Memories in the basement, a portfolio.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

rainyday

Departed
Very cool stuff, Stan. I can't believe you keep all this under the house! There's a great diversity here. I especially love the neon and the mask.

The art ball machine is fun as well, and your house number signs need to be turned into a side business.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Very cool stuff, Stan. I can't believe you keep all this under the house! There's a great diversity here. I especially love the neon and the mask.

The art ball machine is fun as well, and your house number signs need to be turned into a side business.
Thanks Rainy! I would like to display some of this stuff in a better place, but there isn't enough wall space in our house (hanging some of these things also requires serious mounting, especially in earthquake country...)

I wish I had the business smarts to start some sort of side business with making address signs or something. The one bad thing I've found about neon is that it doesn't ship very well. Every sign, or neon object I've made that has been on an airplane has burned out prematurely, especially ones sent by mail. I don't know if it's the elevation or the jaring around, or what.

Stan

Tina

Older and wiser now
Have you ever tried googling it and finding message boards for other neon artists to see how they deal with that, Stan? I love neon art -- very cool. :)

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Have you ever tried googling it and finding message boards for other neon artists to see how they deal with that, Stan? I love neon art -- very cool. :)
Thanks Tina! I need to get back into the art scene and find out these sort of things. I know off hand that the neon artists (the big shots anyway...) usually sell things in local galleries and have specialized packaging people handle the rest. The guy that I apprenticed with made large pieces and personally installed them himself. I have looked on the web, but I haven't specifically found any information regarding shipping (temperature or air pressure) issues that may shorten the life of the tubes.

A lot of people like neon, but there isn't much of it around in peoples houses. That is partially because it isn't UL approved for residential installation. Neon with it's external transformers can catch stuff on fire (and has) if it's not properly installed and maintained. It's generally only approved for commercial sign usage. Lately small stuff (like what they sell in mall specialty stores) such as plasma balls, and small neon items (with modular, relatively low voltage transformers) have been selling, and are U.L. approved. There is potential in making things like that.

I learned how to make the neon schematics at the Museum of Neon Art in L.A., they were always a good resource for information, but they've moved a couple of times. I haven't been there in a long time, once they relocate (again) I want to go back there and see what's going on in the neon scene.

http://www.neonmona.org/

Very good stuff, Stan! I especially like all the objects. :)
Thanks Santaclear! But the fact that sculpture is an object makes it harder to keep all of my old stuff around. Paintings can be stacked, but these objects have to be mounted or need floor space which I dont' have at the moment. One of these days I'll either try to sell my art or find a place to show it.

Stan

UMBROBOYUM

Your neon stuff rocks! I'd like to have a couple for when i get my apartment.. I love neon colors and lights!

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Thanks UMBROBOYUM! What's mostly overlooked with neon is that you can have some incredible "mood lighting". "Neon" tubes can contain other inert gases such as argon, krypton, xenon and helium. In clear (or clear colored glass) tubes the light can be quite beautiful, it doesn't have to be the usual blinding pastel colours that phosphorus coated tubes (typically for commercial use...) emit.

Stan

UMBROBOYUM

HAhah yeha I remember now.. just before I graduated coolege , one of my professors showed my the different gases. It's really something else. I love colors, I think I was born with sensation or something.. sometimes when I played music I see colors. Like when i play piano for example A certain key like Bb major or Eb major have a certain blue or sea green feeling when I close my eyes.

Latest posts