Not a Fat Admirer, but writes WG Fiction. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Story Writers Forum' started by lovelymars908, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 5, 2018 #1

lovelymars908

lovelymars908

lovelymars908

BHM Writer

I wanted to get this off my chest. The title essentially says everything about the subject matter in this post. (sorry if this is in the wrong forum!)

I'll be blunt: I am not a fat admirer in the slightest and I never was. I'll just leave it at that I'm only on the sidelines of the FA community where having my interests aligned with them are concerned. One thing is certain that I came to enjoy writing weight-related fiction that started almost five years earlier and it's been a major literary source of inspiration ever since. I admit my writing, in particular, is hugely impacted by me not being a traditional FA is going to be handled a lot differently than other writers, such as being non-erotic. One big factor is evident that I don't write about FA-characters or chubby chasers because I lack the exprerience of being one or the other.

But I'll be honest that I only talked about this once to a few close people but I'm curious from hearing opinions from more writers. What would you think of non-FAs who writes weight gain fiction and how their perspective affects the habits of their weight-related fiction? I'm just curious about how other writers would receive it.

Thanks.

2. Feb 6, 2018 #2

StrugglingWriter

StrugglingWriter

StrugglingWriter

It's an interesting combination, to be certain. Can't comment specifically about you since I haven't seen any of your writing, but mostly I have one thought.

Cruising through boards here and other places I've noticed a few differences between people who post there. One of the differences I've noticed is one of respect: some people post pictures of people gaining weight and present it in a positive light, whereas another set of people post weight gain photos and are generally positive but have a degrading slant to their comments that colors the whole post. I wonder about this second group of people as fat admiring per se. In that second instance I wonder if the degradation is the primary interest and the interest in weight gain is just incidental. So, I wondered if this is what happens with your fiction.

I've come to think that in weight gain fiction the weight gain is like a character--perhaps even the main protagonist. Since weight gain is generally a negative for life functioning, it seems to me the only thing left for the development of this character would be aesthetic, sexually or otherwise. The only naturally "degrading"--and I hesitate to use this word--aspect of fat admiration is that someone's passion for food leads to loss of control, with weight gain as the consequence. (The loss of control can be the erotic part.) So I'm left wondering why you would be interested in making this protagonist the center of your story without the accompanying admiration.

3. Feb 6, 2018 #3

lovelymars908

lovelymars908

lovelymars908

BHM Writer

The comparison of people liking the degradation more than the weight gain that's being just incidental side effect is... pretty accurate to how I see my fiction. But to answer your question about why I write weight stories is ultimately my writing preferences and interests can't be any different than someone writing science fiction or mysteries. Yes, the weight gain can seen as incidental because I care about the story and other elements, but I feel the thought would be a bit hypocritical to say that you can't write a weight gain story without the accompanying eroticism when many genres. Which is not true, because does every story needs to be erotic? The truth is I like writing about weight gain because I like the concept and wanting to see it in other aspects (me writing about it is a conscious choice, not incidental effect).

I know you haven't read a word of my work, but it shows proof of it.

4. Feb 6, 2018 #4

StrugglingWriter

StrugglingWriter

StrugglingWriter

I suppose there's a semantic thing here, which would be "weight gain" fiction versus "weight-related" fiction. I would guess most "weight gain" fiction would put the weight gain as the defining element of the story and is the perspective I was focusing on. "Weight-related" I imagine could mean the incorporation of that element into the fiction in a significant way as an intentional story element. I can think of two detective stories in which the main detective is overweight and is a big part of that character's persona, but the defining genre is the detective story. Clearly these were intentional decisions by the authors for their characters, and those decisions might have reflected an interest in the phenomenon, but I wouldn't call them weight stories.

5. Oct 23, 2018 #5

Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas

I personally don't think you have to be an FA to write good weight or weight-gain fiction, although it would most likely change the way you approach your story. I myself get a little tired sometimes of the "drool, drool, oh, look how fat she's getting" type of fiction and would like to see more stories that are a little less blatant and more refined. My own stories tend to feature a BHM combined with a normal-sized FFA, not because I'm really into the weight gain aspect, but more because I identify with and have sympathy for the fat male character and the possibility of him (finally) finding happiness in a relationship, especially when he's often been rejected in the past because of his weight. Main thing for me is the quality of the writing and the interest generated by the story.