• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Morbidly Obese?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which term do you prefer for the medical description of supersized people?

• Morbidly Obese

• Fat

• Large

• Obese

• Heavy

• Patient with Complex Needs

• None of the above

• Who cares, it's only words!

Results are only viewable after voting.

BeaBea

Man up or move on!
Hi Folks,

I recently spoke at a Medical Conference called 'Care and Treatment of the Morbidly Obese' After I gave my usual speech and dealt with the questions I ended by making a plea to the Medical professions to stop using this term.

Personally I find it very offensive. Its literal translation is 'dead fat' and even if it once started as a valid diagnosis its now used as a moral judgement. If you are big it gives you an excuse to give up on your own healthcare and if you're smaller it gives you a reason to deny the best care, support and dignity to your patient. It also suggests we are close to death when all the Supersized people I know are all busy squeezing every ounce of fun and enjoyment out of their lives in every way they can.

Now I did point out to the Conference that all of the views I give are my own and that I'm not in any way elected as a Spokesperson, but I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

I'm asking specifically about the least offensive term to be used in a medical sense so I'm afraid choices such as 'Hot' didn't make the poll :) If you decide to answer 'None of the Above' can you let me know which term you do prefer?

Thanks in advance
Tracey

Latest posts

Back