Quantcast

National Geographic Channel: "Taboo: Fat"

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Judge_Dre

Taboo is an excellent show. For all those on this board who worry about the "freakshow" aspect of it, that's really the opposite of its intent. While definitely the shock factor is what gets people to watch the episodes on such outre subjects as drugs, funeral traditions, sex, blood sports, exotic cuisine, etc., the show really tries to break the down the cultural barriers we have towards these subjects. What's normal for one group of people is shocking to an other. We have to admit, that is an apt description of our subculture. It's better to have anthropologists and serious researchers at National Geographic profile our culture rather than exploitative talk shows and diet gurus.

FatAndProud

Taboo is an excellent show. For all those on this board who worry about the "freakshow" aspect of it, that's really the opposite of its intent. While definitely the shock factor is what gets people to watch the episodes on such outre subjects as drugs, funeral traditions, sex, blood sports, exotic cuisine, etc., the show really tries to break the down the cultural barriers we have towards these subjects. What's normal for one group of people is shocking to an other. We have to admit, that is an apt description of our subculture. It's better to have anthropologists and serious researchers at National Geographic profile our culture rather than exploitative talk shows and diet gurus.
Umm, excuse me...but is that not what these so called anthropologists and 'serious' researchers are doing at National Geographic? They are using MASS MEDIA (which has NEVER been an empirical/validated outlet for 'research) to convey a subculture. Not only are they using a method (mass media) that is NOT PROVEN TO RETRIEVE EMPIRICAL RESULTS, they are further exploiting their 'study' by using shock factors (i.e. fat man eating himself to death, stuffing kids....ohhhhh and there's also a bash that caters to obese...yay? uh no.). I still say it's not a positive step in terms of breaking down cultural barriers. If these were real researchers, they would do a qualitative analysis of fat people as a whole, then onto each society, and further evaluate their data and share the data in an unbiased way. Taboo is meant to shock, period. It's not meant to enlighten or teach us something. That's what peer-reviewed articles are for.

Rowan

wickedly delicious
Rowan, you indeed made the cut! I don't know to what extent of course, but your beautiful face is in the ad twice.
In a preview I saw, it showed you dancing with someone.....
Sweeeeet :D

We all know I havent met a camera I didn't like LOL
Hopefully someone will tape it and link it...I've been dying to see it since they did the shoot at the bash!

Judge_Dre

Umm, excuse me...but is that not what these so called anthropologists and 'serious' researchers are doing at National Geographic? They are using MASS MEDIA (which has NEVER been an empirical/validated outlet for 'research) to convey a subculture. Not only are they using a method (mass media) that is NOT PROVEN TO RETRIEVE EMPIRICAL RESULTS, they are further exploiting their 'study' by using shock factors (i.e. fat man eating himself to death, stuffing kids....ohhhhh and there's also a bash that caters to obese...yay? uh no.). I still say it's not a positive step in terms of breaking down cultural barriers. If these were real researchers, they would do a qualitative analysis of fat people as a whole, then onto each society, and further evaluate their data and share the data in an unbiased way. Taboo is meant to shock, period. It's not meant to enlighten or teach us something. That's what peer-reviewed articles are for.

National Geographic is a respected institution for over 130 years. They don't do exploitation. When the magazine first came out, it was infamous for publishing photographs of native women topless. That wasn't exploitation, that was truth. Have you ever watched Taboo? They do a great job explaining the reasons and motives behind the various taboos on the show. On topics like sports, extreme food and sex they usually have a doctor explaining the physical effects such activity might have. I have never seen any judgment passed on the people on the show. All the professors are very professional and objective. Force-feeding and immobility aren't pleasant topics, but they do fall under the broad category of "Fat." Taboo really gives a balanced view of various cultures. If tomorrow's episode is exploitative, that would be a first for the show in its four seasons.

indy500tchr

I am just wondering where you are seeing these preview vids? The only two I have found are about the very large man and the tribe that force feeds their young girls.

superodalisque

exactly. they use a lot of enlightened language because its not acceptable anymore to openly do the freakshow act as it has been done in the past. now they use patronizing language to cater to the same emotions and ignorant presumptions. just the title of the series alone was enough without actually seeing the messed up shows they've done in the past was enough to let me know what the outcome would be. the first point being is that for me fat isn't a taboo dammit!

t3h_n00b

I think there is a problem with the outlook of the documentary. It basically others fatness and an attraction to it as something strange or an exotic oddity that is really screwed it. There's no way to do our community any justice with that outlook. What makes our community what it is is our presence in western media-driven societies. We are HERE and we're normal folks. I haven't seen it yet (obviously), but this documentary doesn't seem inclined to show that.

Judge_Dre

It seems to me some people are pissed of that us "normal" BBWs and FAs are being lumped in with primitive natives and strange foreigners. Everyone who has been profiled on that show believes that they are normal and what they do is not taboo. That's the whole point. In an anthropological standpoint, these so-called "messed-up" people are no more normal or weird than we are. I'm sure if people who have actually watched the show before realize how respectful Taboo is to its subjects. I am choosing to be optimistic about tonight's episode. We'll just have to watch it and find out.

Tmhays87

Reckoner
I am just wondering where you are seeing these preview vids? The only two I have found are about the very large man and the tribe that force feeds their young girls.
Same here.

Can anyone point us in the right direction? :confused:

Jes

is oddly aroused
I'd appreciate it if everyone who sees her/himself portrayed (or caught on film) would post where and when. thanks!

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
It seems to me some people are pissed of that us "normal" BBWs and FAs are being lumped in with primitive natives and strange foreigners. Everyone who has been profiled on that show believes that they are normal and what they do is not taboo. That's the whole point. In an anthropological standpoint, these so-called "messed-up" people are no more normal or weird than we are. I'm sure if people who have actually watched the show before realize how respectful Taboo is to its subjects. I am choosing to be optimistic about tonight's episode. We'll just have to watch it and find out.
I sort of wondered that myself... Thinking about it more, the combination of "normal BBWs", force feeding West Africans, and an immobile male sort of struck me as doing a show combining the fashion industry with anorexia / pro-ana and Asian feet binding, or something like that.

It will be interesting to see how National Geographic handles the subject at very least. Btw... I just realized that we don't have National Geographic on the Dish that we just subscribed to. If anybody can record and post this show that would be greatly appreciated!

the_captain

Yabba Dabba Doo!
I wonder if Nat Geo sells their programs on DVD, like History Channel and PBS do?

the_captain

Yabba Dabba Doo!
Sweeeeet :D

We all know I havent met a camera I didn't like LOL
Hopefully someone will tape it and link it...I've been dying to see it since they did the shoot at the bash!
Can I have your autograph, Rowan? :D

superodalisque

putting a BBW/BHM and the people who love them in the same category as a man who carries on an adult relationship with a plastic doll is a bit incongruent. i doubt you'll find much of that in america or the rest of the world. but what you do find particularly in the US is lots of people carrying on perfectly normal relationships with fat people everyday since more than half of america is fat. the odd angle is weird at best. i know a lot of people feel comfortable happy and even excited by the feeling that fat is a taboo and a preference unique to them or a small group but thats fantasy and not reality. the hatred of fat and the misunderstanding of admirers is not the result of rarity or oddity but moreso of the brainwashing of the diet industry over the past one hundred years. it will be interesting to see who the advertisers will be.

i've seen the show before and i think it has an appearance of respectfulness but as a fat person i find the approaches listed for the program on the website as patronizing steretypical and more of the same old same old. of course on a show like "taboo" they only want to show extreme cases and not just regular fat people living thier lives like everyone else as most of us do. that would defeat the purpose of making us look like a taboo. instead of painting all of fat people with a broad brush maybe they should have done a show on the fattening culture of the people in mauritania? but even that wouldn't be a true taboo because its a culture wide practice thats approved of.

i also resent the idea that fat people are an example of people who are taboo but like the other people on the series don't feel they are taboo.

FatAndProud

putting a BBW/BHM and the people who love them in the same category as a man who carries on an adult relationship with a plastic doll is a bit incongruent. i doubt you'll find much of that in america or the rest of the world. but what you do find particularly in the US is lots of people carrying on perfectly normal relationships with fat people everyday since more than half of america is fat. the odd angle is weird at best. i know a lot of people feel comfortable happy and even excited by the feeling that fat is a taboo and a preference unique to them or a small group but thats fantasy and not reality. the hatred of fat and the misunderstanding of admirers is not the result of rarity or oddity but moreso of the brainwashing of the diet industry over the past one hundred years. it will be interesting to see who the advertisers will be.

i've seen the show before and i think it has an appearance of respectfulness but as a fat person i find the approaches listed for the program on the website as patronizing steretypical and more of the same old same old. of course on a show like "taboo" they only want to show extreme cases and not just regular fat people living thier lives like everyone else as most of us do. that would defeat the purpose of making us look like a taboo. instead of painting all of fat people with a broad brush maybe they should have done a show on the fattening culture of the people in mauritania? but even that wouldn't be a true taboo because its a culture wide practice thats approved of.

i also resent the idea that fat people are an example of people who are taboo but like the other people on the series don't feel they are taboo.
Next, I hear NatGeo respected researchers are doing a Taboo show on African Americans in political power. They are interviewing Obama.....

Same difference. Just saying.

Latest posts