• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

New Year's Food Traditions

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

saucywench

Found on the 'Net somewhere:
New Year's Food Traditions
  • Eating noodles at midnight is customary at Buddhist temples in Japan.
  • A German/Pennsylvania Dutch tradition is to eat pork and sauerkraut on New Year's day for good luck.
  • It is a Cuban tradition to eat 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight. The 12 grapes signify the last twelve months of the year.
  • German folklore says that eating herring at the stroke of midnight will bring luck for the next year.
  • Eating pickled herring as the first bite of the New Year brings good luck to those of Polish descent.
  • In the southern United States, it is believed eating black eyed peas on New Year's eve will bring luck for the coming year.
  • Also from the south comes the custom of eating greens such as cabbage, collard greens, mustard greens, kale or spinach to bring money.
  • One more from the Southerners: eating cornbread will bring wealth.
  • The Southern custom of eating greens can be found in other cultures as well, although the cabbage can take many forms, such as sauerkraut or even kimchee.
  • In the Philippines, it is important to have food on the table at midnight in order to insure an abundance of food in the upcoming year.
  • Boiled Cod is a New Year's Eve must in Denmark.
  • Olie Bollen a donut-like fritter is popular in Holland for New Year.
  • Black-eyed peas, fish, apples, and beets are eaten for luck at the Jewish New Year's celebration (not celebrated on Jan 1).
I was in chat and asked around (before I had to wind up Googling and found the above) about something--I couldn't remember whether eating blackeyed peas (and hog jowls, in this case) was a tradition celebrated on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. Some weren't aware of this tradition, so I figured it must be a southern thing, and apparently it is. Anyway, I've found my answer, so I'm off to the kitchen to put the peas on. Fortunately, peas are softer than beans, so I won't have to soak them very long. I know more what to do with salt pork (dredged in flour, then fried) than hog jowl, though (I guess I'll use it as flavoring for the peas, although I'm assuming I could do the same with it as I do with the salt pork). I'll also make some cornbread (in a seasoned iron skillet, of course) and some cabbage, for good measure. Sounds like typical southern fare to me. :D Have a happy new year, everyone.

Latest posts

Back