My fellow video game nerds, whatcha been playing? Part 2

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Deacone

For Azeroth!
Luckily mine isn't buggy but I'm really enjoying the story so far, like that there's loads of different ways to start game too (I've gone with casteless Dwarf).
Yah, quite a few people had the bug problem. I managed to get away without it. I think I did 4 DA:O playthroughs lol - and only one DA2. It's rather good though! I hope you're enjoying it :)

spookytwigg

Have an A-1 day
Yah, quite a few people had the bug problem. I managed to get away without it. I think I did 4 DA:O playthroughs lol - and only one DA2. It's rather good though! I hope you're enjoying it :)
I'm really enjoying it yeah, this is exactly my kind of game. I'm already pretty sure that I'll be getting the second one as well.

Forgotten_Futures

I'm really enjoying it yeah, this is exactly my kind of game. I'm already pretty sure that I'll be getting the second one as well.
I'll caution you that, thought DA2's story is as excellent as everything else BioWare has ever kicked out the door, the game mechanics are jarringly different. (And there's one specific line of dialog in the first few minutes that pisses me the fuck off, mostly because you can't counter it at all.)

Deacone

For Azeroth!
I was upset the DA2 didn't really follow the style of DA:O but in itself it still is a good game.

lizzie_lotr

Currently playing Kingdoms of Amalur, and enjoying it! I'm patiently waiting for Dragon Age: Inquisition :D:D:D

Highsteppa

Kneel before Zod
Been playing a lot of Battlefield 4 lately, with the usually weekend bouts of Call of Duty: Ghosts and Call of Duty Black Ops 2 with my clan.

Want to get back into Diablo again, but I'm considering trading in for the Ultimate Evil edition.

tankyguy

The *actual* COH/COV or one of the fan re-creations? Linky?
A large fan group pooled their money and formed a holding company to buy the IP from the company. They're currently negotiating, but what's on the table is the existing game, server and the IP but *not* the source code or player data.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/09/02/ncsoft-might-allow-players-to-resurrect-the-city-of-heroes-ip/

Nothing set in stone, but the fact they've gotten this far and the company has been entertaining talks with them since March is impressive.

Forgotten_Futures

A large fan group pooled their money and formed a holding company to buy the IP from the company. They're currently negotiating, but what's on the table is the existing game, server and the IP but *not* the source code or player data.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/09/02/ncsoft-might-allow-players-to-resurrect-the-city-of-heroes-ip/

Nothing set in stone, but the fact they've gotten this far and the company has been entertaining talks with them since March is impressive.
So I'd have to rebuild my Buff Spider and Fire/Regen Brute from scratch, eh?

How exactly can you get away with selling the IP but not the Source? Aren't they effectively the same thing?

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Lifetime Supporting Member
More and more ARAM. Just went 14-7-11 playing Fizz for the first time. I felt so lost. :p I'm still sort of hit and miss, but I seem to be doing better with champs I know little about using. I did all right with Galio, Vel'Koz (that disintegration ray O_O), and LuLu.

tankyguy

So I'd have to rebuild my Buff Spider and Fire/Regen Brute from scratch, eh?
Yup. And earn back all your badges. And re-buy any costumes and power sets you purchased, unless they plan to give them to everyone for free. It's a little too soon to speculate how they plan to run their business model.

How exactly can you get away with selling the IP but not the Source? Aren't they effectively the same thing?
Well, no. The IP is the characters, story and setting. The source is just game code.

Look at the Arkham games (going to infer a lot and simplify for sake of example).

DC Comics/Warner Bros owns Batman, his enemies and Gotham City. But the developer, Rocksteady owns the source code.

This means Rocksteady can't just make another Batman game if they feel like it. It also means DC Comics can't take the game/code and give it to another studio to make a new Batman game, or have them modify it into a Green Arrow game.

In the case of City of Heroes, the fans are looking to buy the IP so they can make new 'City of' games and make the un-offical fan projects official and legitimate.

They're looking to buy the game's compiled binary files and servers so they can bring the old game back up as-is until those projects are done. Without the source code, they can't add anything to the game or change it, but at least people can play it and generate some income to fund the sequel projects.

They'd love to get the source code, because it would mean they could keep adding content to the old game, but it's inferred NCSoft has a hard policy about not releasing code to outside parties. That's suspected to be why past efforts to buy the game had failed, they wont give up the source for anything. The speculation from those in the know is that it's because many NCSoft games share bits of code, and it could compromise their other games if the code ever got out. For example, Lineage 2 players could get their credit card info stolen because it shared in-game store code with CoH and whoever bought the CoH source code them left it sitting on an insecure server that got hacked. The policy makes sense and NCSoft is just trying to cover their butts, legally speaking.

None

Enemy of Office Furniture
Been playing Xenoblade Chronicles, it is fantastic. A wonderful surprise and brings me back to the golden age of PS2 JRPGs. It was worth the exorbitant price GameStop charged for a used copy.

Also, I got my copy of Destiny for review, but can't do shit with it until servers go live on Monday.

Mathias

SAMCRO
PS3: Black Ops 2, Dante's Inferno

3DS: Fire Emblem Awakening, Mario Kart 7, Streets of Rage

spookytwigg

Have an A-1 day
Just got playstation all star battle royale from ps plus, it's a Sony version of super smash bros, beating up parapper the rapper as a big daddy. So far it's been fun, I imagine it'd be great for a party.

ShyGuy

Been playing Xenoblade Chronicles, it is fantastic. A wonderful surprise and brings me back to the golden age of PS2 JRPGs. It was worth the exorbitant price GameStop charged for a used copy.

Also, I got my copy of Destiny for review, but can't do shit with it until servers go live on Monday.
I was a huge fan of Xenogears, and actually really liked Xenosaga...

At the moment I'm playing Skyrim, but I may have to catch up on my Xeno.

flyingsolo101

Hey, I would like fellow video game nerds' opinion on this topic: Should I trade in my PS3 for a Wii U? The circumstances being that my girlfriend has a PS3 and a PS4, so we would just share a system, and I could keep all the games that I want that she doesn't have. OR, should I just use that money to get more 3DS games? Also, is there anyone here who is getting Super Smash Bros. 3DS?

(I apologize for not really posting here too often. You guys always post on games that I haven't gotten the chance to play, but I'd like to be more active on here.)

None

Enemy of Office Furniture
Hey, I would like fellow video game nerds' opinion on this topic: Should I trade in my PS3 for a Wii U? The circumstances being that my girlfriend has a PS3 and a PS4, so we would just share a system, and I could keep all the games that I want that she doesn't have. OR, should I just use that money to get more 3DS games? Also, is there anyone here who is getting Super Smash Bros. 3DS?

(I apologize for not really posting here too often. You guys always post on games that I haven't gotten the chance to play, but I'd like to be more active on here.)
If you can do an even trade for a Wii U or a good discount then definitely given you have a PS4. The PS4 and Wii U is the best system combo for getting the best games this year and in the future. Unless you have a desire to play some older PS3 stragglers.

I'm getting Smash Bros. for 3DS (and likely Wii U because I have problems).

flyingsolo101

If you can do an even trade for a Wii U or a good discount then definitely given you have a PS4. The PS4 and Wii U is the best system combo for getting the best games this year and in the future. Unless you have a desire to play some older PS3 stragglers.

I'm getting Smash Bros. for 3DS (and likely Wii U because I have problems).
I definitely hope to do an even trade, or at least sell it on Craigslist, or eBay. I was in Gamestop today (lots of buzz marketing in this post), and they said that even with my PowerUp Rewards Pro membership, I would get $50-$60 for the PS3 with a controller, assuming everything is ship-shape. As far as I know, the only game I would be getting for Wii U is Super Smash Bros. But it would look GREAT on the big screen.

Latest posts