NAAFA's Fat Fridays Virtual Social Club

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Donna

Irascible Bee
The Fat Fridays Social Club is held via Zoom and is an affinity space only for folx who identify as fat. (Ages 16+)
Next gathering is 5/27, 5:30 - 7:30 PDT

Each month has a theme. The theme for May is #FatMovies. Here's what you can expect:
1. Introductions - Name, pronouns, location (learn the First Peoples of your location at native-land.ca)
2. Themed discussion about the Fat Movies
3. Themed game - Fat Movie-themed Et Cetera! (Winner will choose next month's theme!)
4. Open social time

Themed dress is totally encouraged! (But not required.)

You must RSVP at bit.ly/ff-may22

(For those unaware, NAAFA = National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance, a non-profit human rights organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support. On the web: https://naafa.org)

mathfa

Cool idea! Not one of the fat folks here so I won't attend but I like the organization!

Donna

Irascible Bee
I’m a long-time member of NAAFA. They’ve struggled throughout the years to define themselves and their goals. Until recent years, I always wished they would concentrate more on the political side and less on socializing. My very first freelance writing jobs was for their newsletter, so they’ll always hold a special place in my heart.

Our Dimensions community has its roots in NAAFA actually. The paper publication started in the eighties by the editor of Dimensions Magazine, Conrad Blickenstorfer, as en evolution of the FA-SIG (FA special interest group) newsletter of NAAFA.

I wonder if there would be any interest in something similar to the NAAFA Social Club for Dimensions forum members. We could do it via Zoom and include not just fat people, but their admirers as well. I’m not sure of logistics, but I’d be willing to do some research and help organize if there is any interest.

Latest posts