Menus and meal planning

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MisticalMisty

So, after coming up with a menu and meal planning for Rob and I, I thought it would be cool to see how others tackle meals.

Are you a plan ahead kind of person..shopping purposefully for specific ingredients? Or, do you just buy staples and put stuff together on the fly.

I am a plan ahead kind of person and I try to bulk cook when I can. We have completely stopped eating out. After working all day, I don't always want to cook. I can't imagine having to do it for a family!

We just did a big shopping trip tonight. This is our menu for the next few weeks. I added it up and just from the list below, we should be able to get 35 lunches and dinners.

apple cinnamon pancakes and bacon
chicken pot pie
lasagna
spaghetti and meatballs
meatball subs
steak and sides
hashbrown casserole
smothered pork chops
chicken and rice
crock pot pork chops
taco soup
hamburger steaks
ham steaks
chicken fried rice
shake and bake chicken

We buy all of our meats at Sams. We spent 100 on meat and it will probably last us at least 3 months. The last time we bought meat was back in November. I've only had to purchase hamburger.

I'll spend Saturday or Sunday crafting my home made marinara for the Italian dishes. I normally cook and then separate items into thirds. We eat one third within the week, one third goes to lunches for us and the other goes in the freezer.

What about you?

TearInYourHand

Mistress Member
I'm much less of a planner, and more of a "buy staples and mix and match" kind of girl. Usually my meals are pretty simple and based around fresh ingredients, supplemented with things like dried pasta, rice, etc that I always have on hand.

For example, I may see some fresh asparagus at the market, some purple potatoes, and buy them with nothing particular in mind. Maybe I'll be inspired to make cream of asparagus soup with a side of roasted potatoes, or maybe I'll grill some fish and have mashed taters and roasted asparagus. Or maybe toss the asparagus with some pasta and other veggies to make primavera. See what I mean? I kind of buy what looks fresh and fly by the seat of my pants.

Of course, since cooking is one of my passions, I love to specially buy ingredients and try new recipes and cooking techniques. That's more a weekend pleasure for me, when a time crunch is not an option and I am super relaxed!!

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
For the past year, as a way to save money, I have been buying what is on sale and eating around that.

Whenever they have buy one/get one, I buy as many as allowed if it is a good deal and we like it. I also supplement with some coupons. I try and buy meats that are $1.99 per pound or less.

Then I make a weekly meal plan based on what has just been purchased and make sure I have all the ingredients if it is necessery for a recipe.

I also like to cook once and eat two, three or four times. It save times, clean up and electricity. For example, if whole chicken is on sale, I buy two birds. Roast both together, and eat some for a dinner. Then pull the meat off of the bones and use it for other recipes. Usually something like chicken tacos the next day or chicken with mushroom soup over rice or noodles. I then eat that for lunch the next day. Any extra meat, I bag and freeze for a future meal.

We have saved a lot of money this way. Also, it is easier because I always have something in the house to make.

The sale paper, coupons, and the freezer have become my best friends.

Sometimes I get a hankering for something and I start looking for the ingredients to go on sale. Then I build them up till I have it all. The only time buying things on sale doesn't work, is if it is a special occassion and someone asks for something special for their birthday. Then I just buy it.

crayola box

Ooh I like this thread, what a great way to get new ideas!

Depending on what my schedule is like I am both a plan ahead and improvise kinda girl. When I am super busy or don't know what the schedule is going to be like I find that if i plan what i am going to make and buy the ingredients then often something comes up and they go to waste, so it is better for me to cook from stuff in the pantry or freezer or from versatile ingredients. Other times when i am feeling super organized I plan the weeks meals in advance and that way I am guaranteed something nutritious and interesting (and hopefully delicious). If I know time will be scarce I try to make it all on a Sunday afternoon to have for the week. As a bonus having all the meals planned(ish) means I don't resort to random junk during the week which my health and wallet probably enjoy :p

Anyway, for this coming week I am cooking today and this is what's on the menu:

black bean soup
vichysoisse (leek potato soup)
turkey meatballs with okra in a spicy tomato sauce
fish (tilapia or mahi mahi) with peppers broccoli and almonds in a coconut curry sauce (stew?)
Spanakopita
Something with mushrooms not sure what yet
Plain brown rice that be paired with a few of the above

Everything but the fish is totally freezable so some will be going in the freezer for the future.

That pretty much takes care of the dinners, and some lunches. For the rest of the lunches this week I am thinking easy but interesting sandwiches and salads.

Breakfast is the one meal I only have a few minutes if that, for so I only plan it in so far as I keep oatmeal, yogurt and eggbeaters around and plan to have something centering on one of those each morning except weekends.

Alright off to make the soups!

FatAndProud

I tend to buy my staples and I also buy (occasionally) for meals. But, as a college student, I generally stick to staples. I always have dried beans, wheat noodles, chicken, and other various things. I read cookbooks a lot to get variation (there's only so many ways to cook chicken until you get bored!!!).

Sweet Tooth

Deep. W i d e.
I never know what I'm going to be in the mood for from day to day. I tried doing menu planning while married to be more budget conscious, but even then things would come up that would change the schedule or we'd have a day where we just wanted something lighter or more filling.

I tend to keep staples around. I actually made myself a master grocery list so I can just highlight what I need quickly. [Yes, I'm so OCD, but it is truly a time saver and I'm less likely to forget stuff.] And then, some weeks, I think of something special I might want to make, and I have room on the master list for the necessary items.

My biggest issue is that so many things come in big sizes rather than small ones. If I buy certain ingredients, I have to figure out how much I'm going to end up wasting just by virtue of being the only one consuming it.

Flutterby68

My Cups Runneth Over
I tend to plan menus a week or two in advance, but not in any set order. Just "I'm gonna make these 10 meals" and will choose at the time which day to do it. I will choose the meal menus based on what is already in the house, and what is going to be on sale, and then I shop accordingly. We also get the signature food box from Angel Food once a month. Here are some of the meals we have:

1 Tonight we are having a roast whole chicken, with stuffing and green beans.
2 Tomorrow will be chicken stew (leftover from roast) with carrots, potatoes, onions and gravy that goes into a pie shell to become homemade pot pie.
3. Burgers stuffed with shredded pepper jack cheese and mushrooms, and baked french fries
4. Scalloped potatoes with ham and peas (in the potatoes)
5. Spinach lasagna with garlic bread
6. Fish and chips (homemade)
7. Beef pot roast with potatoes and carrots
8. hot roast beef sandwiches with mashed potatoes and veggie (leftover from pot roast)
9. Grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches with potato soup
10. Grilled steak, baked potatoes and salad
11. Fajitas (made with leftover steak, cut into strips)
12. Homemade chili
13. Chili mac (leftover chili, and freeze some chili)
14. Homemade pizza
15. Corned beef with potatoes, carrots and cabbage
16. Reuben sandwiches
17. Chili dogs

Flutterby68

My Cups Runneth Over
Oh.. and I use a VERY detailed master grocery list. Here it is:

FRESH MEAT/POULTRY
Ground beef
Italian sausage
Steak
Breakfast Sausage
Bacon
Chicken
Hamburger patties
Pork Chops
Fresh Fish
Lunch meat
Ham
Corned beef brisket
Hot dogs

DAIRY/EGGS
Milk
Whipped cream/Cool Whip
Butter
Yogurt
Cottage cheese
Chip Dip
Ricotta
Parmesan
Eggs
Ice Cream/popsicles
Pre-made biscuits
Prepared Puddings
Coffee Cream

BREAD/CEREAL/BAKED GOODS
Bread
Hot dog/Hamburger buns
Tortillas
Graham crackers
Crackers
Pretzels
Chips
Cheese crackers/goldfish
Cookies
Microwave popcorn
Instant Oatmeal
Cereal
Breadcrumbs
Muffin Mix
Pancake Mix

CANNED GOODS
Diced tomatoes/sauce/paste
Soup/Broth
Jarred spaghetti sauce
Tuna
Canned Fruit
Refried beans
Olives/pickles/relishes
Canned Vegetables

PRODUCE
Apples
Bananas
Celery
Carrots
Broccoli/Cauliflower
Onions
Potatoes/Sweet potatoes
Lettuce
Garlic
Avocados
Green/Red Peppers
Berries/Grapes
Oranges/Tangerines
Tomatoes
Spinach
Salad Mix
Fresh Mushrooms

PASTA/RICE/BEANS
Elbow macaroni
Rice
Spaghetti
Lasagna
Egg noodles
White beans

STAPLES/BAKING
Flour (white/wheat)
Baking soda
Cake Mix
Frosting
Olive oil
Vegetable oil
Sugar
Yeast
Decorating/bake cups

FROZEN FOODS
Vegetables
Orange juice
Frozen entrees
Ravioli
Fish filets/fish sticks
Chicken nuggets/tenders
Burritos
Pizza
Garlic Bread
French Fries

CONDIMENTS/SPICES
Ketchup
Mustard
Mayo
Miracle Whip
Salsa
Hot sauce
Steak sauce
Salad Dressing ______________
Relish
Pickles
Jam/preserves
Maple/Pancake syrup
Honey
Pepper
Salt
Peanut Butter

BEVERAGES
Orange juice
Apple/Grape/Punch juice
Bottled Water
Pop
Coffee
Tea
Kool-Aid mix
Choc Milk Mix

HOUSEHOLD/MISC
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Dish soap
Sponges/scrub pads
Dishwasher detergent
Trash bags
Laundry detergent
Fabric softener
Bleach
Lysol
Window cleaner
Ammonia
White vinegar
Bon Ami/Ajax
Hand soap
Air Freshener
Cleaning Wipes
Tilex
GladWare Containers

HEALTH & BEAUTY
Toothpaste
Dental floss
Mouthwash
Shampoo/Conditioner
Bar soap
Shower gel
Razor and/or blades
Shaving cream
Deodorant
Makeup/Skin care
Bandaids
Antiseptic
Motrin/Tylenol
Cold meds
Toothbrush
Hairbrush/Comb
Tampons
Hair Color
Food
Toys

WEEKLY MEALS

SUN:

MON:

TUE:

WED:

THU:

FRI:

SAT:

Snacks/lunches

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I wish I could be this organized. It seems like even when I do plan in advance we never seem to stick to it. I think it will be really helpful once we get into the house and don't live within walking distance of a grocery store and several restaurants- including a pizzeria in our basement lol- so this thread is very helpful.

Now, Misty...everything you make is able to be cooked ahead, then frozen and microwaved or heated? I looked at a once a month cooking site and it seemed like it was really just the prep work was done once a month and then you still had to cook every day. I don't like that lol

MisticalMisty

I wish I could be this organized. It seems like even when I do plan in advance we never seem to stick to it. I think it will be really helpful once we get into the house and don't live within walking distance of a grocery store and several restaurants- including a pizzeria in our basement lol- so this thread is very helpful.

Now, Misty...everything you make is able to be cooked ahead, then frozen and microwaved or heated? I looked at a once a month cooking site and it seemed like it was really just the prep work was done once a month and then you still had to cook every day. I don't like that lol
Yes..minus the pasta. I don't mind cooking spaghetti or whatever at that time.

I also make most of the sides that night..but there's nothing to opening a can of beans or cooking some rice quickly. Getting the entree done..which is always the most work..is most important.

I think I cook maybe twice or three times a week at the most and the most involved thing has been mashed potatoes..lol

I am lazzzyyy!

adasiyan

I do the exact same thing, primarily because i'm a terrible shopper and very impulsive.
Also shopping usually makes me hungry so i tend to buy crap we don't need lol.

My husband doesnt like me to shop without a very detailed master list and a meal plan.

Oh.. and I use a VERY detailed master grocery list. Here it is:

FRESH MEAT/POULTRY
Ground beef
Italian sausage
Steak
Breakfast Sausage
Bacon
Chicken
Hamburger patties
Pork Chops
Fresh Fish
Lunch meat
Ham
Corned beef brisket
Hot dogs

DAIRY/EGGS
Milk
Whipped cream/Cool Whip
Butter
Yogurt
Cottage cheese
Chip Dip
Ricotta
Parmesan
Eggs
Ice Cream/popsicles
Pre-made biscuits
Prepared Puddings
Coffee Cream

BREAD/CEREAL/BAKED GOODS
Bread
Hot dog/Hamburger buns
Tortillas
Graham crackers
Crackers
Pretzels
Chips
Cheese crackers/goldfish
Cookies
Microwave popcorn
Instant Oatmeal
Cereal
Breadcrumbs
Muffin Mix
Pancake Mix

CANNED GOODS
Diced tomatoes/sauce/paste
Soup/Broth
Jarred spaghetti sauce
Tuna
Canned Fruit
Refried beans
Olives/pickles/relishes
Canned Vegetables

PRODUCE
Apples
Bananas
Celery
Carrots
Broccoli/Cauliflower
Onions
Potatoes/Sweet potatoes
Lettuce
Garlic
Avocados
Green/Red Peppers
Berries/Grapes
Oranges/Tangerines
Tomatoes
Spinach
Salad Mix
Fresh Mushrooms

PASTA/RICE/BEANS
Elbow macaroni
Rice
Spaghetti
Lasagna
Egg noodles
White beans

STAPLES/BAKING
Flour (white/wheat)
Baking soda
Cake Mix
Frosting
Olive oil
Vegetable oil
Sugar
Yeast
Decorating/bake cups

FROZEN FOODS
Vegetables
Orange juice
Frozen entrees
Ravioli
Fish filets/fish sticks
Chicken nuggets/tenders
Burritos
Pizza
Garlic Bread
French Fries

CONDIMENTS/SPICES
Ketchup
Mustard
Mayo
Miracle Whip
Salsa
Hot sauce
Steak sauce
Salad Dressing ______________
Relish
Pickles
Jam/preserves
Maple/Pancake syrup
Honey
Pepper
Salt
Peanut Butter

BEVERAGES
Orange juice
Apple/Grape/Punch juice
Bottled Water
Pop
Coffee
Tea
Kool-Aid mix
Choc Milk Mix

HOUSEHOLD/MISC
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Dish soap
Sponges/scrub pads
Dishwasher detergent
Trash bags
Laundry detergent
Fabric softener
Bleach
Lysol
Window cleaner
Ammonia
White vinegar
Bon Ami/Ajax
Hand soap
Air Freshener
Cleaning Wipes
Tilex
GladWare Containers

HEALTH & BEAUTY
Toothpaste
Dental floss
Mouthwash
Shampoo/Conditioner
Bar soap
Shower gel
Razor and/or blades
Shaving cream
Deodorant
Makeup/Skin care
Bandaids
Antiseptic
Motrin/Tylenol
Cold meds
Toothbrush
Hairbrush/Comb
Tampons
Hair Color
Food
Toys

WEEKLY MEALS

SUN:

MON:

TUE:

WED:

THU:

FRI:

SAT:

Snacks/lunches

LoveBHMS

default title
Flutterby I'm officially in awe of both you and the fact that that list exists and that you use it. Wow.

In answer to the OP, I don't cook for the most part, and I try to practice intuitive eating, so oftentimes I'll buy food for a couple of days and then decide I really want a particular food item and if it's not around, I go out and buy it because otherwise I wind up not being satified with whatever i've had.

I'm planning on trying a new diet to treat a health condition I have, and that is going to require a lot planning and adding/subtracting various foods, so hopefully this thread will inspire me.

CrankySpice

Unwashed.
I tend to meal plan on a weekly basis on Fridays and make a shopping list based on the meal plan. It doesn't vary all that much because neither my kids nor I mind eating the same things week after week. On nights they are at their father's house, I tend to wing it or plan something that I know they won't care for - pea & potato curry or vegetarian chili, for example. I also plan for snacks on hand, although honestly that's the toughest part to maintain because my oldest son can wipe out the weekly snacks in a single sitting. :rolleyes: This is our current rolling menu:

Monday - Chicken Parmigiana Sandwiches
Tuesday - Pork Fried Rice
Wednesday (no kids) - cabbage & noodles or veggie chili
Thursday - spaghetti & meatballs
Friday (sometimes kids/sometimes no kids) - varies, lately it is patty melts
Saturday - Philly Cheese Steak Soup & fresh baked bread
Sunday - leftovers

Snacks: oranges, grapes, homemade cheese popcorn, brownies, & saltine toffee

I buy in bulk when it makes fiscal sense and the bulk purchases are on a rotation, so I'm never buying them all in the same week. Pretty much the only thing I buy weekly is what needs to go in the freezer (chicken patties and meatballs) because of limited freezer space & fresh produce or milk.

ValentineBBW

seeking Vegas
I tend to meal plan on a weekly basis on Fridays and make a shopping list based on the meal plan. It doesn't vary all that much because neither my kids nor I mind eating the same things week after week. On nights they are at their father's house, I tend to wing it or plan something that I know they won't care for - pea & potato curry or vegetarian chili, for example. I also plan for snacks on hand, although honestly that's the toughest part to maintain because my oldest son can wipe out the weekly snacks in a single sitting. :rolleyes: This is our current rolling menu:

Monday - Chicken Parmigiana Sandwiches
Tuesday - Pork Fried Rice
Wednesday (no kids) - cabbage & noodles or veggie chili
Thursday - spaghetti & meatballs
Friday (sometimes kids/sometimes no kids) - varies, lately it is patty melts
Saturday - Philly Cheese Steak Soup & fresh baked bread
Sunday - leftovers

Snacks: oranges, grapes, homemade cheese popcorn, brownies, & saltine toffee

I buy in bulk when it makes fiscal sense and the bulk purchases are on a rotation, so I'm never buying them all in the same week. Pretty much the only thing I buy weekly is what needs to go in the freezer (chicken patties and meatballs) because of limited freezer space & fresh produce or milk.

Philly Cheesesteak Soup? recipe please?

CrankySpice

Unwashed.
Philly Cheese Steak Soup

Ingredients

* 3/4 cup butter
* 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 green pepper, diced
* 2 medium onions, diced
* 10 or so fresh mushrooms, diced
* 6 cups milk
* 2 cups beef broth (I make mine from bouillon)
* 3/4 lb cooked steak or any leftover cooked beef, diced
* 8 ounces shredded cheese (provolone to be authentic, although I usually use cheddar because it is what's on hand)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1.Melt butter in large, heavy-bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
2.Add green peppers, onion, and mushrooms and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
3.Add flour and cook another 5 minutes, stirring often.
4.Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a simmer, stirring often until soup thickens.
5.Reduce heat to medium low and stir in beef broth, salt and pepper.
6.Slowly stir in cheese until all is melted and incorporated into soup.
7.Remove from heat and stir in roast beef. Serve!

ValentineBBW

seeking Vegas
Philly Cheese Steak Soup

Ingredients

* 3/4 cup butter
* 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 green pepper, diced
* 2 medium onions, diced
* 10 or so fresh mushrooms, diced
* 6 cups milk
* 2 cups beef broth (I make mine from bouillon)
* 3/4 lb cooked steak or any leftover cooked beef, diced
* 8 ounces shredded cheese (provolone to be authentic, although I usually use cheddar because it is what's on hand)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1.Melt butter in large, heavy-bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
2.Add green peppers, onion, and mushrooms and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
3.Add flour and cook another 5 minutes, stirring often.
4.Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a simmer, stirring often until soup thickens.
5.Reduce heat to medium low and stir in beef broth, salt and pepper.
6.Slowly stir in cheese until all is melted and incorporated into soup.
7.Remove from heat and stir in roast beef. Serve!
YUM! Thank you for posting CS. I know what I'll be having very soon.

Missy9579

Formerly BigCutieViolet!
My freezer is stocked so full, and we are looking to buy another.

I buy a lot of whatever is on sale.

Sometimes the packages of boneless chicken breasts are buy 1, get 2 free (Big Y) so i will but 18 packs of it.

When boneless prime rib goes on sale at Stew Leonards, you pick a hunk that you want, hand it to the butcher and tell them how you want it. I get it cut into 1" steaks and I will buy 40 pounds at $5 a pound. I take it home and double wrap it in pairs of 2, then use the air out sealer.

Therefore my freezer if full of meat. In the mornings before work I pull something out of the freezer, hamburg, steak, chicken whatever it may be. I put it n the sink. My husband puts it in the freezer a fwe hours later before he leaves for work.

Sometimes I dont know what I am going to do with it. If I take chicken out I try to think of a way I havent made it in a while. So while I dont always know what I am going to do with it, I try to take something out to defrost daily. I have a large pantry closet, so I have an abundance of side dish stuff and what not.

If there is something that takes a long time, I will usually make that on weekends, like homemade soup or lasagna or what not. Tim eats leftovers for lunch every day and I usually buy lunch meat for myself.

Sometimes I get tired of doing the same thing and I really run out of ideas and then sort of get into a rut. My husband doesnt care what he eats, or how so he is not much help, and I will stay in a rut for a few days and refuse to cook because nothing sounds good.

jewels_mystery

Urban Hippie
My freezer is stocked so full, and we are looking to buy another.

I buy a lot of whatever is on sale.

Sometimes the packages of boneless chicken breasts are buy 1, get 2 free (Big Y) so i will but 18 packs of it.

When boneless prime rib goes on sale at Stew Leonards, you pick a hunk that you want, hand it to the butcher and tell them how you want it. I get it cut into 1" steaks and I will buy 40 pounds at $5 a pound. I take it home and double wrap it in pairs of 2, then use the air out sealer.

Therefore my freezer if full of meat. In the mornings before work I pull something out of the freezer, hamburg, steak, chicken whatever it may be. I put it n the sink. My husband puts it in the freezer a fwe hours later before he leaves for work.

Sometimes I dont know what I am going to do with it. If I take chicken out I try to think of a way I havent made it in a while. So while I dont always know what I am going to do with it, I try to take something out to defrost daily. I have a large pantry closet, so I have an abundance of side dish stuff and what not.

If there is something that takes a long time, I will usually make that on weekends, like homemade soup or lasagna or what not. Tim eats leftovers for lunch every day and I usually buy lunch meat for myself.

Sometimes I get tired of doing the same thing and I really run out of ideas and then sort of get into a rut. My husband doesnt care what he eats, or how so he is not much help, and I will stay in a rut for a few days and refuse to cook because nothing sounds good.
I second this. I stock up on whatever is on sale. Thankfully I use it all and nothing has gone to waste. My freezer chest is a god send. I cook in batches and freeze it. That has saved me time and money on days when I do not like cooking.

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

Mike and I tend to stick to things we like and just rotate them. Not very exciting, lol

Breakfast Burritos
Indian Turkey and Veg Curry with Naan and Onion Bhajis with brown rice
Chinese Stir Fry w/chunks of meat with brown rice
Baked Chicken legs and thighs served with brown rice mixed with cream of chicken soup and green beans
Whole wheat pasta w/ground beef and sauce and garlic bread
Ground Beef Burritos
Chicken Fajitas

I have cooked other things...but it is rare. We like what we like and it fits our budget and tastebuds nicely....and it's fairly healthy everything is served with some sort of veggie and is whole wheat or brown:)

crayola box

Went grocery shopping last night and am cooking today. This is the plan for this week's menu, with hopefully enough leftovers for lunches/freezer

-PW braised short ribs
-Leek Cauliflower and Goat Cheese Tart
-Smitten Kitchen Mushroom Burguignon (sp??) over noodles (this is meatless so for anyone who is veg and misses pot roast type meal try this)
-tofu and sweet potato hash
- caramelized onion soup with cheese toasts

***really wanted to also make Italian wedding soup with kale, orzo and meatballs but the market was out of every ground meat

Mix and Match sides that can go with diff things above:
-pureed turnips
-steamed globe artichokes (these dont really go with anything above but i have to use them up)
-Israeli chopped salad
-sauteed spinach/or warm spinach salad...maybe(if I am feeling like there is a lack of veggies going on)
-some kinda of slaw - cause I have a bag of shredded cabbage and a couple of apples that need to be used ASAP

BTW there was a really good tip in the NY Times a few weeks ago. The columnist said that the minute he gets home he takes a big pot, fills it with water, and sets it to boil, even if he has no idea what he is going to cook. He said it saves so much time waiting for water to boil later, and that so many dishes require boiled water in some form that it never goes to waste. Even if you don't use it you can make coffee or water the plants when it cools. Personally I think this could be really good in getting over the mental hurdle on days i just don't want to make dinner, its like well if the water is already boiling I might as well make the rest of the meal...