Men without pants

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Or kilt envy...

A thread in the Lounge (hi Sandie... ;) ) reminded me of something I discovered back when I was in college. There is a company I heard about that made kilts. Not truly Scotish kilts but generic kilts of all sorts.

http://www.utilikilts.com/index.php?page_id=46

I've always thought wearing a kilt would be the coolest thing (fashion-wise and in regards to comfort...) I saw these kilts and thought something like this would be comfortable to wear during warm weather, which is something we have commonly where I live. I haven't had a fear of being different for a long time, and wouldn't have a problem with sticking out in the crowd so to speak. Before I met my birth mother I had very little knowledge of what my heritage was, so I shied away from attempting to wear one of these kilts because I felt it would be "poseurish" if I wasn't Scotish, but these kilts seemed to be generic in design (i.e. they don't have the color of any tartan) so I tought it would be OK to wear one with out offending anyone Scottish. But I never persued getting one. Only a few years ago I did discover that I am of (more than likely a bit less) approx. 25 percent Scottish decent, so if somebody asked if I was Scotish I could truthfully say that I was, and I do actually know what my (biological) family tartan is (I have a Scottish surname on my sealed birth certificate)

This is what I'm curious about...

What do you (guys and gals) think of a male wearing a kilt as everyday clothing?

Do you think there is too much of an ethnic association with the wearing of a kilt (i.e. would it appear offensive or "poseur" for someone not necessarily of Scottish decent to wear one?)

Related to this...
In high school I had a male science teacher that wore a sari (I live in California BTW... I kid you not... his name was Mr. Rainbow, very much hippie)

http://home.arcor.de/indiadisplay/information/men.html

What would you think about a male wearing a sari?

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
OMG I totally wish Mr Rainbow was my teacher!!

Umm..those kilts are pretty nifty, and they definitely look like they could be worn everyday. I really like them..but it's spendy if you're not sure you'd wear it regularly. I think. I mean..I dunno, maybe you're our secret celebrity and have lots of money but to me $170.00 for an "if" seems like allot. I know as far as kilts go, that really isn't very expensive...but it seems like allot for a maybe.

I'm sure that this post didnt help you at all, so let me finish by saying..I REALLY wish Mr Rainbow had been my teacher :(

gnoom

Pig(let)Breeder
My answer might be different then others because i'm located in Germany wich gives my point of view a more or less different ankle.

For the kilts i will say:
Go for it! These ones aren't really looking like scottish, but more like "barbarian" or roman ones. We have this gothic subculture over here and they wouldn't even ask, they'd just buy and wear it (in black - of course!).

For the sari:
Go for it! A sari is definately a male garment.

What's about a sarong? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarong and the links on the bottom of that page too.

tattooU

In Portland, (where pretty much everyone is a hippy) i've seen many guys walking around in kilts. i say go for it! You'll be a trendsetter :)

olwen

Disco Bear
OMG, Stan, kilts are hot! I love it when guys wear kilts. They don't have to be purely scottish to do it either. I've seen dark skinned black guys wear kilts - but I live in NYC, so I see a lot of things. LOL. Seriously, I agree, go for it and then plz pst pix tnx. ;)

Sandie S-R

Guy also owns a Utilikilt. A lot of the men at the Highland games wear them, because they have pockets in them, and therefore you do not have to wear a sporran. The utilikilts are exceptionally functional, and quite good looking on.

:D

I highly recommend them, and love seeing a man in a kilt.

Anywhere. Anytime.

;)

GWARrior

EVERY MAN ON THIS PLANET SHOULD OWN A KILT.

The kilt is the sexiest article of clothing a man can wear. :wubu:

But Im a little biased. :p Most of the men in my family own kilts. Hell, I used to wear a kilt, back when I was in a bagpipe band. They're so freakin comfortable and a look pretty much any man can pull off. Kilt+tshirt+boots=HOT HOT HOT.

If I had to choose, Id go with a traditional tartan kilt, but the Utilikilt has done wonders for the business. They different styles are awesome and they're perfect for the non-Scots who dont want to wear a tartan.

Now I want one. Unfortunately, a kilt does nothing for my body. Damn my child-bearing hips!

edit- its really not offensive to wear a kilt if your not a Scot. I know a lot of non-Scots that wear kilts, simply because they are hella comfy and good-looking!

Fascinita

Jeez, we're blessed!
Stan, in NYC you see guys wearing kilts and skirts all the time. I don't mean that everyone's wearing them, but you do see men wearing them pretty frequently. No one really gives a damn because it's NYC and there's just all kinds in NYC.

As to whether you'd be a poseur, I say no. I say it's sexy and nothing beats a great pair of hairy legs. And you're right, wearing a skirt makes a difference in staying cooler. On the other hand, you get a chill quicker, too :D

Amatrix

Winkyface
we just had a Celtic Festival before the fourth.
and there were men running around with kilts on.

a strong number of men wear the sari because of their background.

i think its pretty cool and i used to like Jonathan Davis from Korn when he work a kilt all the time.Even the man's man- Vin Diesel wears a kilt.

the sari i think is kinda exotic, and kilt is really hip.

Dr. P Marshall

What do you (guys and gals) think of a male wearing a kilt as everyday clothing?

Yes, yes you should. And I hope you realize, you better keep your camera loaded with film. :p Bonus points if you wear the kilt WITH the fur hat.

Seriously, I actually think kilts look good on men.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
OMG I totally wish Mr Rainbow was my teacher!!

lots of money but to me $170.00 for an "if" seems like allot. I know as far as kilts go, that really isn't very expensive...but it seems like allot for a maybe.

REALLY wish Mr Rainbow had been my teacher :(

The price was one thing holding me back initially. They only had the more pricy ones back when I first saw them. It's still a bit pricy at $170 but I might splurge if I get my car sold this month.

P.S. I'll post a piccie of Mr. Rainbow for you, I'm pretty sure he was in the year book.

My answer might be different then others because i'm located in Germany wich gives my point of view a more or less different ankle.

For the kilts i will say:
Go for it! These ones aren't really looking like scottish, but more like "barbarian" or roman ones. We have this gothic subculture over here and they wouldn't even ask, they'd just buy and wear it (in black - of course!).

For the sari:
Go for it! A sari is definately a male garment.

What's about a sarong? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarong and the links on the bottom of that page too.

Thanks for he encouragement and info on the sarongs. I do actually remember seeing someone wearing a sarong down at the beach a while back.

In Portland, (where pretty much everyone is a hippy) i've seen many guys walking around in kilts. i say go for it! You'll be a trendsetter :)

The Pacific NW is definitely more openminded in many ways! The one thing I'm lucky about is that I work in academia, I probably could even get by wearing a kilt to work.

OMG, Stan, kilts are hot! I love it when guys wear kilts. They don't have to be purely scottish to do it either. I've seen dark skinned black guys wear kilts - but I live in NYC, so I see a lot of things. LOL. Seriously, I agree, go for it and then plz pst pix tnx. ;)

L.A. also has it's share of variety and is open minded in many ways, but funny enough I rarely see guys wearing kilts (maybe because I'm mostly in suburbia / the mountains...) I think NYC is by far the most diverse place in the U.S. from what I've seen, I imagine you see all sorts of cool things there Olwen! If I do get one I'll definitely post pix... you can count on it!

:( This thread title was so promising.

;) J/k

Dirty birdy! ;)

If I do get a kilt, how about I wear it "regimental"? Maybe... just maybe, I'll post seated pictures. :p :D

Guy also owns a Utilikilt. A lot of the men at the Highland games wear them, because they have pockets in them, and therefore you do not have to wear a sporran. The utilikilts are exceptionally functional, and quite good looking on.

:D

I highly recommend them, and love seeing a man in a kilt.

Anywhere. Anytime.

;)

Very cool! The other thing I was wondering about the Utilikilt...

What do you think about he quailty?

That price is the only thing holding me back from getting one, but if you think the quality is good I might just go for the gusto and get one this week.

EVERY MAN ON THIS PLANET SHOULD OWN A KILT.

edit- its really not offensive to wear a kilt if your not a Scot. I know a lot of non-Scots that wear kilts, simply because they are hella comfy and good-looking!

Thanks GWARrior! As I wrote above, having been raised German / American and being of minimal Scottish heritage that's the biggest thing I was worried about. I didn't want to offend.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Stan, in NYC you see guys wearing kilts and skirts all the time. I don't mean that everyone's wearing them, but you do see men wearing them pretty frequently. No one really gives a damn because it's NYC and there's just all kinds in NYC.

As to whether you'd be a poseur, I say no. I say it's sexy and nothing beats a great pair of hairy legs. And you're right, wearing a skirt makes a difference in staying cooler. On the other hand, you get a chill quicker, too :D

Thanks Fascinita! At least here in SoCal, most of the year I won't have to worry about getting too chilled wearing a kilt... ;)

we just had a Celtic Festival before the fourth.
and there were men running around with kilts on.

a strong number of men wear the sari because of their background.

i think its pretty cool and i used to like Jonathan Davis from Korn when he work a kilt all the time.Even the man's man- Vin Diesel wears a kilt.

the sari i think is kinda exotic, and kilt is really hip.

For our 4th of July parade, we had a local kilt wearing Scottish group play bagpipes and march in the parade, but there aren't too many Celtic festivals in our immediate area that I know of, but certainly more towards L.A. When I visited my birth mother in Nova Scotia there was a lot of Celtic culture there, the music, the art, it was very interesting! Speaking of saris, the guy who's wife used to babysit our daughter is from India and he would wear a sari around the house, but I never saw him wear one in public.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Yes, yes you should. And I hope you realize, you better keep your camera loaded with film. :p Bonus points if you wear the kilt WITH the fur hat.

Seriously, I actually think kilts look good on men.

Maybe a piccie of me in a kilt with the hat... but probably not in public. :p :)

Amatrix

Winkyface
For our 4th of July parade, we had a local kilt wearing Scottish group play bagpipes and march in the parade, but there aren't too many Celtic festivals in our immediate area that I know of, but certainly more towards L.A. When I visited my birth mother in Nova Scotia there was a lot of Celtic culture there, the music, the art, it was very interesting! Speaking of saris, the guy who's wife used to babysit our daughter is from India and he would wear a sari around the house, but I never saw him wear one in public.

Thats odd... well maybe it wasnt cool then to stick out?
/derail

Nova Scotia? Blue Nose?*thats what he called himself anyways...so no offense if it offends you* :happy:
My ex lived there, and I was on PEI last year, around December.And in Halifax for a few days.I saw the one place thats haunted.Caledonia Mills, if I remember right.The fire spook ordeal, and he lived like 3 miles from that place.
grown man would not drive by that place after dark...lolz.also saw devils island, citadel hill, etc.

There is so much Culture there... and poutine! om om nom! Lovely place, very nice people.
back on track/

the people who wear saris here, wear them all the time. and had to start home schooling because someone spit on one of the sons while they were at school, like right after 9/11. i missed the older girl because she taught me to tie a sarong. people can be cruel. but you see them out in public and doing everyday things, such bright colors.

kilts = sexy.:)

Sandie S-R

Stan, you asked about quality? The Utilikilts are second to none. Very sturdy and well made, with rivets like bluejeans. High quality. One will last a lifetime. Unless you are really rough on it. ;)

You might also want to check out www.sportkilt.com (that is where I get Charlie's kilts from - a bit less expensive, and terrific customer service!). Also check out www.neokilt.com

Let us know what what you decide. And post pix pls kthnksbai.

olwen

Disco Bear
...L.A. also has it's share of variety and is open minded in many ways, but funny enough I rarely see guys wearing kilts (maybe because I'm mostly in suburbia / the mountains...) I think NYC is by far the most diverse place in the U.S. from what I've seen, I imagine you see all sorts of cool things there Olwen! If I do get one I'll definitely post pix... you can count on it!...

Academics can get away with all kinds of styles of clothes. I like that about academia. I've had professors who wore a t-shirt and jeans grunge style.

Cool things - yeah, not so much people as happenings. People do crazy stuff sometimes, especially on the subway! You're right about NYC being diverse. I'm reminded of that every time I leave and am surely freaked out about the lack of diversity in other parts of the country. I think I'm spoiled in that way.

What's more freaky to me is when I get on certain subway lines like the G or the F or the 2 train and after a certain stop (usually any stop after you leave downtown brooklyn) you realize there are too many whites or too many blacks and not enough of everything else or too many anything and not enough of everything else. It makes me nervous. I've lived here my whole life and I've never gotten used to that. I think Queens is the most diverse borough tho. Vive la difference.

JoyJoy

Stan,

A very good friend of mine wears a Utilikilt on a regular basis - he's a truck driver, and wearing one makes his job much more comfortable. He owns five or six and swears by them. He says he gets strange looks sometimes, but the only comments he gets are positive ones. When I've been with him while wearing one, he's had several people come right out and ask him about it and have loved it, and complimented him for wearing it. I agree with the other ladies...they are ultra-sexy!

BTW...if you haven't viewed the "Mockumercials" on the site, you should. There's some funny stuff there (esp the first ("If it's not utilikilts...") and second ("Call Me" & "Don't Ask")) place winners of Round 2 :D)

gnoom

Pig(let)Breeder
I saw a guy in one of the utilikilts just earlier this day during Christopher Street Day Parade, very handsome (the guy), very nice (the kilt).:blush:

GWARrior

I just remembered that Im working at a pretty big Irish fest. at the end of the month and this thread has got me all EXCITED!!!! MEN IN KILTS!!!:wubu::eat2::smitten:

Latest posts