Make ahead dishes for xmas

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by Ruffie, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1

Ruffie

Ruffie

Ruffie

I am having my extended family(adopted kids and close friends) for an Early Christmas dinner so I can spend time with them as they have their own families to spend time with over the holidays.
    I was wondering if anyone has any good make ahead sides that would allow me to visit with my guests a bit before dinner. Hate that rushed feeling to get everything on the table while its hot and having the oven full and the burners all going. I am looking for recipes that are favorites in your family before I do a general web search.

2. Nov 21, 2009 #2

JeanC

JeanC

JeanC

Fat chick with a gun

I usually make double of things like the sweet potatoes, pies and such and freeze. I usually make a big batch of mashed potatoes and freeze. Trick with mashed potatoes is to add some cream cheese, makes it nicer when you reheat them and less runny.

Pumpkin pies I freeze before baking and then when dinner comes out of the oven, I toss in a frozen pie and bake.

3. Nov 22, 2009 #3

jamie

jamie

jamie

...tickled...

Does anyone know if you can make broccoli casserole ahead (and not add the crackers on top)?

4. Nov 25, 2009 #4

minerva

minerva

minerva

You can make pretty much any casserole a day or two ahead and refrigerate it (prior to putting on your crunchy/cheesy/whatever topping.) I would't go much (any) longer than that, or it won't be fresh, but it won't hurt the casserole to sit in the fridge (tightly covered) for a day or even the freezer (really tightly covered) for a bit longer.

Ruffie, most of your casseroles can be made ahead. I'm sure you know that your cranberries (sauce/relish) can also be done ahead. I've done whipped sweet potatoes ahead pretty easily - I like this recipe for a sweet potato-parsnip puree. The parsnips are a great apple-y compliment to the sweet potatoes, and it's really easy.

If your guests are willing to be a bit non-traditional with their sweet potatoes, I also really like this sweet potato salad with orange-maple dressing. I use dried cranberries instead of raisins in the salad.

I hope that helps!

5. Nov 25, 2009 #5

MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty

If you make anything with green onions...omit them until you're ready to cook. They emit some grossness while in the freezer and will ruin anything you make!

Ruffie, I bet you could make my stuffed mushrooms and then flash freeze them and heat them up when ready.

Let me know if you need the recipe!

OH! and twice baked potatoes would freeze great. Check recipezaar.com or thepioneerwoman.com for great recipes!