Quantcast

MeMe Roth's NAAOA-the antiNAAFA!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Zoom

Rogue
NAAO Website (first link) said:
NAAO Mission
Through education, legislation, and most importantly—parental action—National Action Against Obesity works independently and as a consultancy to reverse the obesity epidemic by eliminating ‘fake foods’ from the food supply, barring junk food from schools and eradicating Secondhand Obesity™ (obesity handed down from one generation to the next, as well as from citizen to citizen), while encouraging exercise across all ages. Success relies upon wholly re-imagining what the U.S. population considers “normal” food consumption and “normal” exercise. When the majority is overweight, America cannot be normal.
My Response Letter:

To Whom it May Concern,

I don't represent anyone but myself. However I am offended by your organization.

Not for the healthfulness that you wish to accomplish, but for the rights you will trample in order to accomplish them, and the discrimination that will be increased beyond all measure of human tolerance because of your accomplishments.

Here are my points that refute your mission statement:

1. The "education" that you describe is anti-fat propaganda and not entirely true.
2. Will you legislate what other people eat? This is a basic freedom we enjoy and will not give up. Other than that, what else could you legislate? Fatness itself? The right to be fat is also a basic freedom. Those whom God has ordained to be of differing size would object to this discrimination. And you should never fight what the Living God has decided.
3. There is no such thing as an "obesity epidemic". It is not a disease that spreads, despite what the medical-dietary industrial complex claims. Fat is a naturally occuring thing in the human body.
4. If a person can eat it and digest it, it is a food. Therefore, there is no such thing as a "fake food".
5. I am not throwing it away; therefore it cannot be called JUNK food. I prefer "TASTY" food, or entertainment food. As to the lack of health benefits of it, so what? I eat healthy meals too.
6. You are not allowed to bar "junk" food from schools. You DO NOT HAVE THAT RIGHT. Kids have the right to eat what they want if their parents allow. I know I did. If I had a child, I'd let him or her eat what he/she wants.
7. I see you have trademarked "Secondhand Obesity". How about I trademark something? How about Secondhand Brainwashing? Secondhand Medical Opinions Shoved Down Our Throats? I don't think they have the same ring to them, except the ring of truth.
8. How dare you decide for us what constitutes NORMAL!

As I said before, I am all for healthiness. But not a narrow-minded view of healthiness that means changing a majority of the populace which ARE NOT SICK.

The Hippocratic Oath starts, "FIRST, DO NO HARM." I wish it continued, "DO NOT POLITICIZE EITHER."

This open letter is posted on the forums at Dimensions Magazine, which is part of the Size Acceptance movement.

I wish you good day and to be more accepting of other people's size.

ERIC DRAVES

CEO, Destructosoft

zoom98@mindspring.com

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
MemeRoth is going to look good on my wall!!! Kidding! Though she will be part of the topic of my next blogs. Plus I'm sending a letter too. :p
Zoom is going to look good as an ally.. oh wait.. he is an ally! He kicks ass too! :D

T_Devil

A Happy Disaster
*Shrugs*
Same shit as in grade school. But now the assholes have all grown up. Some things never change. And people wonder why I gleefully welcome the end of humanity.

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
*Shrugs*
Same shit as in grade school. But now the assholes have all grown up. Some things never change. And people wonder why I gleefully welcome the end of humanity.
Oohhh.. I love that smiley. :D
It goes well with this thread. *Sinister Laugh* Hehehhheheheheehheheh....

Zoom

Rogue
MeMe emailed me back this morning. She rambled on and on about American Idol, as if that had something to do with anything I wrote.

I will spare you much of her email, but here's a quote which shows some of the illogic gracing my monitor screen:
For the record... I was invited onto news shows to discuss child obesity and the American Idol show. I have only ever used the words "tragedy" or "nightmare" to describe America's child obesity epidemic, not a person, and not a performer on American Idol. Nor have I used the word "obese" to describe Jordin Sparks. Nor have I said her size should prevent her from winning. I stand 100% behind only the statements I made, nothing scripted to introduce any interview.
So now she is changing her position to just be about child "obesity"?

My response:

Thank you for the reply, which I was surprised to receive from someone already famous (or infamous... I noticed on YouTube a lot of people are saying bad things about you).

I didn't mention American Idol in my "complaint" email. In fact, I don't care what size anyone is who wins it. The show has always failed to get across the music aspect of music, and consistently pushed the beauty aspect. The problem is that good music itself is all the beauty I need of it.

Your usual defense, that fatness automatically means an increase in the risks of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. is of course well-intentioned, but you are following the results of studies commissioned by the medical-dietary industrial complex. None of them has been consistent and anything more than circumstantial evidence.

Diabetes is simply caused by too much sugar consumption creating an imbalance which the body cannot fight properly. The solution would be to cut down on foods with too much sugar (especially processed sugar). However, prevention of diabetes does not, and should NEVER mean destruction of one's freedom of choice to eat something that has sugar in it! Especially in school where there is a lot of stress and other difficulties.

Fatness (I never use the medical term "obesity") is being lumped in as part of the problem, when in fact the true culprit is much more complicated. Simple, easy steps to eliminate diabetes, heart disease, etc. simply do not exist.

It's like this: Suppose there was an increased amount of sickle-cell anemia going around in the African-American schoolkids. Would you label blackness an epidemic?

Anyway, you probably have a lot of other detractors to deal with, so I'll end this email now even though I wasn't finished taking your response apart.

Eric Draves

CEO. Destructosoft

LJ Rock

I'm not anti-war, I am pro-peace.

My question is: why do we need an anti-obesity committee? Wouldn't it much more useful to and effective to have a pro-health committee? If that's the goal that you're really looking for: people eating healthier foods and excersising more, living healthier lifestyles and such, why not just promote that? Focus on the positive aspects of what you hope to achieve, rather than the negative.

Coming out and saying that you are anti-anything immediately alienates certain people and creates conflict and animosity, which is usually not a good way to get your point across (especially when those people whom you are alienating are the people you are really trying to reach out to.) I checked out the NAAO web site breifly (it's not a very well put together site) and some of what I read does make sense: encouraging young people to eat healthier and be more physically active; there was one article that caught my eye about making women more aware about the benefits of breastfeeding their children... all good stuff, in my opinion. I just think they are really going about it all the wrong way.

Seems like they're really trying to go for the in-your-face, shock-value approach to informing people about these issues. This will inevitably backfire, I believe, because even though they are getting lots of air-time and exposure, they are really rubbing people the wrong way and I don't think that anyone (including people in the media) are taking them very seriously (particularly this MeMe character.)

When it comes right down to it, you really can't tell people how to live their lives. All you can do is provide information, give them the facts, and let them make up their own minds. I honestly think that most intelligent and reasonably thinking individuals will make the right choices for themselves and their families when educated properly. You don't need to bash people over the head or insult them in order to get your point across.

I am pro-fat, pro-health, and pro-people. :)

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
I'm not anti-war, I am pro-peace.

My question is: why do we need an anti-obesity committee? Wouldn't it much more useful to and effective to have a pro-health committee? If that's the goal that you're really looking for: people eating healthier foods and excersising more, living healthier lifestyles and such, why not just promote that? Focus on the positive aspects of what you hope to achieve, rather than the negative.

Coming out and saying that you are anti-anything immediately alienates certain people and creates conflict and animosity, which is usually not a good way to get your point across (especially when those people whom you are alienating are the people you are really trying to reach out to.) I checked out the NAAO web site breifly (it's not a very well put together site) and some of what I read does make sense: encouraging young people to eat healthier and be more physically active; there was one article that caught my eye about making women more aware about the benefits of breastfeeding their children... all good stuff, in my opinion. I just think they are really going about it all the wrong way.

Seems like they're really trying to go for the in-your-face, shock-value approach to informing people about these issues. This will inevitably backfire, I believe, because even though they are getting lots of air-time and exposure, they are really rubbing people the wrong way and I don't think that anyone (including people in the media) are taking them very seriously (particularly this MeMe character.)

When it comes right down to it, you really can't tell people how to live their lives. All you can do is provide information, give them the facts, and let them make up their own minds. I honestly think that most intelligent and reasonably thinking individuals will make the right choices for themselves and their families when educated properly. You don't need to bash people over the head or insult them in order to get your point across.

I am pro-fat, pro-health, and pro-people. :)
I think we should still let her know we aren't falling for her gimmick. I'm sure she'll love to hear for someone whose half her age (Whose also thin [GASP BATMAN!!! He's not on my side?!?!?!?!?! :p ]) that isn't buying it. :D

Ann Coulter should take a shit on her for using her expression approach on a different topic. :p

No... but I actually agree that they should really rethink their startegy before doing anything major. I'm sure they think (Much like the rest of society) that the Fat Acceptance movement is totally about people not exercising and eating unhealthy... 'cuz that's what it somehow advocates. :p

LJ Rock

I think we should still let her know we aren't falling for her gimmick. I'm sure she'll love to hear for someone whose half her age (Whose also thin [GASP BATMAN!!! He's not on my side?!?!?!?!?! :p ]) that isn't buying it. :D

Ann Coulter should take a shit on her for using her expression approach on a different topic. :p

No... but I actually agree that they should really rethink their startegy before doing anything major. I'm sure they think (Much like the rest of society) that the Fat Acceptance movement is totally about people not exercising and eating unhealthy... 'cuz that's what it somehow advocates. :p
I agree, Jon. We should let them know. If these folks really are any kind of advocates, claiming to be looking out for people's best interest, then they should be interested in hearing what folks have to say about these issues. They should know that folks aren't just going to blindly buy into some propaganda campaign, and that if they want to meet any of their objectives they are going to have to step up their game a bit. This means actually listening to the views and needs of the people you are trying to "help" and not just preaching and patronizing.

Call me crazy, but it seems like ideally an organization like this should work in conjunction with the fat acceptance movement. This is to say that we should all accept the fact that we all as people come in different shapes and sizes, but that we all also have a common interest in living our lives to the fullest and making sound decisions in regards to our health and well being.

America never has been nor will it ever be a nation of super-fit hardbodies. It just ain't gonna happen! Can we get people to eat less junk food and more natural foods? Yes. Can we encourage people to be less sedentary and more physically active? Yes. Can we reduce the number of people suffering from ailments often associated with obesity such as stroke, high-blood pressure and diabetes? Absolutely. But it is preposterous to think that a group or organization is going to make all people conform to some standard of physical fitness or appearance (just the very sound of that sentence makes me think of Nazism! **shudders**)

The conduct of these people thus far is foolhardy at best. Coming on TV and attacking pop-culture figures like American Idol and Shrek is just pointless and futile. Once again, a case of good intentions placed in misguided efforts. I think these people need to be told what time it is and start being real about it.

T_Devil

A Happy Disaster
I think it'll be interesting to watch these people rub Americans the wrong way. It'll be interesting to see the cases of eating disorders and food related phobias go up in the next 10 years because of this colossal mistake. It's like watching a train wreck, You know it's awful and it's horrible, but you can't stop watching it.

People who go about doing things the wrong way are often oblivious to the long term fallout that is to come. People will reject it so much that they won't pay attention to it (such as me) or they will support the shock of it all and let it scare them into insanity. Now, I'm not saying my reaction is the best reaction, but I'm being honest about it.

I know the benefits of good health. I'll haul my mass down to the gym and lift some weights and swim a few laps. It's not to lose weight though. I LIKE THE WEIGHT!!! No, I exercise so I can keep a decent running cardiovascular system and develop stronger muscles to haul my mass around with.

I'm fat, but I WILL NOT be immobile.

Mathias

SAMCRO
Why doesnt she wake up and realize that its all of these stick thin models that making America resent that lifestyle? This shit will only backfire and blow up in there faces.

S

saucywench

*Shrugs*
Correction: The assholes have all gotten OLDer, not grown up--big difference.;)

CurvaceousBBWLover

Primordial
I can't wait to read them. I'm certain they will be very thoughtful and well-written as are all of your writings.

MemeRoth is going to look good on my wall!!! Kidding! Though she will be part of the topic of my next blogs. Plus I'm sending a letter too. :p
Zoom is going to look good as an ally.. oh wait.. he is an ally! He kicks ass too! :D

pani

This creature has a PR firm. Why do we think she is getting media attention? Because someone there is some backing, either big diet or big Pharma. T Devil is right. She is beginning to rub Americans the wrong way. It could easily backfire.

Breakfiend

One of the things they are complaining about is how showing fat people as ok is encourageing kids to be fat. WRONG! How many thousands of teenage girls (and some boys) dieing of anorexia will it take for these people to get the dam message!

Latest posts