More evidence obesity is not about what and how much you eat.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I actually had a job a couple of years back relating to chromosome stability so I am familiar with these proteins and that is interesting. Given the effect of the protein on several factors in the mice though (as in, it caused a whole metabolic disorder rather than non-pathogenic weight gain) it is unlikely that gene homologues are responsible for weight gain in humans other than those who have a metabolic disorder. Not to mention that there are a bazillon or so genes linked to obesity in mice and whether or not homologues of these genes exist in humans or have the same effect is unknown for almost all of them. Not to mention even if there are homologues it raises the really awkward question of whether or not people are going to start asking for gene therapy to treat their obesity.

Regardless of all my rambling, good find! Very interesting.

HeavyDuty24

Come on rise up
I actually had a job a couple of years back relating to chromosome stability so I am familiar with these proteins and that is interesting. Given the effect of the protein on several factors in the mice though (as in, it caused a whole metabolic disorder rather than non-pathogenic weight gain) it is unlikely that gene homologues are responsible for weight gain in humans other than those who have a metabolic disorder. Not to mention that there are a bazillon or so genes linked to obesity in mice and whether or not homologues of these genes exist in humans or have the same effect is unknown for almost all of them. Not to mention even if there are homologues it raises the really awkward question of whether or not people are going to start asking for gene therapy to treat their obesity.

Regardless of all my rambling, good find! Very interesting.
Beautiful and smart lol.

Latest posts