My fellow video game nerds, whatcha been playing? Part 1

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
I've got all these great new games for 360 but all I play is skate.

I just can't see myself getting tired of finding random spots and making videos, so Assassin's Creed and DiRT will just have to wait.

Foolish Fool

OoT is definitely a more interesting and engaging experience, and its graphics are far better than its predecessor. However, there's something about LttP that makes me reluctant to say that it is a lesser game.

Also, you know something that LttP didn't have? NAVI. That alone keeps it in the running, if you ask me.
i agree that LttP is a really great atmospheric title. it still gives off feelings of grandeur and wonder to this day, 4 console installments later.
but, you are right. OoT is more engaging and immersive. 10 years later (man, i'm getting old), this game can still evoke atmosphere, emotion, wonder, joy, and thoughts of "holy crap, this game world is HUGE!" more than any other game i've played. even more than LoZ: TP.

...and Navi isn't THAT bad. seriously. it's not like she's chattering every second.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
...and Navi isn't THAT bad. seriously. it's not like she's chattering every second.
You must've only had the sound on during boss battles.

ETA: And emotion, definitely very strong in OoT, but there was at least one scene in LttP that was so strongly moving, and it still gets to me every time I play it. It's just a brief bit, and it's not necessary to go through the entire thing, but if you do... wow.

I'd say that it's about on par with finding out who a couple of the sages are in OoT. Not the forest sage, though; that stands as one of the only scenes in a video game that left me incredibly shocked and saddened.

Candy_Coated_Clown

Well I purchased a PS3 recently...and these are the games I have so far:

1. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (playing the most)
  2. Resistance: Fall of Man
  3. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I look forward to LittleBigPlanet, GTA 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Resident Evil and Silent Hill 5 and a few more titles. I'd also like to see another installment for Dragon Quest.

I am not too thrilled with the huge focus on all of the sports and generic first person shooter games coming out. This was one reason why I wasn't too inspired to purchase a PS3 upon release. The list of games was not an incentive.

I am game freak all around...whether it relates to board, card, casual, console, table, puzzle, word, whatever. I'm obsessive in each category.

Foolish Fool

You must've only had the sound on during boss battles.

ETA: And emotion, definitely very strong in OoT, but there was at least one scene in LttP that was so strongly moving, and it still gets to me every time I play it. It's just a brief bit, and it's not necessary to go through the entire thing, but if you do... wow.

I'd say that it's about on par with finding out who a couple of the sages are in OoT. Not the forest sage, though; that stands as one of the only scenes in a video game that left me incredibly shocked and saddened.
in LttP, you mean the Flute Boy scene?
i found Saria saying goodbye to Link in OoT to be more depressing.

as far as emotionally moving scenes in the Zelda series, Link's Awakening has them all beat.
first, there's the really sweet scene with Marin and Link on the beach.
then there's the big reveal in the Southern Face Shrine.
then there's the ending. damn, that ending was depressing.

AtlantisAK

Lately Ive been playing Fable...I wasnt sure how to think of it in the begining. The graphics were poop, but hey...its an older game. And some of the 'plot' in the begining was so-so.
But this game completely makes up for it by allowing you to be as evil (or boringly good..) as you damn well please. I love this game and am so hooked on it.
Great character customization, quests, in game choices...(I left a beggar to a balvorine...hehehe...)

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
i've been playing alot of ps3 lately. skate, madden 08, call of duty 4 and smackdown vs raw 08. but ever now and then i still play runescape on pc.

if you have a ps3 add me, my psn id is six60six

Blackjack_Jeeves

I'm a pepper, too...
After a long hiatus, one of my favorite games is back in action - Age of Conflict: Strife. It's a text-based internet game, based on Medieval/fantasy military. I consider it Warcraft without graphics, though I suppose it's nothing like that. It takes a while to get used to (even for me, since it was down for almost a year and a half), but having played it for about 2 years before that, I'm very happy to see it start up again.

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Lifetime Supporting Member
DM Supporter
After a long hiatus, one of my favorite games is back in action - Age of Conflict: Strife. It's a text-based internet game, based on Medieval/fantasy military. I consider it Warcraft without graphics, though I suppose it's nothing like that. It takes a while to get used to (even for me, since it was down for almost a year and a half), but having played it for about 2 years before that, I'm very happy to see it start up again.
RPGs are so wonderful aren't they? :D

BigCutieSasha

Fatty McFat Fat
I got a Nintendo DS for xmas and with a the game Hotel Dusk. It started out kinda slow, but James and I have been playing it the past few night before we pass out and its getting very interesting. Although managed to get us kicked out twice! ;)

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
Well I purchased a PS3 recently...and these are the games I have so far:

1. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (playing the most)
  2. Resistance: Fall of Man
  3. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I look forward to LittleBigPlanet, GTA 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Resident Evil and Silent Hill 5 and a few more titles. I'd also like to see another installment for Dragon Quest.

I am not too thrilled with the huge focus on all of the sports and generic first person shooter games coming out. This was one reason why I wasn't too inspired to purchase a PS3 upon release. The list of games was not an incentive.

I am game freak all around...whether it relates to board, card, casual, console, table, puzzle, word, whatever. I'm obsessive in each category.
I fully agree on the overemphasis on sports games. I want some good action adventure games. I am still thoroughly enjoying Ratchet and Clank though :D

Foolish Fool

I got a Nintendo DS for xmas and with a the game Hotel Dusk. It started out kinda slow, but James and I have been playing it the past few night before we pass out and its getting very interesting. Although managed to get us kicked out twice! ;)
Hotel Dusk is... strange. interesting, though. the game tells a good story.
and the artistic style reminds me of the "Take on Me" video. :p

to anyone with a DS:
if you enjoy puzzles, Picross DS is a MUST. it's deep, fun, and totally addicting. plus you can create puzzles and trade 'em online!

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
Superstar Mode in Madden 08 is so much fun now that I sort of got into it. Because I always manage to screw up that bench reps minigame and wind up with a MLB who has a 0 strength rating I decided to play as a member of the rookie class.

I settled on Dwayne Bowe, first game of the season was going great for about a half when I was all about beasting defenders and scoring three touchdowns off of quick outs and curls. Then reality struck, Damon Huard threw five pick-sixes, Eddie Kennison played like a complete punk and whiffed on every block assignment while Herm Edwards decided to run the fourth quarter comeback attempt with playcalling so conservative he might as well taken a knee for the last ten minutes.

Post game I trash the coaches, my teammates and demand a trade. The Ravens pick me up so I demand another trade, landing me on the Vikings and saddling me with a reputation as a conceited ass a game into my NFL career.

Awesome.

Jack Skellington

Grim Grinning Ghosts
Okay, I downloaded the new Turok demo off of Playstation Network tonight. It took over four bloody hours and then another five minutes to install it and after all that, it wasn't even that good. Didn't even support rumble. What's up with that?

The first Turok on the N64 totally rocked. After that they just can't seem to really get it right.

~da rev~

Call me Axel
I've been constantly playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on xbox live

MissMirandaRae

im not to advanced my still favorite game for at least the last 6 years is Pharaoh for the PC

Jack Skellington

Grim Grinning Ghosts
My Sis lent me her copy of Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s so I've been playing that today. I've been playing it with my PS3 gamepad because her PS2 guitar doesn't work on the PS3.

I finally got to see what's everyone been talking about. It's kinda fun. Maybe not shooting Zombies and Aliens fun, but still pretty cool. So far I've beaten the easy mode and nearly all of medium. I've also unlocked the bonus Grim Reaper character and fish guitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts