My fellow video game nerds, whatcha been playing? Part 1

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cookie Faerie

I've been told to play Chrono Trigger lately, and with all the awesome comments about the game I'm quite excited about finding it. Just have to find it and then buy it. =P

DoctorBreen

I just finished Call of Duty 4. It is pretty, but way too short.
I'm on the last level, I set it on hardened so it would be more of a challenge. I haven't been playing on it much this week, with revision and other things to do.

I was just on CNC Generals: Zero Hour. Love the online.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
NO. classics are always better.
The Legend of Zelda, the first one for the NES, was a very good game.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, however, is a masterpiece; and if I had to select just one of the two it's just barely outdone by its predecessor, A Link to the Past- but even that's a close call that I won't state with absolute certainty. Both are far better than the original was.

This does not mean that the original was a bad game, but to say that they're always better is... well, it's a damned fool blanket statement.

KuroBara

"She Coo"
Chrono Trigger is awesome, especially for people burned out/unimpressed with Final Fantasy. I am not one of those people, mind you, but I know some are. As for myself, I have attempted to finish the first Kingdom Hearts, but got sidetracked by my early birthday present, God War II. I stayed up waaay past my bedtime to finish that first boss, and loved every second!! There need to be more men like Kratos. He's the only reason I'm buying a PSP and PS3.

Jack Skellington

Grim Grinning Ghosts

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, however, is a masterpiece; and if I had to select just one of the two it's just barely outdone by its predecessor, A Link to the Past- but even that's a close call that I won't state with absolute certainty. Both are far better than the original was.

This does not mean that the original was a bad game, but to say that they're always better is... well, it's a damned fool blanket statement.
What he said.

Another example, the original Doom is a great classic FPS. But the genre has come a long way since then and there are now far better FPS out there.

Foolish Fool

good analogy.
however, in a lot of cases (thought not nearly all), classics are better than modern games. take the Mega Man and Sonic franchises, for example.
there's also the argument that sequels aren't always better than the one before it. Virtua Fighter 1 vs. Virtua Fighter 2 come to mind...

by the way, TOTALLY disagree with you about OoT vs. LttP. LttP is a killer game, for sure. amazing, really. but OoT is nearly flawless.
furthermore, i will totally go out on a limb here, and say that Link's Awakening is TWICE the game that Link to the Past is. yeah, i said it. and i'll hold that statement until my dying day.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I have been thoroughly involved in doing every teeny thing i possibly can in the new Ratchet and Clank. I know the end of the game is near but I am drawing it out as much as i possibly can :)

then i'll start to retackle Mario Galaxy.. i havent played that all year!

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Lifetime Supporting Member
DM Supporter
I have been thoroughly involved in doing every teeny thing i possibly can in the new Ratchet and Clank. I know the end of the game is near but I am drawing it out as much as i possibly can :)

then i'll start to retackle Mario Galaxy.. i havent played that all year!
Ratchet and Clank is awesome! I've played three of the games. They are always so much fun. I get a kick out of upgrading the weapons! :D

And I just finished Chrono Trigger ending one out of 14! lol :p

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
good analogy.
however, in a lot of cases (thought not nearly all), classics are better than modern games. take the Mega Man and Sonic franchises, for example.
there's also the argument that sequels aren't always better than the one before it. Virtua Fighter 1 vs. Virtua Fighter 2 come to mind...
Classics may have more depth to them than modern games, I can agree with that, and some might play a bit better. I know that I greatly prefer the simpler mechanics of, say, Street Fighter II to the more complex mechanics of the recent games in the series, because with regard to fighting games I'm not serious enough to invest enough time to master the systems (parry, dozen-hit-combos, etc.) so that they are of use to me.

I just stand by my statement that it's not always the case that classics are better.

by the way, TOTALLY disagree with you about OoT vs. LttP. LttP is a killer game, for sure. amazing, really. but OoT is nearly flawless.
OoT is a definite work of art, and I could go on and on about its virtues. The same goes, though, for LttP, and I can't pick one of the two. I'm not saying that one's far better than the other, 'cause I'm still undecided on that.

If you disregard the superficial elements, such as music and graphics, you're left with two games that are incredibly similar. OoT has a gameplay system that makes the best of its new abilities, and the three-dimensional aspect of it adds a lot to the gameplay and makes for some incredibly creative and inspired dungeons and environments. LttP is, in its own way, equally rich in ambience and environment, and has more dungeons, more bosses, and therefore more strategies.

OoT is definitely a more interesting and engaging experience, and its graphics are far better than its predecessor. However, there's something about LttP that makes me reluctant to say that it is a lesser game.

Also, you know something that LttP didn't have? NAVI. That alone keeps it in the running, if you ask me.

furthermore, i will totally go out on a limb here, and say that Link's Awakening is TWICE the game that Link to the Past is. yeah, i said it. and i'll hold that statement until my dying day.
I don't know that I totally agree with that, but I'll be damned if it isn't an underrated title.

Mathias

SAMCRO
My PSP is broken and I don't have a warranty. :doh: Is getting another one throygh E-bay a safe bet?

Falling Boy

Winter is coming..
I'm going old school! We don't have the money for that Resistance: Fall of man!

I got that Chrono Trigger! :wubu: :p

You are the man. That was and still is one of my favorite games of all time. I liked Chrono Cross too but it was nowhere near the perfection of chrono trigger.

BTW I picked up Bioshock and am currently in the midst of it and it rules I must say. Creepy as hell I love it! And still getting my money of out CoD4 by going at it against others on XBOX live.

Jack Skellington

Grim Grinning Ghosts
I am eying up a PSP for the ratchet and clank games :)
The PSP is a great handheld but If you only want it for Ratchet and Clank you might want to pass on it for now. Ratchet and Clank Size Matters is going to be released on the PS2 shortly leaving Secret Agent Clank as the only exclusive. In Secret Agent Clank you also don't play as Ratchet. The characters are Quark and Clank.

Size Matters PS2

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=281859

James

vibeout
so... I just finished geeking out to Assassins Creed...

wtf was going on with that ending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts