Nature vs. nurture fat edition

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

EtobicokeFA

Proud FA
DM Supporter
We all heard about the nature vs. nurture debt, well I wanted to apply to size acceptance community for debt.

The reason I want to do this because of the following:

1) We are running on the concept that our level of acceptance towards our fat bodies is mostly due to society, ie nurture.

2) FAs are running on the concept that their attraction to fat bodies is something they are born with, ie nature.

3) (Correct me if I am wrong) Feedie and others that love being "fluffy" are born that way, ie nature.

So, let talk about where is the line between nature and nurture, when it come to fat!

*Fires starting gun.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Just to complicate things a little bit......I think that a lot of things are set by the time we are old enough to really remember much, but I think some of the things where we say "I was made this way" may happen either as very young children/babies or even in utero, but are not genetic per se.

During those periods of very rapid development in so many ways, I think one stone really can divert the river. These things may fall half-way between nature and nurture, as they are not so much matters of upbringing (how we are taught), but just what happened at really critical phases.

That aside, for me I was chunky as a kid and I'm chunky as an adult. I knew by at least kindergarten that I had a soft spot for fat people and thought being teased for being fat was stupid. My parents did teach us not to make fun of poeple, but were not fat accepting at all, so I don't think my attitudes towards fat were nurtured by them. But could my tendency to be fat have been affected by the fact that I was sick a lot during my first couple of years of life, for example? Maybe. And when some of sexual identity was being imprinted in the age 2-4 range, was the fact that enjoying your food too much taboo possibly what led me to have sexual feelings about food? Maybe. And maybe not, I truly don't know.

-Ed

GTAFA

Uh oh, another incurably verbose canadian male FA (sorry guys, i always love your posts and thanks for making me feel safe about cranking out long barackobamaesque paragraphs). Sorry, I am losing the struggle to keep it brief. (and I suspect that someone has covered this somewhere on this site)...I'm either typing or eating.

1) I believe human survival was influenced by the Ice Age (pale northern europeans?), as well as assorted recent plagues (Irish potato famine eg). Those who lived likely were selected for their ability to gain weight. Imagine a famine or an ice age: YIKES no food, and no prospect of food. When you get that one little bit to eat, your body makes the most of it. If you were already predisposed to have a thin body you likely were among the kids in the litter who simply died.... Is this scientific? no, just a personal theory, without a shred of evidence to back it up. But it might make interesting fodder for a more scientific study by some of the intelligensia in New England where (coincidentally) there seem to be more universities per square mile, and more gorgeous ssbbws per square foot, than anywhere else on the planet. It might be interesting to see if there's a genetic correlation for BMI or the rate of weight gain. Imagine an experiment where you first assemble a few people or populations, and investigate the rate of weight gain between the competing groups. No I didn't mention this 100% for its titilation value or to give someone an idea for a story (although it's an intriguing thought)...But seriously, without such tests it's really all speculation.

2) I tend to believe we're omnisexual as children. I know there appears to be literature showing that sexual preference is genetic rather than environmental, but in my unscientific way, i believe it's still something environmental that makes the difference (maybe the ones who have the nerve to come out with the preference have a genetic thing, while those who stay in the closet lack that gene?). I meant "omni-" to include every possibility under the sun, including size preferences, kinks and more. As we grow up I think we have experiences that influence our comfort level with certain possibilities. For example, as babies our bodies are handled, cuddled, and sometimes, abused and mishandled (but who remembers?). Maybe love comes to be associated with a loud voice? Or your mom is screaming into the telephone while holding you...? You might grow up to want that in the bedroom (and not remember where that taste came from)...but nevermind kinks.

Size is pretty fundamental stuff, no? As children everyone is bigger than us. As we grow and as we acquire sexual desire (some sooner, some later), those discoveries may be pleasant or unpleasant. I remember sitting on a couch nestled between 4 big gorgeous girls: because I was 8 and my sister and her girlfriends were 16 (for all I know they were all tiny for their age... but to me? they were big and cute and couldn't stop giggling). Heaven! If the experience had been unpleasant, if they had been mean to me or abusive, I might have grown up with phobias about any girl who was bigger than me. As it turns out I grew up an FA. Did I learn to be an FA from such an experience, OR are we perhaps normally ALL meant to be FAs (and open to everything), and then gradually lose our love for this or that, when a bad thing happens, even if the memory might be repressed long ago in childhood...?

One additional (and yes, self-aggrandizing) thought: I had sexual desires before my growth spurt. If you start wanting girls when you're only 10 or 11 years old, and everyone you know is huge, that's likely to have a different impact than if you discover girls when you've already had that growth spurt and the girls around you are smaller than you.

Until someone can capture every memory and decode those memories (because what did it all mean, after all?),...we'll never know... and so what. Mysteries are cool.

(big sigh)

beginner FA

The nature vs. nurture debate is always an intersting one and when applied to these subjects it could be very intersting but I don't consider myself qaulified to have a difinitive opinion on the matter.:confused:

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
https://www.facebook.com/drunkentempest, M
We all heard about the nature vs. nurture debt, well I wanted to apply to size acceptance community for debt.

1) We are running on the concept that our level of acceptance towards our fat bodies is mostly due to society, ie nurture.

2) FAs are running on the concept that their attraction to fat bodies is something they are born with, ie nature.

3) (Correct me if I am wrong) Feedie and others that love being "fluffy" are born that way, ie nature.

So, let talk about where is the line between nature and nurture, when it come to fat!

*Fires starting gun.
Interesting idea for a thread.

1. It like many things is really going to be complex, but I think societal pressure to become thin does have a great impact on the major lack of acceptance. I think that's regardless of any reason for one to be fat. It's not the only factor, but it is a large piece of the puzzle.

2. It could be, and genes are probably strong in determining it for most, but I really don't think my genes helped me much. The only other person in my family that openly likes larger women is my brother, and he generally likes thinner women more. The men in my family often date/marry women that have a little extra, but not fat per se.

That's of course just me though. I had my own factors from the world around me affect me, as well as others. I'm sure a lot of FAs have it in their blood, but I found it late that my genes has much effect as it might some others. I liked thin women exclusively all the way up until I was 12. Before then, I had some negative thoughts about fat people (And me being considered the heavy kid didn't particularly help), and I still did until five years after that situation that happened. But who knows? Maybe it was lying dormant somewhere, and it awakened. lol

3. Could be. But my answer here is similar to number 3: It will vary.

I liked GTAFA's answers. I'd like an experiment where there's two groups from birth. One group lives an entire life with a society with neutral perceptions (Or positive on both ends of the spectrum) of weight, and the other is just where we are now. Both groups have some members that are fat. and not. I want to see what happens then.

Mack27

AΔΦΆΓΙΑ

*Fires starting gun.
1. Not accepting our fat bodies is due to society, ie nurture. Sometimes accepting is something akin to "de-programming" like kids rescued from cults get.

2. I think this has to do with early childood sexual imprinting. It works out to be the same thing for all intents and purposes but there it is.

3. See 2.

Fetishes can evolve and change. I know for a fact there are former anorexics who completely rebelled against their former feelings and became big plumpers and sexualized it, I don't know how they managed it but there has to be something there ingrained since childhood to work with I think. This woman on youtube gained weight in the belly area during a stint on unemployment and got fascinated and turned on by it. She had an auto-erotic fetish about her own belly that she didn't even know about for her entire life. I don't know what to say except, if there is something in your nature to work with it can be nurtured in a new direction.

EtobicokeFA

Proud FA
DM Supporter
1. Not accepting our fat bodies is due to society, ie nurture. Sometimes accepting is something akin to "de-programming" like kids rescued from cults get.

2. I think this has to do with early childood sexual imprinting. It works out to be the same thing for all intents and purposes but there it is.

3. See 2.

Fetishes can evolve and change. I know for a fact there are former anorexics who completely rebelled against their former feelings and became big plumpers and sexualized it, I don't know how they managed it but there has to be something there ingrained since childhood to work with I think. This woman on youtube gained weight in the belly area during a stint on unemployment and got fascinated and turned on by it. She had an auto-erotic fetish about her own belly that she didn't even know about for her entire life. I don't know what to say except, if there is something in your nature to work with it can be nurtured in a new direction.
You brought up a interesting point, regarding preferences/fetishes that are only appears after an event or period of time. I wasn't sure how often this actually happens in real life.

But, this go back, and speaks to the difference between people who been attracted to BBWs/BHMS for a long as they remembered and those who never thought they would until they meet that one person.

squidgemonster

foolish FA
I have realised that I liked big girls from being 13,I could have dated one of the prettiest girls in my class at school,and my classmates were shocked when I turned her down (too slim of course,but never told them my preferences,I was 21 or so before I was brave enough to be open about my admiration for BBWs)
the saddest thing is that the fattest girl in my school turned me down as she didnt believe anyone would like her, I suppose when you are 14 and 300 pounds you see it all in a bad light and we are talking well over 20 years ago here.
I strongly believe that you are born with the FA instinct,similar to some people who are born to be gay etc,its in you from the start and always will be
and some people will insist they can change my ways through persuasion,and that being the way I am is wrong,but I say thats the way I am,whether others think it wrong or not,and wouldnt have it any other way.