too much weight.

Waxwing

Reckless Hero
I agree Ruffie. Not everyone looks better fat, not everyone looks better thin. I know the ranks will march in here with the "we shouldn't comment on anyone's looks" comments, but the woman is on a TV show about how she looks, she's put herself in that place.

So yeah, I agree, she was really cute, but her mouth now... it's HUGE, she looks funny. I think she was cuter heavier. It's not all people, and I certainly see plenty of attractive thin people.
I see that often, and have the same reluctance to say that what someone else chooses to do with their body is unattractive...but.

In a way it's like breast implants. Some people want large breasts so badly that they don't stop to think about if their bodies will look good with larger breasts. Some people are just more beautiful with more weight.

Because society is so fixated on thin=better, I feel like nobody ever says, "hey, now that you're thinner, you look a little goofy."

olwen

Disco Bear
I think it depends on how healthy the person is after the weight loss or weight gain. Bad health shows. Like I think of Al Rocker, Starr Jones, Roseanne, that chick from Cheers whose name i can't remember, Ricky Lake, and to some extent Queen Latifa. I knew a girl in college (my lab partner) who lost a lot of weight really quickly, and I could tell immediately because her skin was drawn, dry, and she looked way older than she actually was. She just wasn't taking care of herself. Those people all look weird to me after the extreme weight loss. Their faces have weird angles and the rest of them looks like a deflated sac, and they look drier and paler/grayer. Not attractive. I wonder if they are taking their vitamins and doing all the good stuff they should. I'm sure the same can be said for the other way around tho I can't think of any specific examples.

That show made me angry after it first aired, so I make it a point not to watch the biggest looser.

Latest posts