Quantcast

Myths about Fat People- Episode 1: Twinkies

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

TheMildlyStrangeone

I would really like to start a series of discussions in this forum dedicated to breaking some of the myths and stereotypes associated with fat people.

I always cringe and get annoyed when I hear people lobby the insult "lay off the twinkies". Now, I may be completely alone in this sentiment, but I have never had a Twinkie in my life. I am sure they are fine product and rumored to never expire (another myth http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/twinkies.asp). But why is that the go to insult against a fat person. There are far greater caloric dense foods to choose. Why not "lay off the Bloomin Onion" or something along those lines? :mad:

I might actually turn this into a video and write some copy to it.

Fat Brian

retarded disfigured clown
Twinkies are considered a non-food suicide confection by the diet-nazis'. They are thought to be low class, basically the lowest common denominator.
Its seen as an easy insult, that fat people are to ignorant to know "da Twinkeez r evul fahtz". It combines fat bigotry with the feelings of superiority of the fat bigot. It makes them feel better, not only that they are thin, but also that they are smart enough to know the dangers of consorting with Twinkies.

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow
I can confidently say i'v never eaten a 'twinky' in my life....maybe because they're not really around in England.

stldpn

I'm not a twinky fan. And I think twinky love can also be directly linked to what region of the US you grew up in. Being a Richland County South Carolina boy, if I want something truly disgusting in it's massive calorie intake efficiency I'll eat a moonpie.

Fat Brian

retarded disfigured clown
Moonpies are the best, 5-10 seconds in the microwave and BAM!! Heaven:D

I love how this mythbusting session has turned in to the foodee board.

stldpn

Moonpies are the best, 5-10 seconds in the microwave and BAM!! Heaven:D

I love how this mythbusting session has turned in to the foodee board.
everything I touch lately... side effect of being calorie restricted I guess.

imfree

In Remembrance
I'm not a twinky fan. And I think twinky love can also be directly linked to what region of the US you grew up in. Being a Richland County South Carolina boy, if I want something truly disgusting in it's massive calorie intake efficiency I'll eat a moonpie.
...snipped IMG...

In Tennessee, we say "muen pah an are oh see co-cola"!:D

*I don't like twinkies and pastries, I like food that has
substance to it, like pizza and pasta:happy:!

shortfat

Ah, a person that speaks my lanquage. As a child i was once ask if i wanted any ice cream and I replied, No, but i would like some gravy.

Bearsy

Genuinely Disingenuous
Never been a fan of sweets. I'm sure I've had a Twinkie or 2 in my childhood but most of my weight has come from absolutely loving meats cheeses and breads. I even scrape most of the frosting off of my cake when I have it. It's too sweet for me.

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
I hate twinkies. I'd much rather have the chocolatey varieties of Hostess and Little Debbie Snack Cakes. And Moon Pies are amazing

Paquito

don't July to me
I like Twinkies on occasion, but they're far from my favorite.

Unfortunately, I got hit with some Twinkie-related insults in middle school. Bad memories. :/

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness
I had a twinkie once. It really wasn't very good. I'd rather have one of those hostess pie things. Those things are delicious.

escapist

Belt Buster!
I'm with ya on this one. Most people assume I like sweets and candy and I really don't. I'd rather have 6 rolls of sushi...or a steak...or salmon....or so many other things.

Wanderer

Actor at Extra-Large
Twinkies' reputation is at least partially because the filling is made of shortening and sugar. It's basically a Crisco-filled ladyfinger. Likewise, Oreos are another "fat joke food", since their filling is sweetened shortening.

Of course, I'm in Texas; I like a Twinkie once in a while, but Moon Pies (as long as they're fresh) are the best, especially with RC Cola. :eat2: That said, I admit to being a well-fed carnivore with a soft spot for lamb... (drool)... (swallow).

(That said, I thank well-dressed potatoes for most of my weight; they're a staple food in my family, in many forms. Potato salad (with mustard), mashed potatoes (with extra butter), baked potatoes (with sour cream, and please none of that light stuff the fast-food places serve), potato pancakes... :eat1: :eat2: )

Carl1h

figure O
Sugar and fat alone are in no way sufficient to either produce or maintain a figure such as mine.

Buffetbelly

Nosh, destroyer of snacks

These are actual facts about Twinkie Eaters!
Sounds like they probably apply to everyone on this forum, right?!

Latest posts