Marianne

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

RevolOggerp

What I meant was that a lot of stores have up to size 14 and Lane Bryant have 14 and up... but this store seemed to have both.

Suze

Too Vanilla For You
Me either. But then, I doubt that many here at Dimensions would be able to shop there.

:confused:
Actually, my impression is that it's plenty of girls on this board who would be able to shop there. I know that a lot of the girls that post on the clothing/fashion board are in the size range 18/20 and 22/24
I guess it's not the majority but it could be useful to some. I would love to hear more about this shop.

Tina

Older and wiser now
I understand what you're saying (Fashion Bug has that kind of range of size, too, though they go even bigger), but the whole "everyone" statement just, for me, harkens back to the One Size Fits All lie.

Suze

Too Vanilla For You
I understand what you're saying (Fashion Bug has that kind of range of size, too, though they go even bigger), but the whole "everyone" statement just, for me, harkens back to the One Size Fits All lie.
I agree.
That wasen't maybe the best way to put it.
(though I doubt she ment it that way)

ashmamma84

Om Namah Shivayah
I've heard of this store...some of my friends (that live on the west coast) shop here...I don't think Chicago has one, else I'd want to take a peak at what they have to offer.

Sandie S-R

Actually, my impression is that it's plenty of girls on this board who would be able to shop there. I know that a lot of the girls that post on the clothing/fashion board are in the size range 18/20 and 22/24
I guess it's not the majority but it could be useful to some. I would love to hear more about this shop.
Me either. But then, I doubt that many here at Dimensions would be able to shop there.

:confused:
I agree.
That wasen't maybe the best way to put it.
(though I doubt she ment it that way)
Don't presume to know what I was thinking Susie.

Like Tina stated the one store for everyone mentality doesn't work well. While they may carry some things in sizes 16-24, keep in mind that they cater to the size 4-14. Their dressing rooms will likely be smaller the ailes narrower, and the sales help not plus sized. That isn't how I would choose to shop but then to each his own.

And while yes there are a plenty of 18-24 size women here, there are also a lot of size 26 and above that post here, and they are complete excluded at the store.

Including a few plus sizes into a regular clothing stores just perpetuates the mentality that it's OK to be fat, but not too fat. So, while it's nice that Marianne's has thrown us fat girls a bone, I'll stick to the stores that truly cater to women my size. I would rather give my money to someone who really "gets it".

Suze

Too Vanilla For You
Don't presume to know what I was thinking Susie.
I’m not presuming anything, I just felt that you all was sort of attacking her for not coming up with a better store option or whatever.
Like Tina stated the one store for everyone mentality doesn't work well. While they may carry some things in sizes 16-24, keep in mind that they cater to the size 4-14. Their dressing rooms will likely be smaller the ailes narrower, and the sales help not plus sized. That isn't how I would choose to shop but then to each his own.
I guess that’s differs from store to store...
Anyways I’m not as fortunate to have stores that carry my size, at all. The net is basically all I got, if I don’t want to look like a frumpy housewife. While I can get some clothes in regular stores, I have to search a long and hard time before I find something in a size 14/16 that would possible fit/look ok. Most of the time it doesn’t, so I end up waiting anxiously till my next package arrives.
I would be thrilled to be able to shop in a store like “Marianne” even if I had to do it together with the thinner girls.

And while yes there are a plenty of 18-24 size women here, there are also a lot of size 26 and above that post here, and they are complete excluded at the store.
I get that, but it should be allowed to post about stores as “Marianne” as well. The more the merrier imo.

Including a few plus sizes into a regular clothing stores just perpetuates the mentality that it's OK to be fat, but not too fat. So, while it's nice that Marianne's has thrown us fat girls a bone, I'll stick to the stores that truly cater to women my size. I would rather give my money to someone who really "gets it".
I agree. I don’t like that mentality either. But at the same time I think it’s nice to be able to shop in the same store as most of your other friends do. Most of my friends are definetely skinny minnies:p

Peace? :happy:

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
I’m not presuming anything, I just felt that you all was sort of attacking her for not coming up with a better store option or whatever.
No... everyone jumped at the suggestion that this was a store for "everyone" when clearly it excluded MANY of us here. There have been loads of threads about designers/manufacturers who only go up to size 24 here that were not met with any hostility whatsoever (longing actually on my part). That a store should carry sizes 4-24 is no big deal at all. Every quality department store has been doing that forever.

Nordstrom's carrying sizes 32-40? Now that would be a story.

cherylharrell

Always Mikes Big Girl
I've had a clothing addiction for yrs lol. That sounds neat sizes 4-24 but is everything in the plus as well as skinny or do they just have a seperate plus section. & Where are they located? Just wondering. :) A lot of the places that carry plus as well as skinny have different styles in the plus than they do in the skinny & we want to wear what the skinny people do. I may be fat but I deserve fashion & style too...

mpls_girl26

I've had a clothing addiction for yrs lol. That sounds neat sizes 4-24 but is everything in the plus as well as skinny or do they just have a seperate plus section. & Where are they located? Just wondering. :) A lot of the places that carry plus as well as skinny have different styles in the plus than they do in the skinny & we want to wear what the skinny people do. I may be fat but I deserve fashion & style too...
Now see, maybe I'm different than ladies here, but I don't necessarily want to wear what the "skinny people" do. It isn't necessarily flattering on my body, and quite honestly a lot of the trendy clothes I think are ridiculous and well, skinny people shouldn't be wearing them either.

My philosophy, just because they make it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it.

I just want clothes that take into consideration that lift of a shirt from my boobs and belly.....make it long enough damnit! And - I don't need 5 lbs of sequins on and around my chest. The girls attract attention on their own just fine. Just my thoughts.

As for this store - I don't see a problem with a store catering from 4-24. There are tons of stores like that. For example, Dress Barn (which I find to be a horrific name for a clothing store and am repulsed anytime I see it). Would I love to see them extend their sizes - absolutely because I passes up 24 years ago. Oh well.

NancyGirl74

Has anyone tried this store? I don't know if it's new, but it's new to me.

The sign said "Sizes 4 - 24".

So, they've got clothes for everyone.
I'll answer the actual question first...No, I haven't shopped there but it's nice to know some stores are carrying bigger sizes. I'll have to keep my eye out for them.

As for the "for everyone" part, it is likely that their 24 is cut on the smaller side which is usually my experience when "normal size" clothing stores bring in the plus sizes. On the other hand, I've shopped at Dress Barn Women's which also only goes up to 24 and I've fit some of their stuff, mostly tops and dresses. Meanwhile, Lane Bryant's 26 is often too tight on me. *Shrug* Go figure. It all depends on the store and the sizing.

Thanks for the heads up on Marianne, Revol. :D

toni

In the know
Yes, I have window shopped at this store. They have a good selection but nothing my style. The prices are average. The store in my area is divided pretty equally plus/average sizes. I have also seen a number of bbw's working there. That is always a plus to me. :D

They are apart of a push for plus sized stores at the Jersey Garden Outlet mall. This time last year there were very few options for us plus size girls:doh:. However, my wish was granted there is quite a selection now. We have steve and barry's, deb, dress barn, the lane bryan outlet, Marianne's, Ashley Stewert and some other stores I forget the name of.

cherylharrell

Always Mikes Big Girl
I wonder if they have any stores anywhere else? I agree some stuff doesn't look good on us but I believe all styles should be made in plus sizes for those who want them. No one should ever have to suffer thru the pain I've been thru of wanting something so bad & it's not available in my size anywhere & then getting depressed over it. If I had a dollar for every time I saw something I really wanted that wasn't available in the plus sizes I'd be rich today. Stuff that would look good on us like flared jeans, it took yrs before they were available in my size & I had to wear straight leg jeans cuz they were the only kind available in plus sizes & not cuz I liked them. I wish they would make the stuff so the fit is geared to us & not just a copy of the skinny folks version in fit. I'm not much on Dress Barn cuz they have too much grandma clothes & are kinda pricey. Right now my fave stores are Deb (with plus sizes), Torrid, Dots, Lane Bryant (& their Outlet stores too), Avenue & the Woman Within, Roamans and Jessica London catalogs. Even in those I have to wade thru a ton of stuff I don't like or doesn't fit in order to get to the good stuff I like...

Latest posts