Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MisticalMisty

Ok everyone. I am having people over Thursday for dinner. On the menu:

Fried chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Biscuits

and the one thing I've never made..... Mac n Cheese.

I need your help. I need a really good, tried and tested recipe for baked Mac n Cheese. PLEASE HELP!

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I'm not really a recipe person when it comes to cooking so I just boil whatever pasta I am using and drain. Use empty the pot that the pasta was cooked in (it's still warm) and toss in some butter, two packages of whatever shredded cheese you want to use (or the equivalent if you are using a block of cheese-but obviously shred it first) and a little milk and flour - stir over a low heat until it's melted , and you have to constantly stir otherwise it burns, and then toss in the pasta and mix it all up.

Then you can bake it with breadcrumbs on top or something if you want, but not necessary.

intraultra

big monster lover
Then you can bake it with breadcrumbs on top or something if you want, but not necessary.
I disagree, the breadcrumbs are totally necessary! ;) They are my favorite part about 'homemade' mac and cheese...though I know some people don't care for the breadcrumbs on top.

toni

In the know

Fried chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Biscuits

I need your help. I need a really good, tried and tested recipe for baked Mac n Cheese. PLEASE HELP!
OMG, that is an awesome menu. Can I come? PLEASE?!?!? LOL

I bake mine. I boil a box of elbows. I get two lbs of sliced yellow cheese. I put a bit of the elbows in the pan and start layering it like lasagna. Elbows, butter, cheese, milk...REPEAT...It comes out very cheesey like that. When I am done layering I add a bit more milk. I set the oven for a while...wait till it starts bubbling then I put it under the broiler to get the top browned.
It's pretty good. Baked but not dry.

Thanks for the craving! I know what I am eating for dinner tonight. :eat2:

GOOD LUCK!

bigsexy920

Ok I'll be good.
WHAT no Veggies ????

the menu sounds good though.

I'm not mac and cheese person - but I find that the BEST mac and cheese is done with a blonde rue than milk then slowly adding your cheese of choice - I like a mixture of cheedar and american Ive never had bacon in it but I bet that would be good - and I do like breadcrumbs and shredded cheese on top.

I SO want mac and cheese now

sugar and spice

Hi here is a recipe I saw on the food network's new show Down Home With The Neely's
They made a mac n cheese that looked AWESOME! I hope this helps and you decide to try it. Let me know if it turns out as good as it looked:eat2: on the show if you do, good luck with the dinner, Fran
Neely's Mac n Cheese
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk, warm
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Dash salt and freshly ground black pepper
Dash hot sauce
Dash Worcestershire sauce
3 cups shredded Cheddar
1 pound cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente(you could use elbow macaroni)
1 cup crushed potato chips
5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, for topping

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a boil, continue to whisk constantly. The mixture will thicken as the heat increases. Continue to stir while adding
the dry mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Stir in the 3 cups of Cheddar until it melts.

Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and add to a 3 quart casserole dish.

Sprinkle the chips, bacon and Parmesan on top and bake for 35 minutes.

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

I miss Mac and Cheese!! They have gooey stuff in a can here, but not the yummy boxed stuff with orange cheese powder...yummy!!!

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I disagree, the breadcrumbs are totally necessary! ;) They are my favorite part about 'homemade' mac and cheese...though I know some people don't care for the breadcrumbs on top.
LOL I almost always bake mine with a breadcrumb/bacon topping, but sometimes it's nice to have it gooey right off the stove :eat1:

Miss Vickie

Mmmmm. That recipe with the bacon sounds good. Mine is much more pedestrian. Here's how I do it and get raves from my kids, their friends, my friends, etc. It's not so much a recipe as a "how to".

Preheat your oven to 375.

Boil a pound of whatever kind of cool noodle shape you can find. Anything will work, even ol' boring elbow macaroni. Then, while it's cooking, make a basic white sauce. Here's the basic white sauce recipe I got from an older cousin when I was 12. My mom had just died and no one had showed me how to cook; it's the first thing I learned to make on my own.

Melt 2 tbs butter in a sauce pan on med/high heat and add 4 tablespoons of flour to make a roux. Once it's mixed up (it'll be a semi solid lump), start adding the milk a little bit at a time, up to about 2 cups. After each addition, use a whisk to incorporate it and keep stirring so it doesn't burn (all this is done on med/high heat).

Add some paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder (one of the few things I use garlic powder in), and maybe some mustard powder if you have it. I love the color the paprika gives it.

Once the sauce is thickened, add about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese (medium or sharp, or a mix of both is good, but it must be REAL cheese, not Velveeta or Kraft singles or anything like that). Mix it in, stir until it melts, and turn the heat off. By now the noodles should be done and drained in a colander.

Pour noodles into an oblong or rectangular pan and pour the sauce over it, being sure to get all of it. Then take another cup (or so) of shredded cheese and spread it over the top. Don't mix it in, because this forms that nice, crispy crust some of us just love. Sprinkle paprika and pepper on top. Leave it uncovered

Pop into a 375 degree oven 'till it's bubbly and hot and the top is crispy but not too brown.

Dig in!

Side note about this white sauce: It can be used for most anything. For Alfredo sauce, add a splash of white wine and add Parmesan cheese instead of cheddar, skip the paprika, and maybe add more pepper. Then toss it with fettucini and sprinkle with more cheese and serve with sliced sauteed or grilled chicken and veggies.

RevolOggerp

I just buy a box of macaroni and a box of Velveeta cheese.

I boil the water and cook the macaroni. While that's cooking, I cut the cheese up. (Who cut the cheese!?) I then microwave the cheese a bit to soften it up. When both are ready, I skim the water out and pour the cheese on top. Then stir gently. :)

NancyGirl74

Misty, I made this for a dinner gathering last night.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_109047,00.html

I used thin sliced bacon instead of thick (because that's what I had) and I didn't make my own bread crumbs. Store bought are good enough for me. The Gruyere cheese is pricey but the whole thing was very tasty. My guests seemed to really like it and that's all that mattered to me. I also made Paula Deen's fried pork chops (amazing!), Robert Irvine's cheesy mashed potatoes, Bobby Flay's peas along with the Ina Garten mac & cheese. (Yeah, I've been on a foodnetwork kick). Everything turned out really well, if I do say so myself.:D

Anyway, I hope your dinner goes well. The menu sounds yumtastic! :happy:

PS...the mac & cheese recipe is for only two servings. I tripled the ingredients and had more than enough for five people.

DeniseW

Fat don't crack!!
If you ever want something really easy, I have a recipe for crockpot mac and cheese...

Cook the macaroni (1lb elbows is what I usually use) as directed. Drain and add to crock pot.

Add 12 oz can evaporated milk and 3 cups milk to crockpot.

Now, for the cheese, I cube 1 lb Velveeta, then shred 8 oz cheddar, 4 oz montery jack and 4 oz pepper jack. The recipe calls for 2 lbs cheese, so I mix it up a bit - too much pepper jack is awfully spicy!! ;-)

Occasionally, I shred in a bit of onion also....if I have it available...just for a bit of extra flavor.

Stir well, and cook on low for 3 hours.

BubbleButtBabe

No one cares anyway

Fried chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Biscuits

You are going to fry chicken?? Good luck to you Sisa I hope it turns out fantastic..

Of course you know I don't have a recipe for mac and cheese since I don't like it..I do need to add,umm why not some veggies to?

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
oh man reading all this mac n cheese stuff makes me want to make some of the recipes! My mouth is watering!

MisticalMisty

You are going to fry chicken?? Good luck to you Sisa I hope it turns out fantastic..

Of course you know I don't have a recipe for mac and cheese since I don't like it..I do need to add,umm why not some veggies to?
HEY..I've fried chicken before..lol..you know that.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I actually had to cancel the dinner tonight. We moved it to last night and just ordered pizza. I am however filing the recipes for further use.

As far as veggies..I didn't want no stinking veggies..LOL

GWARrior

im freakin DYING for mac n'cheese!!!!!!!!! The Blue Box is always good enough for me... but homemade is so tasty!

BubbleButtBabe

No one cares anyway
Pizza? Good grief couldn't you have done something better? LMAO

So you can fry chicken huh? Next time you are home guess what I am going to want..<laughs>

Latest posts