MidLife Crisis

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by one2one, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

Lately, I've been feeling really restless and wondering if I might be on the verge of the notorious midlife crisis. I just haven't figured out what it is that I want to do about it, but I have such a pervasive sense that there's something else that comes next. Does anyone else feel this way?

SuzyQutsy likes this.
  2. Dec 27, 2011 #2

Dromond

Dromond

Dromond

Old school

https://www.facebook.com/john.m.pedigo, M
    Not really. I never experienced a mid-life crisis, so I can't advise you on it.

3. Dec 28, 2011 #3

Still a Skye fan

Still a Skye fan

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated

Hmmm...I'm going to hit my 46th birthday on January 12 and I don't feel any different.

I have a job I actually like which pays decently and lets me use my two college degrees. I have a dipshit boss but then whose boss is "perfect"?

I live in a mortgage free house.

My car will be paid off in April 2012 and I'll get to experience life free of car payments for the first time in YEARS.

I'm ridiculously healthy and feel fine.

I've been seeing a nice gal for the past year or so.

So...I currently have no urge to find a 20-something trophy wife or buy a sports car or whatever one does during a mid-life crisis. My life actually isn't all that bad right now.

Dennis

HeavyDuty24 likes this.
  4. Dec 28, 2011 #4

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher

I've kinda been in that place for a while now. I've gotten bored with my life -- which has been good, no cmpliants -- but felt like it was time for a change. I've done some small things that have been good for me so far but I see even bigger things on the horizon. The job I'm in now looks like it will be ending/outsourced soon and I'm going to have to figure out what I'm going to do with that circumstance. It's scary but I'm excited too. I might have to start all over again and that actually doesn't look so bad to me. Maybe my band will take off and I'll be traveling. Maybe I'll have a new career. Maybe I'll be homeless and destitute. It's exciting. :)

EvilPrincess and one2one like this.
  5. Dec 28, 2011 #5

Webmaster

Webmaster

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus

https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
    Having already gone through my 40s and left them behind, I can tell you that a midlife crisis in one's 40s is not an inevitability. I never had one in my 40s, or 50s. In fact, my 40s probably were the time in my life where I accomplished most.

And the other good news: you have many, many good years ahead of you. I know. :)

6. Dec 28, 2011 #6

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

I've been having a lot of thoughts lately about where I want to go with the rest of my life. I missed out on a lot of things in my 30's because I was in such a bad place health, mobility, and energy-wise. While most of my peers spent those years building careers, raising families, saving a nest egg, working on personal endeavors, etc... I just coasted along and did what I could, when I could without any real plan.

Now that I am able to do more, I'm having a very hard time deciding what exactly it is that I should do.

A lot of my friends are having similar thoughts though. Is there something better? More fulfilling? More meaningful? The only real difference between us is that for me is that I'm just starting out, while they are making a turnaround mid-stream. But this whole "what next?" feeling seems to be fairly common among people I know who are around the mid-30's to late 40's age range.

Tracy

7. Dec 29, 2011 #7

Ruffie

Ruffie

Ruffie

I don't think mine qualifies as the stereotypical mid life crisis, I don't want to drop the hubby for a younger man or drive a sports car. Rather mine is stress related where I would just like some me time. I feel like I have lost a lot of myself this past year. Work changed for me after I changed positions in the organization due to stress, a photography business that took a huge hit in this economy and my 80 year old mom still living in her home and the responsibilities there. Add to it that my son has recently bought a house with his girlfriend who has two children from a previous relationship and we have become instant grandparents there as well as trying to keep up with my heart children and grandchildren I am exhausted. In October I hot a deer on the hiway at night and had whiplash and a low grade back injury as well as totalling off my jeep. So its been recovery with occupational therapy, massages, doctor visits and having to work through the process. Then there was shopping for a new vehicle o the little amount insurance gave me for the settlement and then added debt to obtain a new one. Have not made time for hobbies and interests and I think with year of adjustments and challenges its going to take this old girl time to find herself again.

8. Dec 30, 2011 #8

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

I think the mid-life crises of the past 30s and 40s doesn't apply to us because we don't consider them as mid-life. I'm think we'll hit that in our 50s..

(mainly because "they" keep raising the retirement age.. )

9. Jan 2, 2012 #9

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

This is good to know!

Perhaps crisis was the wrong word to use because I'm not at a crisis point. More like a turning point. As Dennis mentioned, things are relatively stable in my life, and for the first time in a few years I can sit back and think about what I want to do instead of just what I need to do. And it is exciting, Lilly. :)

Maybe the opportunity aspect of it is the way to discover what direction it will go. Something more purposeful than the way life has far too often changed the course of things for me, without being the one to make the choices.

My profession has always been meaningful for me and still is, but I think I'm realizing that much of my life away from work is about taking care of details and doesn't include enough of the things I'm passionate about or that are fulfilling and give back to me in some way. I would like to create a life that fits me better in those ways.

My heart really goes out to you, Ruffie. You're going through so much right now, and at least in regard to your injuries, I know how hard it is. I've been there, too. I know you didn't ask for advise, but please try and put yourself first. Let it be OK to say 'no' to other people and 'yes' to what you need.

p.s. About the sports car: I am probably going to shop for a new car this year, and I am craving an Audi. In a big way. I don't know why; it's totally out of my price range.

10. Jan 3, 2012 #10

Ruffie

Ruffie

Ruffie

Thank you one2one for Taking the time to post your kind words and advice. I am working on trying to put myself first and take care of what I need to in order to heal. Need to just take things as they come and take steps to get to where I need to go physically and spiritually. Healing on both fronts in the coming year is the goal!!

11. Jan 4, 2012 #11

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher

Ruffie not everyone is comfortable doing this but I would highly recommend an hour every other week at a spa for a massage. When I was going through something similar I was desperate to try anything to ease some real fatigue I was experiencing and went in for a relaxation massage. It really was the turning point for me as far as getting back on my feet again. I saw it as a frivolous thing at first but it turned out to be the most responsible thing I could have done. That hour really helped to put me in a state of mind to put things into perspective and clear away the things that were stopping me from moving forward. I would highly recommend it.

You too one2one. I'm actually thinking of going back myself. It really was helpful in ways that were unexpected.

12. Jan 4, 2012 #12

Ruffie

Ruffie

Ruffie

Thanks Lilly I do currently go for weekly massages that the insurance company is paying for. Starting next month I will be paying for them on my own so will be as you said every second week because it does help so much. I am also getting back into exercise slowly as it was just enough to get through a work day and household chores when first injured. Husband and I starting an exercise room in the house with some equipment, some aquacise if there is room in the post holiday class and maybe a little aerobics will help with stress management too.

13. Jan 5, 2012 #13

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

Thank you, Lilly. This is a really good idea.

14. Jan 7, 2012 #14

Lamia

Lamia

Lamia

Like OMG!!

I think for some of us a mid-life crisis doesn't happen because we've never grown up. *that would be me*

willowmoon likes this.
  15. Jan 20, 2012 #15

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Thinking its about time for another midlife crisis -- which usually involves a U-haul truck, a cross country trip, and a new career. Seattle's looking good.

16. Feb 16, 2012 #16

QuasimodoQT

QuasimodoQT

QuasimodoQT

Shy viking

Had to laugh at this.

I had a crisis, and I'm in my mid-life, but I don't put the two together. I think most people would assume it, though, as I moved from Manhattan back to OR, and now am "currently without career path." Now getting my confidence back, and with it, my creative energies, so things are definitely percolating.

17. Feb 21, 2012 #17

BBW Betty

BBW Betty

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw

18. Feb 21, 2012 #18

StretchII

StretchII

StretchII

BBW Betty, I had to go through the same thing. I just gave up my 79'Vette and have to find something more fuel efficient. On the plus side, I found out it's much cheaper to live in beautifull Myrtle Beach SC, than up here in Chicago. Sometimes things work out.

19. Feb 22, 2012 #19

sobie18

sobie18

sobie18

Bass playin' scuba diver

My own personal opinion of mid-life crisis was the idea that since I am 40+ that I wondered if I "still had game." Furthest from my mind, as I don't care to be out in the clubs wearing those dorky tight shirts trying to pick up younger chicks and battling through all of those alpha-males retards. Just not for me.

I ended up buying a minivan for my musical needs and I continue to rock out with my life, my USAF career, and the fact that I'll do the best I can wherever I can.

Plus, I still have my fun/play side, which is the secret to staying young. When people ask me how old I am, I always want to answer 28 or 29, instead of 41...

However, please disregard the grey hairs that are trying to blossom...

20. Feb 29, 2012 #20

BBW Betty

BBW Betty

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw

AHA! The best of both worlds. Last weekend, we found a good deal on a used one of these:

http://www.chevrolet.com/traverse-crossover-suv/

It's red and is roomy enough for me. It's the car I've been wanting but never thought I could have. Win!

Tad likes this.