Nerd Credentials

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Hole

You look great in your glasses, btw!
Aw, thank you edx. You are always so sweet. :)

Um...sight impairment = Sexxxay. You should get some of those glasses with the 'just for show' lenses...that is a really, really good look for you.
(Odd, people are turned on by glasses...how about hearing impairment!?! Nobody says 'Oh Gawd, she's wearing a hearing aid...chicks with hearing aids are so damned Hawt!).

Braces are cute...

-Uriel

PS: Nerd!
I'm glad you think the sight impairment gene that runs in my family is cute.:p
My sister Lena actually has frames that she just wears for show. They are not expensive either. I might give that a go.

StarMoon

I have a dual degree in computer science and history making me uber nerd! I think I win this thread ;-)

Uriel

Nacho Ninja
Aw, thank you edx. You are always so sweet. :)

I'm glad you think the sight impairment gene that runs in my family is cute.:p
My sister Lena actually has frames that she just wears for show. They are not expensive either. I might give that a go.
Ha, I missed this...

Well, you've seen me wearing glasses, though you said 'Take off your glasses;, then wonder at my typos...

-Uriel

PS: TWINKIE!!!

iheartsquishys

I know the scientific names of over 1000 fish species

I keep a plastic baggie in my pocket in case I come across a new bug or animal I've never seen so I can take it home and look it up

For my 12th birthday I got a plankton sampler, it was awesome

I bought a fake ID when I was 16, not to buy booze but to get a job at the tittie bar in the next town so I could buy a microscope. I quit after a week cause I got the money I needed.

In college I built a false wall in my door room to cover up my fish tanks. We were only allowed to have 50 gallons per person. I had 1500. I made fake documents to make it seem like I was ordering chemicals for our chemistry lab to get the chemicals and materials I needed to build a flow through system. I used it to run an experiment to prove my professor wrong on a minute detail about Perca flavescens territoriality. Totally worth it.

The first time I got a boyfriend off I took a sample of the sperm to look at under my scope. After I apologized he let me try it again in my parents hot tub. However the temptation to see if it survived the heat and chlorine got the better of me. :doh:

I wanted to get a tattoo of the cladogram for Hypentelium nigricans (Northern hog suckers) on my back but I was afraid some of the classifications might change and then having it would be torture.

I have bleached the carcasses of several fish and rebuilt their skeletons.

After a week in my aquatic invertebrates natural history class the professor asked me to take over.

I plan vacations around fish spawning seasons. Scuba diving during lepomis (sunfish) season, snorkeling during acipenseridae (sturgeon), and hiking during salmonidae (salmon).

My colleagues nicknamed me "The Book".

I have probably 200 preserved fish specimens in jars. I could have my own natural history museum.

I spent my first 3 paychecks from my grown up job on biology and natural history books I couldn't afford while I was in school.

I'm obsessed with old maps and the interstate system. If I'm told any two large-ish cities in the U.S. I can tell you how many miles and what interstates are between the two.

I'm sure there is more but I'll end my nerdiness for tonight.

PS. Dendrology makes you awesome!

ClockworkOrange

A Voice from Catland
I've been playing video games since I was 4 years old w/the Intellivision. My present set-up is a gigantic 2 player arcade controller that USB's to my comp where I have over 5000 original arcade games :) most played: NBA JAM Tournament Edition (but it's dumb because they took the ability to break the backboard in the 4th quarter out :( that's a huge fail imo). I was definitely an RPG sap for a long time, Phantasy Star games on Genesis etc. Love Genesis.

I spent more time in mall arcades than in school :/

Besides video games I played all kinds of games involving strategy and brain power, everything from chess to stratego. I win nearly every game of monopoly I play.

I used to play D&D with all of my metalhead cousins, I started DM'ing at age 13.

I used to hate music as a kid, but I had a 45 with all the disney stories in the world, tron, and the haunted sounds of disney. I listened to that the most.

By the time I was 8 I started taking drum lessons because I could get killer green drumsticks. So sick. I've played guitar/drums in various bands and projects over the years, and while I play less and less, I still love it.

I cruised around 5th grade+ w/denim jackets and backpatches, shout out to Iron Maiden, Slayer, and Megadeth, and of course in later years I fell into the hands of The Cure, The Smiths, The Misfits, Joy Division, Christian Death, and Nirvana.

I'm a big fan of old Weezer and Pavement too.

I collected baseball/hockey/football/basketball cards for a number of years, but my interest turned to comic books, and eventually to magic the gathering. I was on the MTG pro tour on occasion, and even won a state championship! saucy lol. My interest soon turned to poker. I got so good at poker that I made it my job, and it's good that I poker for a living because I have a sleep schedule that's totally random and rarely involves being awake during the day.

I collect everything from board games to action figures, dvd's, posters, books, and ANYTHING involving tron.

I love the power glove, it's so bad!

I was so enamored with old NES games, that I started an eBay store buying/selling them a few years ago.

Garbage Pail Kids are awesome, and always will be.

I really like movies that people either don't remember or just don't like. The Last Starfighter, The Last Dragon, TRON, Flesh Eating Mothers, can't... go.... on...

Beavis & Butt-Head and Sifl & Olly have seriously influenced my degenerate vocabulary over the years.

I really wish they'd put Liquid Television out on DVD. One of MTV's best shows, back when MTV was cool.

I guess I don't really have any technically sweet nerd skills :( In fact reading this stuff sounds like I'm more of a geek than a nerd. How can I come to terms with this :(

OMG I almost forgot. I have magic rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

William

Hi

How many of you are watching the show "Heros" about people with super powers and the show has a sub-theme about comic books?

I am thinking of the two nerds in the comic bookstore that know everything about the comicbook in question.

William

olwen

Disco Bear
Glad this thread was dredged up. I'll have fun reading all the responses and then making my private nerdy pretentious judgements on all of you. Mwahahahahaha. ^_^

I think my creds qualify me thusly:

1. Scored a professional journalist reading level by the 7th grade on our state reading tests. I was 12.

2. Been reading science fiction since I was about 11 years old. Having worked in a library and a bookstore for years and years helped me to amass an impressive collection of sci-fi tomes.

3. Took a sci-fi literature class in college and I'd already had all the texts. I didn't have to buy a single book for that class.

4. Was a trekkie for years, and yeah, I prefer trekkie to trekker.

5. Been to a few Star Trek conventions and got James Dohan to sign a book for me. That was cool. Even cooler, during the Q&A I raised my hand to ask him a question and Doohan pointed at me, and some nerd jerk next to me pushed me aside to ask his question but Doohan shot him down and asked me to ask my question. I rode that happy wave for weeks after that. What a gentleman.

6. Was a card carrying member of the Star Trek Nit Picker's Guild and I own technical manuals for ST and TNG. Yeah I can calibrate your dilithium crystals Jack.

7. Had subscriptions to Discover and Scientific American for years.

8. When I was 12 I wanted to be a rocket scientist and an astronaut.

9. My first computer was a commodore-64 back when you had to know DOS to even make a PC do anything....what the heck is DOS again? LOL

10. Don't even get me started on Anime, manga, and comic books. And yes, I minored in Japanese just so I could watch and read the things in Japanese, and no I don't remember most of it. LOL.

The only sad part to all of this is that I SUCK at math. The number of times I've taken algebra and precalculus isn't even funny. Don't ask me to solve matrices, cause I'll just draw thru the numbers and give you back a picture of a cat or something. LOL. Had I really learned math I would be a nuclear physicist right now. I know it.

ETA: ooh I forgot a few

11. I played Magic the Gathering for a few years, even been to see some tournaments.

12. I started playing D&D recently and yes, I'm a bit ashamed I started so late. I was getting into it, and now our dungeon master is moving upstate, just when I was learning the rules for the D&D 4. No more D&D games. :(

Ichida

For valentines day I am getting my guy 2 gift certificates to pladium - so we can go together!! And he is getting me the World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King so we can go beat up bad guys together lol.

I don't know if you can get any more nerdy than playing two cows online and blowing kisses at each other...There is a quest that will allow me to get a valentines dress to wear, and he said he would help me. I feel pretty nerdy!

I discovered my guy has a thing for power armor, so my nickname for him is now "My Knight in Power Armor" instead of shining armour...so much more sci fi that way....

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
I discovered my guy has a thing for power armor, so my nickname for him is now "My Knight in Power Armor" instead of shining armour...so much more sci fi that way....
Jump jets and SAMs launched from wrist cannons are very sexy.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I know the scientific names of over 1000 fish species

I keep a plastic baggie in my pocket in case I come across a new bug or animal I've never seen so I can take it home and look it up

For my 12th birthday I got a plankton sampler, it was awesome

I bought a fake ID when I was 16, not to buy booze but to get a job at the tittie bar in the next town so I could buy a microscope. I quit after a week cause I got the money I needed.

In college I built a false wall in my door room to cover up my fish tanks. We were only allowed to have 50 gallons per person. I had 1500. I made fake documents to make it seem like I was ordering chemicals for our chemistry lab to get the chemicals and materials I needed to build a flow through system. I used it to run an experiment to prove my professor wrong on a minute detail about Perca flavescens territoriality. Totally worth it.

The first time I got a boyfriend off I took a sample of the sperm to look at under my scope. After I apologized he let me try it again in my parents hot tub. However the temptation to see if it survived the heat and chlorine got the better of me. :doh:

I wanted to get a tattoo of the cladogram for Hypentelium nigricans (Northern hog suckers) on my back but I was afraid some of the classifications might change and then having it would be torture.

I have bleached the carcasses of several fish and rebuilt their skeletons.

After a week in my aquatic invertebrates natural history class the professor asked me to take over.

I plan vacations around fish spawning seasons. Scuba diving during lepomis (sunfish) season, snorkeling during acipenseridae (sturgeon), and hiking during salmonidae (salmon).

My colleagues nicknamed me "The Book".

I have probably 200 preserved fish specimens in jars. I could have my own natural history museum.

I spent my first 3 paychecks from my grown up job on biology and natural history books I couldn't afford while I was in school.

I'm obsessed with old maps and the interstate system. If I'm told any two large-ish cities in the U.S. I can tell you how many miles and what interstates are between the two.

I'm sure there is more but I'll end my nerdiness for tonight.

PS. Dendrology makes you awesome!
you're freakin' amazing! FTW!

viracocha

Hot like sauce
5. Been to a few Star Trek conventions and got James Dohan to sign a book for me. That was cool. Even cooler, during the Q&A I raised my hand to ask him a question and Doohan pointed at me, and some nerd jerk next to me pushed me aside to ask his question but Doohan shot him down and asked me to ask my question. I rode that happy wave for weeks after that. What a gentleman.
Scotty is made of awesome! I'm so jealous!

PS- I tried to rep you, olwen, but it won't let me. Expect trekkie rep soon...

~Katy

Rolf

My creds?

Hmm.

To start with I have degrees in physics and chemical engineering, and briefly held a minor in the history of science. I was in a physics PhD program studying chemical physics with a professor at a national lab until I realized he had the only research program I liked and he didn't like me. (also I my grades were ho-hum because I was spending 10 hours a day in WoW).

Now in a more timely fashion. I have worn glasses since about the time I could walk. I wasn't placed in the gifted class because of my horrible spelling and handwriting, yet when tested in math I hit the roof and they had to have me take algebra in 7 grade (so I took AP Math in 11th grade). I stage managed the play the gifted kids wrote (which was a real genius move to have a play about slavery in a school with 1 black kid), which mean I directed their 'inspired' work.

I did student government, student newspaper, Forensics, worked on the school webpage, did video editing, oh went to the national quizbowl championship at Disneyworld, did Math and German Clubs, founded the Robotics Club, took courses at the community college between summers, except when I went to Space Camp and my senior year when I went to Germany as a Bundestag scholar.

I picked my college cause I could do my double major of physics and chemical engineering in 4 years (could of done pure physics in 3) and I got a full ride. I did Gaming and Flight Clubs there along with SPS and AIChE and was president of my college Anime Club.

When I burned outta grad school I went to work in Semiconductors as a process engineer. I spent most of my money on DVDs and books.

Oh did I mention I spent a few thousand man-hours in world of warcraft? And have been trying to be a writer which I've had a few minor things I've done for nerd websites and gotten paid (but am trying to now do some more pro-work).

View attachment 0923071544.jpg

TygerKitty

OOOOOOO fun thread! I'm a total nerd though I'm not sure I could out-nerd some of you lol!

I'm a science nerd...

Ever since I was little I've had science books that I read for fun and experimented with... Art and Physics is one of my most favorite books ever!

I have a BS in physics with astronomy; minors in chem and math and am working on a MA in earth science.

I've never wanted to be famous but I've ALWAYS wanted a chemical element named after me lol!

I have published astrophysics research on interstellar medium and won a grant with the Wisconsin Space Conference... not to mention presenting my work there and being involved in the program.

I have taught astronomy for a "Girls in Science" program, physics for Upward Bound, I teach earth science, physics, and chemistry right now; I've taught earth science for a university and have tutored in chemistry.

The Piled Higher and Deeper comics describe my life pretty well not to mention the show Big Bang Theory... although the more I teach the more I get away from those lifestyles!

Science nerd for sure... I totally dislike most things sci-fi though :blush: lol (*hides* don't kill me!)

Latest posts