My biggest fear is...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ODFFA

Growing up I used to have an intense phobia for

PEOPLE :eek:

and social situations of any kind. People just struck me as so unpredictable and.... dangerous? For some reason (oh, I could speculate on a few) I just had this expectation that, one day when least expected, someone was going to erupt and go completely apeshit on me and I'd be totally ill-equipped to handle it. I'm over the vast majority of that ridiculousness now. And I could handle you just fine if you went apeshit on me today.

My fears now are more:

Most insects too (though excluding flies, ants and milli/centipedes).
Heights.
Feeling utterly alone in a relationship. I'd truly rather be literally alone.
Any kind of torture.

Sasquatch!

A wild loser appeared!
Infertility, for some reason.

Also, I used to be petrified of flying bugs, but that's kinda eased off. I'm thinking of starting a bug farm sometime soon. For food.

I fear that a time will come when women won't be clever enough to realise when a man is saying something he doesn't believe just to get in their pants (read: vagina)

cakeboy

Douchepuncher Supreme!
I have a dual fear of the tide of collective idiocy overwhelming civilisation entirely, and of fanaticism. A fanatical mind (religious, political, whatever the fuck) is entirely closed and nigh impossible to open.

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness
I hate posting this cause it's such a pussy thing to be afraid of.

I have a terrible fear of roaches. A roach is scarier to me than having a fucking pistol in my face. I have had a pistol in my face and I understand this comparison.

I. HATE. ROACHES. I made my girlfriend kill a roach the other day and it was very embarrassing. Spiders? Snakes? Anything else under the sun? I will deal with it no problem. But roaches? NOPE. I am terrified of a harmless insect.

Marlayna

I have a terrible fear of roaches. A roach is scarier to me than having a fucking pistol in my face. I have had a pistol in my face and I understand this comparison.

I. HATE. ROACHES. I made my girlfriend kill a roach the other day and it was very embarrassing. Spiders? Snakes? Anything else under the sun? I will deal with it no problem. But roaches? NOPE. I am terrified of a harmless insect.
Roaches are very ugly. They give me the creeps. I'm afraid of getting old, getting sick, and dying... and also terrorist attacks because NY always has a target sign on it. UGH!.:(

Anjula

the bitchy one
ships out of water, sunken ships and the idea of living with someone who will abuse me and not being able to leave

shandyman

My biggest fear is a strange one and quite hard to fully pin down. My biggest fear is to be proven wrong by something that is very obvious. As a result I become obsessive with my work. The fear of someone finding a significant and obvious flaw with my research can drive me to utter distraction.

I quite possibly am mad...

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
My biggest fear is a strange one and quite hard to fully pin down. My biggest fear is to be proven wrong by something that is very obvious. As a result I become obsessive with my work. The fear of someone finding a significant and obvious flaw with my research can drive me to utter distraction.

I quite possibly am mad...
Totally understand this fear, especially at the times when peer reviewers' comments arrive....

Wanderer

Actor at Extra-Large
My biggest fear...

. . .

To be forgotten so completely that it's as though I never existed. Nobody to talk to, nobody to listen to, and never a trace of my path through life.

Tad

mostly harmless
Years ago someone told me something along the lines of "when working with engineers, the rule of thumb I use is that their primary motivation is to not be wrong." Sounds like much the same may extend into the sciences, too?

sophie lou

Right now my biggest fear is being left alone. There are two very special guys in my life who have stood by me through everything and the thought of being without either one of them terrifies me.

I'm scared of waking up one morning and discovering i have done nothing with my life and missed every opportunity that was there for me.

freakyfred

\_(O_o)_/
Never being able to make new friends. I was in an audio chat room last night and everything I said was greeted with awkward silence. And today at work, the same thing kinda happened. I'm afraid I might be getting extremely obnoxious. Maybe it's just the wrong people. Still has me worried.

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

I share this fear. I actually wasn't aware that roaches came in a small variety. The ones that I saw growing up were always large and occasionally flew if they were DTF with other roaches, big suckers;sewer roaches.

I remember sitting on a friends couch and they said "dude, there's a roach next to you." I remember so vividly, I jumped up yelling, turned around and shot a dart from a blow gun and it actually hit the roach. It was the single coolest thing I've ever done and it was complete luck. I can still hear that roach trying to fly away as it was pinned to the floor.

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
Just the phrase "Islamic Sharia Law" spoken in that newsy cadence of Sean Hannity against a backdrop of Qwalli-music.

MrSensible

Welcome to Moonside.
Hmm, I'd have to second the "dying alone" thing--but, like BigWheels, not so much the dying part. I've always had some pretty bad social anxiety/self image issues and it's had quite an effect on the relationship side of things (kind of makes it feel like you're constantly climbing up steep hills, when trying to be socially proactive). I've gotten a lot better about it over the years, but it still creeps back up on me once in awhile. I guess I fear not being able to overcome it quick enough to make the best out of life.

On the "less serious" side of things, I'm not a big fan of creepy crawlies of the arachnid variety. I'll never forget this terrifying experience I had, while sleeping on a bunk bed at my friend's house, many years ago. I was on the bottom (I don't trust top bunks...) and there was a huge hole in the mattress of the top bunk, directly over my head. I'm still not sure if what happened was a result of a very vivid, realistic lucid dream, or if I actually saw it, but I remember laying there seemingly half asleep where I could see, but couldn't actually move (I haaaaattteeee that feeling...) As I looked up at the hole in the mattress above me, I spotted a rather large spider (probably the size of a thick quarter or something) descending downwards, right towards my face! At this point, I'm struggling to break free from that sleep paralysis but regardless of what I tried, I just couldn't move an inch. Then, much to my great relief, it started retracting itself back into the hole and vanished from sight.

When I finally managed to wake myself up entirely, I was so freaked out by it, that I practically ripped that mattress apart trying to find it. Well... maybe that's an exaggeration, but let's just say I performed a very thorough "cavity" search. I never found it again, but it bothered me enough to barricade the opening before I would ever even consider sleeping there again after that, heh.

Incidentally, I don't care much for bunk beds either for some reason...

Latest posts