New Year's Food Traditions

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
My mother was Ukranian which alternately was taken over by the Polish and the Russians before they completely became independent. But I tend to think more of the Ukranian traditions are most similar to Polish ones.
On New Years' Eve we always had pickled herring. I still do. In fact, many a year I have forgotten to put it on that week's grocery list and had to buy it last minute.
But, thanks to reading this thread while making my list, I remembered. So, thanks for that.
I personally only ate it when I was young because I had to, but now I actually like it. My Polish friend lives across the street and his wife doesn't usually buy it for him, so I give him some.
Happy New Year's to all! Please remain happy, healthy and safe!

Christine

BubbleButtBabe

No one cares anyway
If you are going to use jowl,I would suggest frying it like you would bacon..We always fry ours that way..With salt meat it is always boiled first then just added to some oil and fried without flour..

Neck bones are good if you can find some that are meaty..Make sure to clean them before you cook them..Cut out all the big arteries and make sure they are washed well..Put them in a pot with enough water to cover,add some onions and salt and pepper..They are great with a big pan of cornbread..

Isa

In search of....
I always assumed you ate black-eyed peas on New Year's Day because it would make whatever else you ate during the year seem like an improvement. :eat1:
Good one. Never acquired a taste for the buggers but eating them on New Year's Day is mandatory in my family. I am damn near 40 and my mother will keep me in her eyesight like a hawk tomorrow until at least a spoonful has gone into my mouth.

Theatrmuse/Kara

Warrior Momma
Black eyed peas, collard greens and corn bread here at this southern household on Jan. 1!!!!!!!!!!!! Yum!:eat1:
Hugs and Happy New Year ya'll, Kara

Brandi

The Emotional Cook
Our tradition is prime rib, mashed potatoes and carrots sauteed in butter, homemade biscuits.

Dessert is generally whatever kind of pie my nana's in the mood to make lol

Friday

Not fap material. Bye!
I believe Black Eyed Peas represent coins. Love them, cooked with smoked ham hocks or even a few slices of bacon since hocks have gotten so trendy as to be laughably expensive. A little spinach sauteed in garlic butter and a pan of cornbread (northern please) and we're set.

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Our tradition is prime rib, mashed potatoes and carrots sauteed in butter, homemade biscuits.

Dessert is generally whatever kind of pie my nana's in the mood to make lol
GOOD tradition!! :eat2:

ValentineBBW

seeking Vegas
My family has had a long standing tradition for New Years Day of an all you can eat food day. We make dips, cheese balls, deviled eggs, potato salad, little smokies in whiskey sauce, ham or ham loaf. Snacking starts as early as you want, usually no earlier than 10:00, although in the past few year the start has gotten later and later. Anything is fair game and you eat whenever, however you want.

2008 Menu:

Southwest Dip - single batch
Blue cheese ball
Clam Dip - single batch
Oyster Dip - single batch
Little Smokies in whiskey sauce
Deviled Eggs
Ham Loaf

I won't tell you how many batches we made in years past :blush:. Thankfully we've scaled way back.
I felt like bumping this for those who have joined us since this thread started.

This years menu varies only slightly

Cheese/Salsa hot dip - velveeta and salsa with taco meat and refried beans.
Shrimp cocktail
Clamp Dip
Oyster dip
Cheese ball
Little Smokies in chili/cranberry sauce
Deviled Eggs
Wine/Beer

I haven't started partaking of the food yet, other than taste tests but I am on my second glass of blueberry wine :blush: and watching the Rose Parade

How do you celebrate New Years?

Tracy

Fat & Sassy
Fried cabbage with pork, black eyed peas, and corn bread. This is not one of my favorite meals but my mother always will fix this for health, wealth and happiness.

Latest posts